• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Yoshiki, Gackt to Start Band

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shirokiryuu

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 11:08 pm Reply with quote
Webki wrote:
How can you not like Gackt? He claims to be a 500 year old vampire for Christ's sake!

lol Anime hyper. well i'm not too fond of Gackt too much, i guess i haven't listened to enough of his music yet. I'm more of a L'arc/ hyde fan. It makes me crack up seeing that on the tofu records forum there are a gazillion hyde fans and but not as many gackt fans. in fact, there are quite a few who dislike him greatly. But this is only because tofu attracts many hyde and l'arc fans.

I hope tofu records will expand their music libraries to other companies, even if they can only release sony labels right now.

Anime cry and they said they wouldn't release the older albums too.
mufurc

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 5:01 am Reply with quote
JMays wrote:
elphin wrote:
Is there any conformation of this on Gackt's side?

Come on, you don't think one of the most successful artists in Japan's history is making this up, do you?

Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if Gackt didn't know about this yet. :3 Yoshiki must be pretty desperate to have a successful project (otherwise I have no idea why he'd team up with Gackt, of all people) - the royalties from X/Japan releases should pay good money but the bands he produced have mostly left him by now and he hasn't really had any successes on his own musically. I guess he must be tired of living off of a more than 10 year-old glory...

Anyway, I don't like neither Gackt nor Yoshiki, but I'm curious of how this will turn out. It's kind of like a trainwreck...
violetsquirrel

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 5:19 am Reply with quote
mufurc wrote:
JMays wrote:
elphin wrote:
Is there any conformation of this on Gackt's side?

Come on, you don't think one of the most successful artists in Japan's history is making this up, do you?

Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if Gackt didn't know about this yet. :3 Yoshiki must be pretty desperate to have a successful project (otherwise I have no idea why he'd team up with Gackt, of all people) - the royalties from X/Japan releases should pay good money but the bands he produced have mostly left him by now and he hasn't really had any successes on his own musically. I guess he must be tired of living off of a more than 10 year-old glory...

Anyway, I don't like neither Gackt nor Yoshiki, but I'm curious of how this will turn out. It's kind of like a trainwreck...

Er... Gackt and Yoshiki are really good friends. Which I imagine is the reason they're going to make a band together. Yoshiki hasn't had musical success since X-Japan (if we ignore being asked to compose a piece for the 10th anniversary of the Emperor of Japan's ascension to the throne Razz) because he's been mostly hiding himself away working feverishly on Violet UK, amongst various movie projects and other things (read his myspace...). He could have success any time he wanted...
omnistry

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 2:14 pm Reply with quote
Although I never really could get into X(Japan), I really respect the work of Yoshiki; and the idea of him and Gackt making a band together is quite fantastic. Let's cross our fingers and see if Tofu will release it.
Hawaiian _Gurl808

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 9:00 pm Reply with quote
First of all i was bummed that i couldnt go to otakconthis year i really want to go since that Yoshki was a guest , i have been a fan of X Japan back in the early and mid's 90's . This is great news Very Happy

Gackt and Yoshiki is awsome Surprised

Last edited by Hawaiian _Gurl808 on Sun Aug 06, 2006 9:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Haru to Ashura

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 9:06 pm Reply with quote
violetsquirrel wrote:
I sincerely hope that by "band" they mean there's going to be other people involved who can make them sleep and eat occasionally... Cause, seriously? Gackt and Yoshiki? If left to their own devices they'd probably just work until they both collapsed. Or they strangled each other.

XD lmfao, it's so true. They're both such workaholics... if you start to see their ribs poking out again, that's a bad sign!!

Quote:
I mean, Gackt's not exactly known for playing nicely with other people in terms of his creative vision.

Haha, Gackt isnt' exactly known? Compared to power-producer Yoshiki, Gackt's like a free-love laid back hippy. I mean, have you ever seen footage of Yoshiki yelling at his sound mixers when they make mistakes? XD And i quote - warning, profanity: spoiler["Just fxxking do it! Fxxking do it now! What is your fxxking problem?"] Aah, to be a perfectionist. <3

Quote:
but the bands he produced have mostly left him by now and he hasn't really had any successes on his own musically.

Um...no? The TraX are selling out shows in Japan and albums in Korea, and in the late 90's, Yoshiki is the one who got Dir en Grey on their feet. And no sucess on his own? Every other time the man utters the words "Violet UK" he's on Japanese television instantly. And composing for the Emperor of Japan might just be a big honor. ;)

According to rumors flying acorss lj-land, at the panel Yoshiki 'promised' the crowd that Violet UK would play at least one show in the US and Europe, as well as Yoshiki and Gackt's new band. Normally I'd ignore such promises from a musician, but Yoshiki has a history of only canceling concerts when he hurt himself and needed to go the hospital, so maybe his words are worthwhile.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
violetsquirrel

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 10:29 pm Reply with quote
Haru to Ashura wrote:

Haha, Gackt isnt' exactly known? Compared to power-producer Yoshiki, Gackt's like a free-love laid back hippy. I mean, have you ever seen footage of Yoshiki yelling at his sound mixers when they make mistakes? Anime hyper And i quote - warning, profanity: spoiler["Just fxxking do it! Fxxking do it now! What is your fxxking problem?"] Aah, to be a perfectionist. <3

Heh, yeah, but I figure at least Yoshiki has experience working with other people in a band. There's a difference between making sure your minions get things absolutely perfectly right, and not being able to accept anything other than exactly what you imagined creatively. Ever seen the lyrics to "Little by Little" that Masa wrote almost immediately after leaving GacktJOB? He knew that he was going to just be a member of a backing band, but he found having to act exactly the way Gackt told him to to be too difficult.

Gackt doesn't appear to work well when he has to share his creative ideas with other people. But I guess since this seems to be just a side project (not that we've heard anything from him yet...) maybe he's willing to compromise *shrug*

And I don't think that word has quite the same meaning to Yoshiki as it does to the rest of us, he seems to like using it even more than Hyde does
Haru to Ashura

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 10:51 pm Reply with quote
I see your point, but Gackt has experience being in a group band. Mana was in charge of Malice Mizer; Gackt took orders, to a more or lesser extent.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
violetsquirrel

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 2:09 am Reply with quote
Yeah, but look what happened with that. He may have taken orders from Mana and Kozi, but he was always trying to have more influence in the creative process. I think in the chapter before it he says that he basically joined MM in order to get well-known enough to do his own thing. He left MM in order to be able to do whatever he wanted, so I find it interesting that he's going to try working with someone else now...
DriftRoot

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 1:04 pm Reply with quote
Given Gackt's recent involvement with Square, a la Dirge of Cerberus, spoiler[and the super secret ending, 'nuff said for those who care, for those who don't, he's there, in the flesh as it were and he's not going away anytime soon, probably.] the idea of Square letting him go at this point is something to mull over, and a Yoshiki/Gackt combo on future FF, particularly FF7 incarnations, is something else to mull over. I can hear the fanboys screeching now.
Victorian Lolita

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 1:21 am Reply with quote
Wow, I've been gone awhile...

Now that I'm over the initial trauma of the news, wow. I was in shock for almost an hour. Then I bitched to my boyfriend about it.

How could the man I admire most, and the man I loathe the most, possibly join forces? It's all too much for me.

As I was explaining it all to my sister I made a comment on how they couldn't possibly get along; they're too much alike. And she had this to say:

Quote:
AyaMikageofAnC: they're not exactly the same...one's an artistic genius, the other one is an ass who thinks he is

Don't take offense, it's all in good humor. Laughing
Goruhgurl

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 3:14 pm Reply with quote
lol Which one is which for you? At first I hated the news, since I've never heard of Yoshiki and I love Gackt solo. But I heard people say Yoshiki is pretty good, so I'm willing to give them a try before I say I hate or love them.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2