• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Anime Expo to Host J-Pop Band Nirgilis

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:47 pm Reply with quote
(sigh) Once again, I'm still not impressed with AX's guest list. Thus far, this has to be one of the worst AX guest lists ever.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:01 pm Reply with quote
Really?

Really?

Holy crap, some Californians must live in some sort of fantasy bubble.

That guest list is absolutely amazing. Hell, if A-kon had just one on that list (Kalafina), I'd be so friggin happy.

Guess it goes to show that you can't please some people, no matter how hard ya try.
Ryvius213

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:10 pm Reply with quote
I'd say Kalafina and Hatsune Miku (not a real person, but I'd count it) are pretty good guests. That said, I guess the list would be disappointing compared to last year's. (May'n, Eri Kitamura, both the seiyuu and the American voice actor for Kamina from Gurren Lagann, Mell, a surprise appearance from Yoko Kanno, etc.) But you can't expect something that amazing year after year.
bahamut623

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:17 pm Reply with quote
Officially jealous. Nirgilis is a great band. I hope we get someone as good for NYCC/NYAF (maybe I'll cross my fingers for Base Ball Bear)
TokyoGetter

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:19 pm Reply with quote
Rad news.

They put on a great show!
Razzuel

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:28 pm Reply with quote
Oh hell yes! This year's AX just keeps getting better and better. I can't wait to go.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:35 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo: I'm getting sick of the effing JP record companies buying their way into the GOH list with their flavor-of-the-month acts. Even AM2 at least has more people who have something to actually do with actual anime and manga than AX. KOR fans are the only ones who are gonna benefit from this con so far. And it's ridiculous that AX couldn't get more interesting guests when it should be easier, since more people than usual would eagerly want to leave the island for a few days after the quake. I mean, Animazement had Satoshi Kon's wife, FFS, and all we got is the MegaTokyo guy. Mad
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:38 pm Reply with quote
I think a correction is in order. I don't remember Nirgilis appearance at Anime Matsuri but they were at AnimeFEST in Dallas last year (2010).

AnimeCons.com agrees with that.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:19 pm Reply with quote
=D I love this band, Im listening to there song "kiseki" right now !! xD
Splitter

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:29 pm Reply with quote
Cutiebunny wrote:
(sigh) Once again, I'm still not impressed with AX's guest list. Thus far, this has to be one of the worst AX guest lists ever.

Sweet baby Jesus, you are ungrateful.
Asrialys

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:38 pm Reply with quote
Cutiebunny wrote:

Obviously subjective. Heck, I'm not fans of any of the guests, but I'd like to see Miyuki Sawashiro and the Miku concert.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:24 pm Reply with quote
HeeroTX wrote:
I think a correction is in order. I don't remember Nirgilis appearance at Anime Matsuri but they were at AnimeFEST in Dallas last year (2010).

AnimeCons.com agrees with that.

I was at the concert at Anime Matsuri. They were there.

But yeah, their 2010 appearance at AFest is more recent.
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:06 am Reply with quote
Splitter wrote:
Sweet baby Jesus, you are ungrateful.

No, I just know when a convention has managed to tick off everyone in the industry. Ever wonder why few prior AX guests return to AX? Do you think it's because they weren't invited or that they're no longer popular enough to be invited to AX? No - it's because many of them did not enjoy how they were treated by AX staff.

I find it a bit sad when 'smaller' conventions (ie. the Animazements & AM2s of this world) get more well known anime/manga industry guests than AX. AX has the KOR creator, which is great except that most of the attendees have never heard of KOR because it was a series that happened before most of them were born.

Yeah, I'm sure that AX can come up with all the excuses they'd like (though the 'Oh - the earthquake!' story is pretty lame considering that many of the conventions who managed to snag anime industry guests happened a couple of months prior to AX), but in terms of people actually involved in the production of anime and manga, this is the worst guest list I've seen for a convention of this size.
Sailor S

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:09 am Reply with quote
Asrialys wrote:
Cutiebunny wrote:

Obviously subjective. Heck, I'm not fans of any of the guests, but I'd like to see Miyuki Sawashiro and the Miku concert.

Indeed, one's likes and dislikes are very subjective, so to some people I'm sure this is an amazing guest list. Me, I'm not a huge fan of musical acts, mostly because I tend to skip over most OP/EDs unless they're extremely catchy, and even then I'll rarely know who's singing it, so I'm just not really big into the jpop/rock music scene. I'm much more interested in meeting Japanese voice actors/actresses and directors, which this convention seems much lighter on than last year. At least as far as ones I'd like to see. Again, that's all subjective. Add in the fact that I've already seen Kalafina at Anime Boston a few years back, and other than maybe seeing the Miku concert, I don't feel too bad about not being able to go to AX this year.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:35 am Reply with quote
I'm the opposite. Musical guests are the type of guests I'm most interested in seeing and meeting. Followed by artists/character designers then voice actors and industry guests.

I'm way psyched about Hatsune Miku but all the other music acts and singers will probably be enjoyable for me although I'm not really familiar with the other ones that they happen to be hosting this year.

I love concerts and I'll go to as many as I can except for artists I know I'm not interested in. Music is always a highlight of anime for me as I probably spend more time actually listening to songs than I do watching anime.

If I've felt I've enjoyed all the concerts, it will make up for the lack of manga artists/character designers that I'd prefer to see but aren't going to be at AX.

I've met my share of favorite artists already like Ryo Mizuno and ABe Yoshitoshi.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2