• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Basilisk Site Online

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 1:08 pm Reply with quote
Well that site just makes my interest in this series grow. So good job.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Someone_II

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 1:13 pm Reply with quote
It's airing here with a PG rating and while I think it derserves at least a 14+ why the hell is there an age verifacation? There's nothing on that site that seems particularly inapproprate.

Edit: Checked out the site and wow, it's airing in US with a TV-MA but airing in canada with a TV-PG...wierd.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 1:18 pm Reply with quote
In the U.S. it is being released with an MA (Mature, 17+) rating, and from what little I know, it deserves it for graphic violence and possibly sexual situations. I think they need the age verification because the show itself has inappropriate content. Rather stupid since there is no way to prove that what you enter is true, but I suspect its more to cover their rears should some lawsuit come their way for whatever stupid reason. It's a minor inconvenience anyway, nothing to get worked up over.
Someone_II

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 1:28 pm Reply with quote
Sorry about that, I hadn't checked the rating American before I posted last time. And if I seemed to be getting worked up over it I didn't mean to sound like it, I just found it odd.

Hell of a difference between Canada and USA in this case though, wouldn't you agree?
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 1:32 pm Reply with quote
I'm not sure about the difference in other cases or what kind of material a Canadian PG or 14+ label usually covers, so I really can't say.
Someone_II

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 1:44 pm Reply with quote
Generally
TV-MA=18+ or 14+
TV-14=14+ or PG
TV-PG=14+, PG or G (depending)
TV-G=G
TV-Y7=C8
TV-Y=C
And I'd defenatly argue that Basilisk deserves a 14+ here based on it's content but it only got a PG.
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 7:07 pm Reply with quote
Someone_II wrote:
Generally
TV-MA=18+ or 14+
TV-14=14+ or PG
TV-PG=14+, PG or G (depending)
TV-G=G
TV-Y7=C8
TV-Y=C
And I'd defenatly argue that Basilisk deserves a 14+ here based on it's content but it only got a PG.

I had to go with 18+ for this series, I have volume one and it's very violent, love four letter words, and there has been a lot of sexual comments to down right scenes of force sexual acts.

Still I am loving this series, I wouldn't recommend it for younger anime fans; can't wait for volume 2 to come out.
Till next time,

Delta Kiral
hikaru004

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 8:05 pm Reply with quote
In volume 1,spoiler[there was only inappropriate fondling followed by retribution by the victim] ,as far as I can remember. Even that isn't enough but borders on TV MA imo when compared to Mermaid Forest and Mezzo DSA TV. Unless, there is more graphic stuff that happens in later volumes, I think that it's a combination of things that is putting this over the border to TV MA.
LilacShadow

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 8:26 pm Reply with quote
Wow, you're supposed to be at least 18 to get to the site? O_O; I heard this was going to air on IFC sometime, so I was going to watch it... But now I'm probably not since I'm afraid to even go to the site. ._.; (I'm 15, by the way. I guess I should mention that.)
Someone_II

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 8:29 pm Reply with quote
Deltakiral wrote:

I had to go with 18+ for this series, I have volume one and it's very violent, love four letter words, and there has been a lot of sexual comments to down right scenes of force sexual acts.

Still I am loving this series, I wouldn't recommend it for younger anime fans; can't wait for volume 2 to come out.
Till next time,

Delta Kiral

Canada is generally a lot less sentitive than USA, many R-rated films in USA are only 14A (Canadian PG-13) here. The language didn't seem too strong to me. By my standerds (and those of most Canadians) Basilisk is only PG to 14+ (more so the latter than the former).

As for your second paragraph, Basilisk is refered to as Naruto for adults for a reason. Also, define "younger"

Oh, and congrats on you're 1000th post

Edit:
LilacShadow wrote:
Wow, you're supposed to be at least 18 to get to the site? O_O; I heard this was going to air on IFC sometime, so I was going to watch it... But now I'm probably not since I'm afraid to even go to the site. ._.; (I'm 15, by the way. I guess I should mention that.)

It's not that bad (I've seen the first 6 episodes) I'd probably recomend it for (as I've mentioned many times throughout the thread) ages 14 and up.
LilacShadow

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 9:33 pm Reply with quote
Someone_II wrote:
It's not that bad (I've seen the first 6 episodes) I'd probably recomend it for (as I've mentioned many times throughout the thread) ages 14 and up.

Oh, okay.. Sorry, I didn't really read through this thread when I posted that, but I probably should've. ^^; (If I'm not making a lot of sense or forgetting stuff tonight, it's because I'm getting tired.)

If that's the case, then it seems dumb for there to be an age verification thing. Even if a series is more mature, if there's nothing really bad on the site, I don't think they should need something like that. (I haven't been to the site yet though.) And really, does it really accomplish much? It managed to scare me off at first, but it'd be easy to lie about your age in order to get to the website. And won't it make most younger people just want to go to the site more if it says 18+? Confused (Personally, I'm just a little paranoid, I guess.) But then, if there's nothing bad on the site, I suppose it doesn't matter much anyway..
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 9:53 pm Reply with quote
Someone_II wrote:

Canada is generally a lot less sentitive than USA, many R-rated films in USA are only 14A (Canadian PG-13) here. The language didn't seem too strong to me. By my standerds (and those of most Canadians) Basilisk is only PG to 14+ (more so the latter than the former).

Yeah America has some very harsh rating compared to most countries. As far as languages concern there wasn't southpark amounts, but they did use the magic four letter word.

But the violence is defintely up there with R ratings if you ask me.

hikaru004 wrote:
In volume 1,spoiler[there was only inappropriate fondling followed by retribution by the victim] ,as far as I can remember.

I though that even if there was just the spoiler[fondling] there was lots of things that were sugguestive.

Edit:
LilacShadow wrote:
O_O; I heard this was going to air on IFC sometime, so I was going to watch it...

You heard correct, IFC has the rights to showing this series, IFC is getting up there with [AS] in terms of the best anime programming block. But then again that is dependent on if your a Bleach/Naruto fan or Samurai 7/Basilisk type of fan.
Till next time,

Delta Kiral

P.S. Thanks for congrats Someone_II
hikaru004

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:05 pm Reply with quote
LilacShadow wrote:

If that's the case, then it seems dumb for there to be an age verification thing. Even if a series is more mature, if there's nothing really bad on the site, I don't think they should need something like that. (I haven't been to the site yet though.) And really, does it really accomplish much? It managed to scare me off at first, but it'd be easy to lie about your age in order to get to the website. And won't it make most younger people just want to go to the site more if it says 18+? Confused (Personally, I'm just a little paranoid, I guess.) But then, if there's nothing bad on the site, I suppose it doesn't matter much anyway..

You're just chomping at the bits to see it..... Laughing

Maybe more mature stuff comes later on. All of the selections weren't loading for me so some of that may be in those areas. There were video clips from the 1st volume, but the only one I could get to work is Oboro's stuff. It didn't seem TV MA to me either, but I couldn't get all the selections to work.

There was also the intro animation of the episodes, avatars, wallpaper, intro music, list of characters on both sides (major spoilers for volume 1). Don't download while viewing this site.

The music may get to you after a while, but you can turn it off.
halochief_90

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 11:31 pm Reply with quote
Someone_II wrote:
Deltakiral wrote:

Till next time,

Delta Kiral

As for your second paragraph, Basilisk is refered to as Naruto for adults for a reason. Also, define "younger"
I live in Canada and I'm watching it on TV. I can definitely say, it is for at least for a 14 year old. It seems to spill close to as much blood as the Rurouni Kenshin OVA's (that sound right to people who have watched the DVD's?).

There is this one scene where Udono (the chubby, muscular guy)....um... touches a female, it isn't graphic for what I've seen, but it could be possible they edited that part out.
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 3:45 am Reply with quote
halochief_90 wrote:
There is this one scene where Udono (the chubby, muscular guy)....um... touches a female, it isn't graphic for what I've seen, but it could be possible they edited that part out.

No that how the scene goes on the dvd, however there is plenty of sexual innunendo that are down right nasty.......I have a feeling that later in the series there going to be more explentives scenes.
Till next time,

Delta Kiral
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2