• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Game-based and both genders

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 8:01 pm Reply with quote
1. Aside from Angelique, Kanon, To Heart, and Air, what other anime is based off of dating sims?

2. Some anime entries say in the description that they're both shounen and shoujo. What are some of these titles?
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 11:16 pm Reply with quote
This is the wrong forum, but as long as the thread is here anyway, I'll try to answer your questions.

1. I'm not sure that Kanon and Air are dating sims. I thought they were visual novels, which are different. I could be wrong on that though.

Da Capo, Comic Party, and Shuffle! are all based on games and I *think* they were dating sims. Sakura Wars (a.k.a. Sakura Taisen) is based on a series of games with dating sim elements in them. I can't think of any others at the moment.

2. "Shounen" and "shoujo" usually just indicates what the target audience is but the ANN encyclopedia uses it a bit differently but I don't remember how exactly. I think it has something to do with the style or something.

I don't feel like looking through the encyclopedia for you to find these things out. I doubt anyone else does either.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 2:29 am Reply with quote
Moving to Encyc. forum.
Dessa

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 9:27 am Reply with quote
Harukanaru Toki no Naka de!

~Ajisai Yumegatari~, ~Hachiyou Shou~, ~Mai Hitoyo~ (which is a continuation of ~Hachiyou Shou~), and the Ten and Chi OAVs are all based off of Harukanaru Toki no Naka de 1, and ~Shiroki Ryuu no Miko~ is based off of Harukanaru Toki no Naka de 2.

There's also a manga for HaruToki 1, and there's been a few single chapters for 3 (I think 2's had some too, but they're not in the regular volumes).

No, you can't tell this is my favorite series or anything...
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 4:39 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
.1. I'm not sure that Kanon and Air are dating sims. I thought they were visual novels, which are different. I could be wrong on that though.

Da Capo, Comic Party, and Shuffle! are all based on games and I *think* they were dating sims. Sakura Wars (a.k.a. Sakura Taisen) is based on a series of games with dating sim elements in them. I can't think of any others at the moment.

They basically fall into the same category. There isn't really a difference, all of them are text based so the term "visual novel" fits quite well. Renai games is kind of the technical name but I see them refered to as dating sims and visual novels far more often. "Visual novels" is the term I hear most US companies refer them to though.

I like the term "visual novels" the best to refer to them since that way they don't get confused with those annoying online "dating sims" where all you do is sleep and drink beer to get energy and you are limited to a set number of days to get the girl in addition to the story being basically non-existant. Those things are horrible.

In addition to the ones you mentioned, Fate/stay Night, Rumbling Hearts, Higurashi no Naku Koro ni, and Galaxy Angel are other good examples.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 11:26 pm Reply with quote
[quote="PantsGoblin"]
HitokiriShadow wrote:

They basically fall into the same category. There isn't really a difference, all of them are text based so the term "visual novel" fits quite well. Renai games is kind of the technical name but I see them refered to as dating sims and visual novels far more often. "Visual novels" is the term I hear most US companies refer them to though.

I like the term "visual novels" the best to refer to them since that way they don't get confused with those annoying online "dating sims" where all you do is sleep and drink beer to get energy and you are limited to a set number of days to get the girl in addition to the story being basically non-existant. Those things are horrible.

I actually enjoyed those online 'dating sims' but whatever. I was thinking Japanese dating sims would have had at least a few similarities to those and would involve a little bit more than making a choice every 30 minutes between reading dozens of pages of text.

Quote:
In addition to the ones you mentioned, Fate/stay Night, Rumbling Hearts, Higurashi no Naku Koro ni, and Galaxy Angel are other good examples.

I didn't mention Fate/Stay Night and Higurashi because I was thinking there was a difference between a dating sim and a visual novel. In fact, Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni doesn't let you make choices at all, I believe. I'm pretty sure it is literally a "visual novel" and you simply read text with illustrations in the background. I forgot about KGNE/Rumbling Hearts and I didn't know anything about Galaxy Angel. I knew there was a game and had heard that the games were considered the 'canon' story, but I didn't know anything about them.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1