• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2006-08-18]

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bayoab

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 10:58 pm Reply with quote
ShikamaChU wrote:
Bayoab: Going with what you're saying, it still sounds like in the end it's better for everyone to still have fansubbs, as we all have a better idea what we're getting into. Both companies and consumers ^^

Fansubbs aren't the only deciding factor but probablywith their help,the hits are bigger hits, the slightly less obvious titles do better, and even the not-so good titles (I’m guessing) do a little better. ^^

Actually, fansubs murder sales of so-so and really super niche titles. When a certain company licenses a title and then complains about 20k dls but only 2k sales, there is more of a reason than "fansub buyers don't buy dvds".

Also, notice I didn't say sales, I said a "big hit". Large fandom does not always produce large sales. This also depends which fandom group as anime fans are not one large demographic. There are tons of sub-demographics. You may have a series which has a huge following with the 21-25 yr olds without disposable income and no following among those with disposable income.
Magenta Syntax

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:08 pm Reply with quote
klamsd wrote:
I like the anime that I buy enough to warrant the purchase of the entire series, but is it really hard to imagine why I, or anyone else for that matter, would like going with the cheaper route of just buying the entire series in a handy thinpack boxset? I mean liking and appreciating a series is something else but suggesting that you should buy the single volumes when in most cases a boxset will be coming sooner or later - [..snip..] I would rather get the boxset, even for the same price as the those of all the single volumes collected - just to get the entire series in one nice package (the reduced price is just a bonus and obviously an added incentive).

Retreading the chicken-egg argument: boxset not guaranteed, just as you tack on at the end. The thread is getting circular. Like others have been saying, somebody has to buy the singles to convince the licensor that customers are out there for that Anime. The big licensors these days are actually catering to your second point, by releasing the *box* with disk 1 of new series - so that you will in the end have a nice box set. With artwork limited to that box only, these 1st run sets fetch a premium over unlimited if you want to sell later.
TheoryGirl

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:47 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Plus CMX's awful marketing of Tenjho Tenge as "girl power" probably turned people away from the Gals manga, thus hurting the synergy in the process.

I really don't get that statement. It seems to me that the people interested in those two titles are pretty different. But I guess what I'm really saying is I like Gals, but not Tenjho Tenge, and had no clue there was supposed to be any synergy between them.
I would like to say that it was the Gals manga that got me into the anime version. I flipped through the first volume shortly after it was released in the States, and then added the first volume of the anime to my queue on Blockbuster.com, and watched the entire series (or all that was out, anyway) that way.

As for Princess Tutu having poor sales, I'm sure that Answerman didn't help anything when he called it something akin to "the girliest anime ever." My boyfriend and I had the biggest fight we'd ever had over that, all because I wanted him to check out the first volume, and he refused, quoting Answerman verbotim -_- And the worst part is that I knew my boyfriend would do that from the very moment I read those words myself. Meh.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Pleroma

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:48 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
You're right, every single business decision that a company makes must succeed 100 percent or the people running that company are huge idiots and failures and you know better than they do. There are companies in the US that have never made a mistake, and only the people working there can be called "smart"!

Anime, like sci-fi TV shows, is a fan-supported industry. It relies on passionate fans spreading the word to do a lot of its business.

I think you misunderstood, I am not saying that they are not allowed mistakes but that a micalculation on such a scale suggests that somebody failed to do their homework. Again this is perfectly excusable, but you seemed to suggest that there are several shows that barely manage to make it and that tells me that there is something wrong with the business model in question.

This leads me to a point I have been meaning to make for a while and that is the mistake in equating fan-supported with fan-targeted. This is largely the fault of overanxious fans and the misguided companies that listen. What I am referring to is the all too common phenomenon of hardcore fans loudly demaning that damn near everything get brought over.

Seems to me like the point of local releases is to widen the audience and expose the casual fan to more variety thus widening the scope of the medium as a whole. There is nothing wrong with asking for an unusual show to get licensed when there is a genuine belief that it has a good chance of striking a cord with the casual fan, but it is then the potential licensor's job to do the research and follow their business instinct before commiting.

It disgusts me to see self-indulgent fans rabidly demanding obscure properties with no chance in hell of appealing to the casual fan be brought over and then calling local companies enemies of the art when they refuse. Even if a show makes a razor thinn profit off the hardcore base like with the Princess Tutu situation, its still essentially just a waste of time and effort as it has not widened the audience and only given its original fans a repackaged product. Stuff like this simply shouldn't happen as often as it seems to. Licensors need to know when to say no and fans need to be realistic and not demand ultra-niche R1 releases, having them carry the dying series to a tiny profit doesn't help anyone in the long run and just enables more such poinless exercises.

Quote:

You've obviously never worked as an animator in Japan. They're only slightly better off than those in Korea and China

Oh, I know that, but unfortunately as long as they remain in large supply and keep proving themselves willing to work for minimum wage (as most creative workers tend to), no amount of fan support will make the guys running the studio pay them a dime more. All they can do is to properly Unionize, but I have no clue how that works out over in Japan.
Radical Lindsay

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:49 pm Reply with quote
I don't think anyone's really touched on this, so I'll try to point it out here.

Those who say fansubbers are so passionate about subbing that they do it completely free... Wake. Up. Ever hear of things like "nothing is really free" is "if it sounds too good to be true, maybe it is?" I'd like to see a fansubbing site that offers subs and does NOT have a little "Paypal Donate" box or ads or messages saying that they need money to pay for space. Chances are, many are getting paid one way or another. The whole "we need donates for something-besides-profit" argument has never settled well for me. I get more suspecious and loose respect for them more than anything. Unless of course they're a real, legitment company that picks these things up, runs a busniess, and have employees that depend on profits to put food on the plate.

But really, even thinking about claiming these people do it 100% free for the love of anime is either idiotic or naive.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 12:07 am Reply with quote
TheoryGirl:
Quote:
I really don't get that statement. It seems to me that the people interested in those two titles are pretty different.

That's the point. CMX was hoping that editing Tenjho Tenge could help lump it in better with the rest of their manga.

Quote:
But I guess what I'm really saying is I like Gals, but not Tenjho Tenge, and had no clue there was supposed to be any synergy between them.

No, what I meant was that Tenjho Tenge was so unappealing that it hurt interest in Gals, and thus the syngery between the Gals manga and anime.

Quote:
As for Princess Tutu having poor sales, I'm sure that Answerman didn't help anything when he called it something akin to "the girliest anime ever." My boyfriend and I had the biggest fight we'd ever had over that, all because I wanted him to check out the first volume, and he refused, quoting Answerman verbotim

I'm sure if he doesn't feel emasculated sitting through Totoro, he should have no problems with Tutu.
klamsd

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 12:15 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Ashkash:
Quote:
How is it, that Funimation, who has less experience as a dubbing company, and maybe a net worth of about 1/3 that of ADV, is able to release FMA in a total of 13 volumes at a reasonable 1 to 1 and a half month release rate, when ADV can't even manage to get GetBackers out in anything less than 18 volumes in close to two years?

If FMA did as well as Getbackers, I'm sure that ADV would give it a faster release.

LordofPie:
Quote:
Between a completely mishandled and incompetent manga dvision,

Compared to, say, CMX or Dr. Master, their manga line is fine.

Quote:
the stripped thinpack shenanigans,

The thinpacks sell, hence the reason ADV will continue to make them.

Quote:
and apparently trying to piss off the hardcore fans again by using some of the dumbest localizated series names in recent memory,

Blame whatever the Japanese producers were smoking for the titles themselves, not ADV. Rolling Eyes

Quote:
It's all well and good to suggest that people should run out to support their favorite niche series now (and they should), but I'm still going to feel like a tool when the inevitable cheap boxset appears before I can finish collecting the series.

You got to see your series, which is all you really wanted. Why do you care?

elsie: Just be glad that ADV didn't release a dub and edited version on dvd, like Geneon did with Dog of Flanders.

bayoab:
Quote:
They don't care about dub ADR director interviews, etc. (American produced extras.)

The ADV voice actor interviews and commentaries do suck, but their liner notes are on par with those from Animeigo.

Quote:
In this day, I think it's hard to differ "because they weren't that good" and "because 2 or 3 uber sellers are being released right against it". There are a few great series that companies claim are getting "eh" sales.

I doubt you're really missing anything with titles like Gravion and Sister Princess.

Pleroma:
Quote:
I'm sorry, but any company foolish enough to release something with such a ridiculous profit margin is shooting itself in the foot and needs to get rid of its financial advisor ASAP. It is nobody buy their own responsability to lead their properties to success. Of course sometimes even quality products will fail, but that is just the reality of any market.

Tutu's just a casualty of the glut.

Quote:
Yes we all like good stuff getting brought over, but if indeed the series was doing THAT badly it would indicate either no market research or a very stupid gamble on behalf of the R1 licensor.

It wasn't a stupid gamble, just a bad one. If it had been released a little sooner, it might have at least done modestly well for itself.

Quote:
The starving artist analogy is ridiculous as well, as niche as anime may be its not in any way equivalent to single goddamn individual barely making ends meet because that is simply not a business model any sane company would folow.

You've obviously never worked as an animator in Japan. They're only slightly better off than those in Korea and China. Rolling Eyes

Zac:
Quote:
I assume you'd tell all the Firefly fans who purposefully went out and showed their numbers and supported the show so much by buying lots of DVDs and convincing others to do the same that they should stop doing that and just be "normal consumers", even though it got them a feature-length film.

They helped make the show successful, but they did make fools out of themselves when they tried to hype the movie. But to be fair, so did Whedon. I never really understood the point of making a cancelled series into movies...OTOH, being a Lupin fan, I do see the point in encouraging people to continue buying the tv show, particularly in the hope that the Miyazaki episodes will finally be on R1 dvd.

burzmali:
Quote:
Anime is already more expensive then American media by a factor of 4 or more.

Maybe in Japan, but it's about average here.

klamsd:
Quote:
I mean liking and appreciating a series is something else but suggesting that you should buy the single volumes when in most cases a boxset will be coming sooner or later - just to support the series doesn't make any sense. Your money is going to support the company that releases the product anyway, more or less when you buy the boxset of the same series.

The thing is that there's no guarantee there will be a box down the road. Look how long it took for the second season of Super Gals to get released.

I am fully aware of the fact that not all anime DVDs get the boxset treatment, and that is the very reason I said "in most cases". However, the kind of anime I am interested in usually does get a boxset and most anime does tend to be released in a boxset format sometime nowadays. My only point being that waiting for a cheaper boxset to come out to purchase it is by no means indicative of the desire to get or appreciate an anime. I can't speak for others but I don't mind waiting for boxsets to come out for a variety of reasons, but I don't see how anyone can claim that I don't like the series that I waited for just because I waited for the cheaper option.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 1:41 am Reply with quote
Radical Lindsay wrote:
I don't think anyone's really touched on this, so I'll try to point it out here.

Those who say fansubbers are so passionate about subbing that they do it completely free... Wake. Up. Ever hear of things like "nothing is really free" is "if it sounds too good to be true, maybe it is?" I'd like to see a fansubbing site that offers subs and does NOT have a little "Paypal Donate" box or ads or messages saying that they need money to pay for space. Chances are, many are getting paid one way or another. The whole "we need donates for something-besides-profit" argument has never settled well for me. I get more suspecious and lose respect for them more than anything. Unless of course they're a real, legitment company that picks these things up, runs a busniess, and have employees that depend on profits to put food on the plate.

But really, even thinking about claiming these people do it 100% free for the love of anime is either idiotic or naive.

Sure, there are fansites that run lots of ads and demand donations to make profits for themselves, but I've never seen an actual fansub group site do that.
Some site I can't name wrote:
We have had a couple people ask us "Where is the donation button on the site, I can't find it?" [name removed] (The group overall) does not accept donations. It is our policy that accepting donations makes it like we are trying to sell you something. That is absolutely not what we are about. If you, however, want to donate to our individual bot providers, that is between you and them. You can contact them directly via the channel.
Web hosting costs money, bandwidth costs money, IRC bots cost money, and some groups pay for it out of their own pockets, so I don't think it's out of line for them to get a couple bucks from the leechers to cover costs. Any group that really did try to profit would be beset by internal strife (donations wouldn't be enough to give everyone in the group an equitable share, "Oh, woo hoo, I made $3.08 by being in this fansub group!") and negative flak from the rest of the fansub world.
Granted, that's money that's not going where it's supposed to be going, but I don't think anyone's getting rich running fansub groups.
ladholyman

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 3:33 am Reply with quote
Radical Lindsay wrote:

Those who say fansubbers are so passionate about subbing that they do it completely free... Wake. Up. Ever hear of things like "nothing is really free" is "if it sounds too good to be true, maybe it is?" I'd like to see a fansubbing site that offers subs and does NOT have a little "Paypal Donate" box or ads or messages saying that they need money to pay for space. Chances are, many are getting paid one way or another. The whole "we need donates for something-besides-profit" argument has never settled well for me. I get more suspecious and loose respect for them more than anything. Unless of course they're a real, legitment company that picks these things up, runs a busniess, and have employees that depend on profits to put food on the plate.

I wouldn't say 100%, but for me at least 90% is about the love of anime. I wouldn't have translated 42 episodes of a certain frog show in the last four months if I didn't love it. It's all about motivation.
otimus

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 6:22 am Reply with quote
Halting box sets is really... really.. really.. stupid.
I don't get how anyone can defend that.

IF the reason stated, is true, that it's "for the dedicated fans" (Which I doubt is true.. more like they just want to make as much money as possible, for as long as possible.. but whatever!) then THAT is stupid. SCREW the fans.

Boxsets make it MUCH easier to build a fanbase, to get shows known, and so on, and so forth. Cheap, affordable box sets.

That's how some shows that didn't fare too well on the TV in the US ended up doing well later on in life.

...limiting boxsets is pointless, and only holding anime back from full mainstream acceptance.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime
roxybudgy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 7:30 am Reply with quote
If you love a show, buy the individual DVDs as they come out to support it, eh?

I have my limits. If I really really really like a series, I would buy the individual DVDs. Heck, I even purchased and American import Azumanga Daiou DVD 6 rather than waiting for the local Aussie release (cost me an extra $10 though...).

But with so many series I want to buy (both anime and manga), I either have to earn more money or be more choosy and stretch the dollars furthur. I felt a teensy bit annoyed when I saw the Azumanga Daiou complete boxset for $62AUD the other day.

Incidentally, I wouldn't have purchased Azumanga Daiou if it weren't for fansubs. No, I didn't watch the fansubs myself. My sister's friend watched Azumanga Daiou fansubs, and then strongly recommended it to my sister, who then suggested that I buy it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 8:55 am Reply with quote
TheoryGirl wrote:

As for Princess Tutu having poor sales, I'm sure that Answerman didn't help anything when he called it something akin to "the girliest anime ever."

No offense, but Princess Tutu IS the "girliest anime ever". Not saying that makes it BAD, but that statement is true. Otherwise, please tell me what beats a show whose first episode sees a pantsless, effeminate MALE character being saved by falling into a bed of flowers generated by a magical girl dancing ballet. ... yeah
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 9:18 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

For a show like Ghost in the Shell? Your hardcore fan dollars don't mean a whole lot. Princess Tutu? You're the only one they can count on to make that a success.

This is EXACTLY the sort of comment I was referring to before. Look, you either have a company built to TARGET the fans, or you don't and then getting them is just "bonus". If the fans are not a viable market, then the fans are NOT a viable market. If fans need to pay a ridiculous premium to get what THEY want, then fans need to pay a ridiculous premium. That's (part of) why anime is so expensive in Japan (granted, it's not the ONLY reason, I'm not saying it's the ONLY reason), because Japanese companies know who they are selling to, they're selling to the HC otaku. American companies are trying to maximize audience. For a show like Naruto, that's fine, you'll see great return, but for niche shows it leaves you with a problem.

What I was saying before and am reiterating now is that you set yourself up for problems when if you have 2 titles (one "niche", the other more "popular") and with the popular title you tell the fans "hey, your dollars aren't that important because they're just a small slice of the pie" but then with the second title "hey, EVERY DOLLAR COUNTS, C'MON, SHOW THE LOVE". Many fans aren't going to stop and do reams of market research to show why the first title is selling well, they're going to wonder why my dollars for title A didn't count for **** but suddenly NOW my dollars are important, obviously company is just trying to maximize profit and are just greedy b!tches. (see comments in this thread)

If the fans are not the company's main market (and I don't think this is true for MOST companies anymore) then they shouldn't license "niche" titles, period. If that means a title doesn't get licensed, so be it. If there is enough interest from fans, someone will see the buck to be made eventually, and if not, you have a new "classic" for the hardcores to lament.

But back to the "your dollar counts" line of thought, it's a simple business axiom that it's MUCH easier to lose a customer than it is to gain one. I'm saying if a company EVER looks and says "whatever, your $30 is nothing next to this pile of $30,000" then they have a very large uphill climb to sell the "your $30 is the difference between success and failure". The point is, just like with formats and such, companies need to be CONSISTENT or they risk losing customers, period. If they can build a LARGE customer base selling to the "mass market", they can make big bucks on a hit, but then they should EXPECT that every other title they release will be treated the same by consumers. This is why people look at a "Tutu" and say "I'm waiting for the cheap pak".

Last edited by HeeroTX on Sat Aug 19, 2006 9:26 am; edited 1 time in total
Daemonblue

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 9:22 am Reply with quote
For that last comment, do you really want a list?

Anyway, I decided to check out Princess Tutu (yes, I'm very secure about my manhood, it's kind of funny when someone would call you a girly man or gay for watching something like this because it just shows how insecure they are of themselves Razz) and if I like it I'll buy it when I get the money (getting a job this November when I turn 18, as mentioned before the only jobs offered to a 17 year old out here makes barely enough to pay for the gas with the time I'd be able to work). I'm not one of those rich anime fans that can waste money, I can't even be a casual consumer when I can barely afford to stay in school >_> So it's a given I'll like fansubs which let me try before I buy so I can see if it's something I want to spend my money on (yes, $10 is a lot of money for me). That being said, once I turn 18 and get a good paying job (at least $7 an hour if I can, most jobs around here for under 18 are bare minimum at $5.15) I'll be purchasing a lot more anime (yay Rumbling Hearts Anime smile) to show my support, but until then I'm setting up a list of what I want to buy and what order I want to buy them in (preferable the more niche titles first as they need more money to continue production).
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 9:36 am Reply with quote
Daemonblue wrote:
For that last comment, do you really want a list?

Yeah, and please add what any other given show has that makes it girlier. "Princess Nine" is all about a girls baseball team, baseball=less girly than ballet. "Sailor Moon" is a lynchpin girls show, the main guy is fairly masculine. "Mama was a 4th grader" is about a little 4th grade girl raising a baby (a pretty freaking girly concept) and yet it deals with some real world concepts that come nowhere NEAR the girly, fantasy princess world of "Princess Tutu". I would LOVE to hear what's more girly than Tutu, I haven't even mentioned the cat teacher who constantly demands that his students marry him, the fact that Tutu's primary mission is to restore the prince's HEART or other girly concepts. Really, IMO if you can beat the first episode that just oozes girlish stereotypes, I'm impressed.

(unless someone else is also wondering, might be better to PM rather than derail this thread further)
Quote:

Anyway, I decided to check out Princess Tutu

Please do, I'm a guy, but although I'm totally serious about the above, it IS a pretty good show (altho my wife is into it more than me) and deserves a look. It was put together by an incredibly talented staff and is worth watching. More than anything else, if you're a fan of ballet or classical music (not that I necessarily count myself as either) it's a "must see" for how they incorporated both of those elements in there. All six DVD covers are themed from a particular ballet and there are other impressive planning elements.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 9 of 13