Forum - View topic
RIGHT TURN ONLY!! - Happily Ever Afterschool




Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Fronzel



Joined: 11 Sep 2003
Posts: 1297

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:09 pm Reply with quote
Regarding the Genshiken cover, why is it that when blue-eyed people show up in color Japanese pop-art they sometimes have a blue tint across the pupil? That's not how eyes work. It's like they're wearing blue-tinted contact lenses.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
the skinny



Joined: 29 Dec 2012
Posts: 40

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:19 pm Reply with quote
Gotta love that Genshiken!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Wyvern



Joined: 01 Sep 2004
Posts: 640

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:34 pm Reply with quote
I've never heard of Afterschool Charisma before, but it's certainly a bold and original new concept...Wesley.

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Alan45
Village ElderVillage Elder


Joined: 25 Aug 2010
Posts: 3586
Location: Virginia

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:26 pm Reply with quote
@Fronzel

Because most manga artists have seen more people in blue contacts then they have people with blue eyes??
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Fronzel



Joined: 11 Sep 2003
Posts: 1297

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:46 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
@Fronzel

Because most manga artists have seen more people in blue contacts then they have people with blue eyes??

Western movies? Google image search?

It's just really weird and unnatural-looking.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mohawk52



Joined: 16 Oct 2003
Posts: 7279
Location: England, UK

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:13 am Reply with quote
Fronzel wrote:
Alan45 wrote:
@Fronzel

Because most manga artists have seen more people in blue contacts then they have people with blue eyes??

Western movies? Google image search?

It's just really weird and unnatural-looking.
That's just the point. Most mangaka are either too busy, or too lazy to research that sort of thing and just go by what they themselves have observed. Like the Japanese notion that natural hair colour only occurs on the head, but everywhere else is jet black. They simply know no better. Wink
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
invalidname



Joined: 11 Aug 2004
Posts: 566
Location: Grand Rapids, MI

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:44 am Reply with quote
Quote:
However, chances of a license rescue seem frighteningly slim at this point.

I'd buy Hibiki's Magic, for what it's worth. Anyone else?

Maybe this could be rescued as a digital-only thing, primarily off Jun Maeda's name recognition. (Honest question: what's Maeda's best-loved work in the West nowadays? My guess is that you'd sell more books with "From the creator of Angel Beats!" at this point than "From the creator of Clannad".)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Fronzel



Joined: 11 Sep 2003
Posts: 1297

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:51 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Like the Japanese notion that natural hair colour only occurs on the head, but everywhere else is jet black. They simply know no better. Wink

Don't think I've noticed that one before.

Maybe I haven't been watching the right kind of show.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
nottimkai



Joined: 05 Jan 2009
Posts: 77

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:24 pm Reply with quote
Funny you should mention Flowers of Evil when talking about Oyasumi PunPun.

Not spoiling any plot points for the series up through the penultimate volume (Asano is finishing the series in one more volume due out this winter); only speaking about the manga's tone:

It is basically flowers of evil minus the hope.

Flowers of Evil isn't a particularly hopeful manga, you say?

You would be correct.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Meygaera



Joined: 28 Apr 2011
Posts: 281
Location: Maryland

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:09 pm Reply with quote
And....ice hockey?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
grooven



Joined: 16 Aug 2006
Posts: 721
Location: Canada

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:44 pm Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
Quote:
However, chances of a license rescue seem frighteningly slim at this point.

I'd buy Hibiki's Magic, for what it's worth. Anyone else?

Maybe this could be rescued as a digital-only thing, primarily off Jun Maeda's name recognition. (Honest question: what's Maeda's best-loved work in the West nowadays? My guess is that you'd sell more books with "From the creator of Angel Beats!" at this point than "From the creator of Clannad".)


I would I own both and the Japanese volumes. If you love his work you will like these comics. I had no idea it was continuing again! It was actually due to the artist why it was on a small hiatus. I will buy the next volume for sure.
Maeda only created Angel Beats!, Clannad was most of his work but there were other scenario writers on board too. For Kanon he did only two stories.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group