• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Fullmetal Alchemist Theater List

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hikaru004

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 4:52 pm Reply with quote
But, the timeframe is too close to the DVD release (9/12) and requires you to complete the series very fast if you want to see the movie. That means that only 3 populations are likely to go and watch this at a movie theater imo (downloaders who want a theater experience, AS viewers, curious movie watchers). The last DVD of the series is also released on 9/12.

While I champion for any anime movie to be screened in Chicago, I'll have to pass on seeing this one as I rely on the DVDs to watch the series. I already pre-ordered the movie DVD. Very Happy

Please don't forget about Chicago when Origin~Spirits of the Past~ comes out! Smile
Someone_II

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 5:21 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The movie is currently scheduled to screen in 40 theaters.
Unfortunatly, none of which happen to be in Canada.
daggerbob

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 6:32 pm Reply with quote
jgreen wrote:
Hear hear! Seriously, if every anime fan in the country doesn't go out and support a theatrically-released anime fan in their neck of the woods, they have no right to complain that no anime movies get theatrical releases in the States.

We would go out and support it if it was in our "neck of the woods" and I don't mean a 3 hour or more road trip to go see it either. Support a two-way street. If they want our support, then they need to support the local fan base as well. Look at all the major areas they decided to omit from their screenings.
apbt

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 1:29 am Reply with quote
I am also upset they cancelled the Colorado Springs show. If there was something else to do up there in Fort Collins you could make a day of it. At least if it was in Denver it would be closer and there are much more activities in that city.
cl4y

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 2:55 pm Reply with quote
Deltakiral wrote:
tiredgamer wrote:
And not even a single theatre in Florida. Crying or Very sad

Yeah that is really odd.....Florida and Illinois excluded, that really sucks. I mean how can there not be one showing for states such as these. And yet every little state in the middle of the country has a million screening.....makes ya wonder....

It seems like everything follows this rule. Special showings, band tours, signings, etc. There'll be like 3 stops in Kansas and none in FL. We've got plenty of people. Do they just think there's no culture in Florida? If that's the case, I wouldn't say they're wrong, but still...
Aiko Yamada

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 4:44 pm Reply with quote
I think everyone's just jealous of Florida's obvious superiority *sarcasm*.
But really, even just one theatre in Florida would be nice. At least then I would have a chance to go and support my favorite anime's movie. I've already called a few theatres around my area (Orlando) but so far it doesn't seem to have helped. *le sigh* So once again, Florida gets no love. Seems all we seem to get are hurricanes these days...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Rihan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 6:24 pm Reply with quote
Obviously noone has any idea how the theatre industry works IN THE REAL WORLD. Christ people, its amazing they got it in as many theatres as they did. And you sit here bitching about it being subbed or dubbed or how god forbid Chicago gets left out of something for once. The fact is its up to the individual theatre owners to carry a film, and the fact that they got that many Carmike theatres to show it is amazing. This is not normal movie theatre fare, this is arthouse stuff, and for it to have even just 2 days out in full view of the general public is great. Why must a bitch fest always ensue whenever the next film gets brought out that doesn't make it to your area. You may think "Well, why the hell don't we get it here, the fanbase here is HUUUGE", well, guess what, chances are, its not. Its a figment of your imagination and blown way out of proportion by your desire for it to be true. Theatres are out to make money, not to have empty seats for a animated film they know nothing about.
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 6:57 pm Reply with quote
Rihan wrote:
Obviously noone has any idea how the theatre industry works IN THE REAL WORLD. Christ people, its amazing they got it in as many theatres as they did. And you sit here bitching about it being subbed or dubbed or how god forbid Chicago gets left out of something for once. The fact is its up to the individual theatre owners to carry a film, and the fact that they got that many Carmike theatres to show it is amazing. This is not normal movie theatre fare, this is arthouse stuff, and for it to have even just 2 days out in full view of the general public is great. Why must a bitch fest always ensue whenever the next film gets brought out that doesn't make it to your area. You may think "Well, why the hell don't we get it here, the fanbase here is HUUUGE", well, guess what, chances are, its not. Its a figment of your imagination and blown way out of proportion by your desire for it to be true. Theatres are out to make money, not to have empty seats for a animated film they know nothing about.

Because unlike say, a few years ago with Mononoke or Metropolis, Anime has grown by leaps and bounds, and there is an ever greater fanbase than ever.

The "allegation" that FUNi hasn't done enough is more than justified. I mentioned in a previous thread why didn't they look into theaters in California or Hawaii, areas with a high density of Asians living in the USA? A sure-fire way to at least garner some bank. Instead, why are most of the threater listings situated in some backwater county/parish/whatever, or a state known more for Pensioners and Hispanics? They could've at least taken more time to take the effort, but they didn't.

And i'm still waiting on their figures concerning the Movie release of that DBZ movie.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 6:57 pm Reply with quote
Rihan, it is not considered to be a foreign film by at least one theater I know in Chicago and not "arthouse" fare. It is being shown in English after all. So, it has to slug it out with all the American releases for space.

Chicago was the premiere site for Play! A Video Game Symphony at which ACen was advertising. Heck, Chicago has ACen. Therefore, there is interest in anime in this area. We didn't get Basilisk either. FMA is a high profile mainstream title, so we were expecting it in a majority of the major areas, including Chicago.

Chicago also has a huge Asian community and is the site of the Consulate General of Japan.

Besides, if we don't air out our frustrations, then FUNimation won't know that we want to see their movies in our areas.

Another plea for Origin~Spirits of the Past~ for Chicago. Very Happy

Last edited by hikaru004 on Mon Aug 21, 2006 7:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 7:03 pm Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:

Besides, if we don't air out our frustrations, then FUNimation won't know that we want to see their movies in our areas.

Come to think of it, where the heck is that studio rep? Whats his "official" comemnt on this?
Rihan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 7:51 pm Reply with quote
Abarenbo Shogun wrote:

Instead, why are most of the threater listings situated in some backwater county/parish/whatever, or a state known more for Pensioners and Hispanics?

Why? Because Funimation actualy bothered to go out and try to bring the movie to people who aren't necissarily within a reasonable distance of a major city such as Minneapolis or Houston or Chicago, which is exactly what most people complain about when a new film is released. The Carmike Cinema group specializes in the Small/Medium markets. Yes they have some in the suburbs of Chicago, however, again, its up to the theatre owners.

hikaru004 wrote:
Rihan, it is not considered to be a foreign film by at least one theater I know in Chicago and not "arthouse" fare. It is being shown in English after all. So, it has to slug it out with all the American releases for space.

Chicago was the premiere site for Play! A Video Game Symphony at which ACen was advertising. Heck, Chicago has ACen. Therefore, there is interest in anime in this area. We didn't get Basilisk either. FMA is a high profile mainstream title, so we were expecting it in a majority of the major areas, including Chicago.

As for it being arthouse fare, yes, this is. Ghibli films and Pokemon are the only ones to prove themselves in the mainstream public. The rest have failed horribly. Fullmetal Alchemist the series is a high profile title, this movie, is not. Regardless of whether its in English or not, this is a foreign animated film being shown in a country that has proven over and over again that unless a foreign animated film is backed by Disney or has a popular video game behind it, they will not go out to see it.

I am also fully aware of the Play symphony and the Dear Friends concerts, and Acen and everything else that has premiered in Chicago and elsewhere, having traveled to 2 of the Dear Friends concerts (Chicago and Detroit) myself. This doesn't automaticly mean a huge concentrated fanbase. Yes, there is interest, but you can't judge that from Acen, which pulls in people from all over the country. I also point you to the first part of this post about the fact that Carmike doesn't typically deal with major markets.

As for not having it in any particular area....have they shown something there before? Was there a decent attendence? No? Well then there is your answer as to why they didn't try to bring this in.
Sweetmusic_01

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 8:35 pm Reply with quote
Showcase Cinemas Randolph 73 Mazzeo Drive Randolph (Boston) MA 02368 781-963-5600 Fri (Aug 25th) - 4pm
Sat (Aug 26th) - 9:30pm

I'll be at the 9:30 showing. Maybe my post on the Funimation Forums did some good. Before that they didn't have any locations near Boston. Did anyone here make suggestions on Funimation Forums to try and get it in their area?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
hikaru004

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:52 pm Reply with quote
Rihan wrote:
Please read above statements.-hikaru004

No matter what you say, the arthouse that shows art films in Chicago would not consider this a "foreign" film and it would not be eligible. Ghibli is under the Disney license and would not be considered a foreign film either by the general population. FUNimation is also using chains outside of Carmike.

FMA also has a CCG and 2 video games.

To answer your other questions...Yes. DBZ and Trinity Blood.
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 11:08 pm Reply with quote
Rihan wrote:
Why? Because Funimation actualy bothered to go out and try to bring the movie to people who aren't necissarily within a reasonable distance of a major city such as Minneapolis or Houston or Chicago, which is exactly what most people complain about when a new film is released. The Carmike Cinema group specializes in the Small/Medium markets. Yes they have some in the suburbs of Chicago, however, again, its up to the theatre owners.

Then good job FUNi, screwing the rest of your fans like this. Either you go both routes, or just go straight to DVD. I swear, the FUNi Films thing is nothing but an honest to good trainwreck. They start the progam with a property that is dated instead of a new one, and now this.

Disney/Buena Vista: "Hey, I don't wanna travel XX hours to XXXXXX city to watch XXXXXXXXX film!!

SquareEnix: "Their are gonna do what now? Are they nuts? Oh, right, they are nuts."

FUNimation: Hey, why are you missing the big cities and other states? What, you removed the closest place from the list? Howcome the screenings are concentrated towards the redneck states?!

So much for bringing Anime to a wider audiance. All we fans can do is bicker and complain and the studios do some half-cocked crap and sometimes listen to the fans.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 1:17 am Reply with quote
Abarenbo Shogun wrote:
Instead, why are most of the threater listings situated in some backwater county/parish/whatever, or a state known more for Pensioners and Hispanics?

I am totally offended by the way you said this, and I mean that, but I have to agree somewhat to a degree. But I still give the evil eye to you none the less. Neutral

You don't know what backwater is.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4