• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shounen, shoujo, or both?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wolverine Princess

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 10:44 pm Reply with quote
Himawari! and Yami to Boushi to Hon no Tabibito are listed as being both shounen and shoujo. I was about to report them, but I had second thoughts because I know ANN uses shounen and shoujo as stylistic indicators rather than demographic indicators. Is it acceptable for anime to be listed as both shoujo and shounen because of the specific way ANN defines the words, or should I report instances of this happening if I see it again?
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 10:10 pm Reply with quote
Encyclopedia wrote:
- Shoujo : emphasis on relationships and character development, primarily aimed at girls
- Shounen : emphasis on action and fighting, primarily aimed at boys

I think those two definitions preclude each other. If the emphasis is on relationships, then it isn't on action. And if both are equally important, neither has emphasis. I can't really think of any series that could qualify as both shoujo and shounen. And the two series above do not qualify as either shoujo or shounen.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 1:27 am Reply with quote
Wow, this raises more questions than the recent AM piece.

I only say this because I browse the encyclopedia quite a bit and I see both listings quite a bit.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1