• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Otaku Space Tourist Fails Physical

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ACDragonMaster

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 8:47 pm Reply with quote
So he failed his physical, nothing's gonna stop him from taking time to get into better shape and try again, if he wants it that bad and has the money to back it up.
Rarewhisper

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 11:40 pm Reply with quote
i wonder if he failed the drug test . hmmm....... Question
Case

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 11:47 pm Reply with quote
What do you mean "why couldn't he be in better shape"?!

Char Aznavole. Space station. In Earth's orbit. In real life. Is no one else freaked out about that in the modern era of terrorist warfare?
Yoda117

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 12:28 am Reply with quote
Deltakiral wrote:
ManOfRust wrote:
He's only 34... not by itself a reason for the ol' bod to be falling apart quite yet!

Exactly just to let you know that there was this guy named John Glenn who was 70 or so when he made the last trip into space. If an old man (Granted he was an astronaut before) can be clear into space this fellow certainly needs to get his act together.
Till next time,

Delta Kiral

Two things... the first is that the point of John Glenn going back into space was to see the effects of near-zero G on the elderly for use in medicine. Personally, I think as a senator he had enough clout for one more trip up, and he took it. That said, I saw him break open one hell of a can of whoop-ass on a protestor a few years back (the guy cold-cocked him on live TV and he fought back).

Second... my bad. The cnn article had his age as 64, not 34 at the time. Big difference there. Caught the mistake in age after reading a few other articles on the subject. Gomen Smile
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 12:59 am Reply with quote
Deltakiral wrote:
ManOfRust wrote:
He's only 34... not by itself a reason for the ol' bod to be falling apart quite yet!

Exactly just to let you know that there was this guy named John Glenn who was 70 ...

No one reads what I say, correct?

Although this may have to do with what shape he is in, I doubt it is.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kaiser Mike

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 1:19 am Reply with quote
Case wrote:
What do you mean "why couldn't he be in better shape"?!

Char Aznavole. Space station. In Earth's orbit. In real life. Is no one else freaked out about that in the modern era of terrorist warfare?

I'm with you! The entire continent of Australia should be happy! Operation British has been thwarted!
Ergzay

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 6:57 am Reply with quote
One of my past times besides anime would be space. Now after looking around space.com and nasa.com they do not tell the reasons on why he failed the physical.
Quote:
However, his plans are being to put on hold for medical reasons which Panarin would not disclose Monday. Panarin would only say that "no other reasons, but medical" are behind the decision of the so-called Inter-Departmental Commission for Determination of Preparedness of the Crew to pull the Japanese businessman from the planned flight.

What they do say is that it does not ruin the chances of him going again,
Quote:
As for Enomoto, he may recover from whatever health problems he has and fly to space later on, Panarin said.

"From what I know the situation is not hopeless," Panarin said when asked if Enomoto could recover enough to fly to ISS with some of the subsequent crews.

Now the training he is undergoing is most likely as, someone above mentioned, high G training and escape measures in case of emergency. He will not be operating anything. Astronauts train for years and years in order to do the jobs they do. He is strictly a "tourist".

As to what he would do if he went first I must give a little background. The ISS has a crew of 2 (now 3 as of the previous launch of space shuttle discovery in July) this crew is replaced every 6 months with a new set launched by the russian Soyuz spacecraft. It has room for 3 passengers. He would stay aboard the station for a few days until the previous crew came back to earth which he would come with as well. One of which I am guessing (not sure on this item) would stay on the station.
The flight would go something like this. (Mind you the days are approximate so it would vary some per each launch.)
Launch day: sitting in your seat for an hour or two while things are prepared to launch. Feeling about 3x the force of gravity or 3Gs on liftoff and then weightless in orbit. Approach to the ISS would then begin.
2nd day: He would still in orbit approaching the ISS which they would probably reach around the end of the 2nd day.
3rd-7th days: He would spend time aboard the station doing whatever he pleased while the rest of the crew went about their constant work.
8th day: He would around this time board the Soyuz spacecraft again and start the return to orbit and would get there in about a day. He would experience in surplus of 6Gs and would blackout on reentry and be recovered from the capsule. He also might experience some balance problems as he got re-used to the earth's gravity
Nabeshin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 7:25 am Reply with quote
Radical Lindsay wrote:
Man, how long do those trips last, and what do they even do up there? Razz

He would have been up there ten days.
"Can I push this?"
"No."
"What's this do?"
"Don't touch!"
"Can I..."
"NO!"
"I'm gonna be in my sleep chamber."
"Take as long as you want." *grumble*

Ten long, arduous days.

In fairness though, nary a mention of his cosplay is mentioned in the mass media, so it really doesn't reflect on otaku, per se.
Mugen1style

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 3:05 pm Reply with quote
I just thought I would point out that he had already qualified for the flight. Most likely the reason he failed the physical was do to a common every day bug/cold/hayfever. Any of those things, and a whole lot more of those type of every day type of illnesses were probably the culprit. He had all ready passed the G test and all of the other physical requirements for space flight or he would not have been given the go ahead in the first place. There have been plenty of other astronauts in the past that were prevented for similar reasons and they were military.

I hope he try's again I mean after all he has the suit now and it was approved so he can use it the next chance he gets. I hope that we all get the facts about this, it would be nice to know what the exact problem was. I can say this though for fact he was in great shape and he passed all the tests that came before otherwise he would not even had the second to the last physical in the first place.
Deliverator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 6:28 am Reply with quote
The man has been in a russian training facility for some months. Given that circumstance, I would highly doubt it would be because he's been eating to many twinkies and not doing enough push ups that would make him fail the physical. I bet it was a mental issue, the guy probably started thinking he really was char Razz (i seriously hope that joke is far from the truth)
Iritscen

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 9:22 am Reply with quote
Enomoto-as-Char: Don't you see? To prevent Earth from being ruined, we must drop the ISS on it!

Astronauts: Uh, maybe you should stay down here.
Anime_Freak

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 2:04 pm Reply with quote
Iritscen wrote:
Enomoto-as-Char: Don't you see? To prevent Earth from being ruined, we must drop the ISS on it!

Astronauts: Uh, maybe you should stay down here.

OMG, ROFLMAO! If he were to think that, then I would think he would need professional help.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
wings of words

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 8:14 pm Reply with quote
I better not be the only one who was reminded of the whole Char getting kicked out of the Zeon army by Dozle arc from Mobile Suit Gundam.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2