• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bandai: Do Not Fansub Ghost in the Shell Film

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
taipion

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:08 pm Reply with quote
Maybe if Fanimation didn't ahve such a big reputation with Destroying anime series, I'd care about what they'd have to say. IF adv films or US Manga corps had asked I'd listen, but not Funi Evil or Very Mad
v1cious

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:12 pm Reply with quote
taipion wrote:
Maybe if Fanimation didn't ahve such a big reputation with Destroying anime series, I'd care about what they'd have to say. IF adv films or US Manga corps had asked I'd listen, but not Funi Evil or Very Mad

what the hell are you talking about?
Steroid

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:13 pm Reply with quote
If it is fansubbed, and they do not prosecute the groups that did it, it will seem like they made an idle threat. If they do prosecute, but have to drop or settle the suits (as the RIAA and MPAA have often), they will seem impotent. If they press their suit but lose on a technicality (such as being unable to connect the sub with the subbers), it will set precedent. Even if they go all the way and win, they will have spent a lot of money and time, and probably not won much.

I think this is just a ploy to scare off the higher-profile fansub groups, and they won't make too much noise about it after the release. But anyway, it should be an interesting test case to see how strong the positions of both sides are, and I hope for a win for the fansubbers' side.
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:19 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

You're right, they should make sure the DVDs they release are totally 100 percent up to whatever your personal standards are before asking fansubbers not to pirate their movies and distribute them for free.

That's a totally reasonable stance to take.

Unplayable discs (.hack, scryed, some others), ridiculously bad video quality (scrapped princess), messed up sound/discs (First 3 volumes of gits: sac (5.1 JP on regular disc is broken, people who bought regular volumes of 2nd volume got DTS discs, english DTS on third disc is broken), they're things that can be avoided, but Bandai doesn't even publically announce these things are defective or offer any kind of replacement. I mean, you could write off Zeta Gundam's faux-dubtitles for the LE boxset, but it instantly raises flags when the 2-disc collections have new subtitles and an actual credit to someone for redoing the subtitles. Sure, there was an unofficial trade-in program on AOD (wont go into it) but that has no gaurantee from anyone BUT a single person working on their own, and no gaurantee you'll get something back.

It's not that I really disagree with you Zac, there are those that do have unrealistic expectations. But when you get a product that fails to work or really constitute being up to a quality standard (which some people can have realistic versions of) then you begin to doubt the companies compotency. Not that I don't think they should take to court people who are bootlegging SSS, but it's money spent better on fixing discs, or getting SSS out here quicker so there's even less of a 'reason' to pirate it.

Last edited by Steventheeunuch on Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:20 pm Reply with quote
Steroid wrote:
and I hope for a win for the fansubbers' side.

Got to wonder, is this point even worth arguing with you?
Someone_II

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:26 pm Reply with quote
taipion wrote:

What the hell are you going on about? Sure, FUNi has edited some shows for TV but they've always relesed uncut DVDs, as well as some of the most fansub like translations I've ever seen in a legit relese. They even keep the honorifics intact. Personally, if they can expand their library beyond dozens of gonzo titles, they'll probably become the best distributor in north america.

Now if only they'd change their name. FUNimation sounds like a company who does the same kinds of things 4kids does (thought, I know they don't). Gonzo USA anyone?
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:40 pm Reply with quote
I congratulate ACDragonMaster for making the most important point in the first post. How stupid are you announcing your work ahead of time when you're a fansubber?

cadub77 wrote:
hahaha, like they can stop us?!?!? their scare tactics wont work, and Ill be sure to download the fansub, and then buy the movie whenever it comes to the states...

You do realize that people in the industry actually scan these boards on occasion, right? I'd discredit you further, but since you have links to essentially any way to contact you, I think you've given yourself enough rope.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:45 pm Reply with quote
SharinganEyes92 wrote:
I wonder how the fansubbers will respond to this. I remember how Anime Junkies took it when they were asked to terminate their distribution of fansubbed, licensed titles. I hope something like that doesn't happen. Of course, back then, they were asking Anime Junkies to terminate the distribution of several licensed titles, and not just one. I wish I could dig up the article, but I don't have time. Hopefully some kind soul can dig it up to show some of the newer members of this forum what I'm talking about....

animenewsnetwork.com/editorial.php?id=43
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:46 pm Reply with quote
taipion wrote:

Funimation doesn't have that reputation among people who haven't been in a coma since 2001 or so. The fact that you can't even spell the company's name right leads me to believe that your critical thinking skills are hampered somehow. I can't quite place my finger on it, though.

Also, Bandai's DVD authoring skill isn't what's being called into question here, at all, and those of you bringing it up are confusing the issue. That has absolutely nothing to do with this, and it's a totally specious argument.

You cannot - under any reasonable frame of mind - "stand up" to the people who literally made the film you're distributing for free and act self-righteous, as though what you're doing is somehow 'really the right thing to do' and you're totally infallible.

99 percent of the defense fansubbers put up is about how much they love anime and how much they respect and admire the Japanese artists and companies that make it. And yet when those EXACT SAME Japanese artists and companies tell them to "Please stop stealing our programs and films", they spit in their faces and act self-righteous.

Fansubbing at that level has absolutely nothing at all to do with respecting or upholding the Japanese artist's original intent whatsoever. It's a hypocritical, self-deluded piracy ring that's convinced of it's own righteousness to a ridiculous level. They don't ACTUALLY care about anyone who's involved with the production of anime, they just want it for free, and hey, screw anyone who says otherwise.

It's absolute reprehensible trash, and I have no respect for anyone who partakes in it.
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:51 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

Also, Bandai's DVD authoring skill isn't what's being called into question here, at all, and those of you bringing it up are confusing the issue. That has absolutely nothing to do with this, and it's a totally specious argument.

I thought it was more of an OT thing, but I was mostly refering to the point you made about Bandai living up to 'personal' standards, when that really isn't the case. But anyway, as you said, it's kind of pointless, I just think that the money they're putting towards this could be better spent on things that work, but over at AOD they're already trying to fix things up, so it's not so bad (queue 'anyone who complains is an ingrate/demands special attention/in minority' argument from someone).
hakubi_tron

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:04 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I think you're perception may have some problem with WHY fansubs exist. And PS it would NOT be for $1/$2 per episode.

My idea is to legalise and monetize fansubs, and the iTunes platform shows the basic idea.

Near simultaneous release with airing in Japan and availablility on a "service" (e.g., iTunes) with a service sub. The software would have the ability to create a plugin that would allow other people to create their own subtitles for the script, and it would be allowed as long as a simple copyright procedure is followed: a particular fan-sub translation is co-owned by the owner of the property and the fansub group under certain restrictions (Creative Commons copyright licenses allows this kind of arrangement). Also, the group allows the owner to enforce the copyright on behalf of the group making it easier for them to shut down eBay pirates.

The studios, licensees and fans all win.

Better idea: Every fan who buys an episode gets a $1 rebate/episode if they buy the DVD when released.

It would never happen. Studios view different formats as different purchases. That's why the DMCA made it "illegal" to break the copy-protection on your DVD for any purpose, even legal backups. Sony's recent wet dream was to get everyone to buy their movies on DVD "and" UMD (notice how well that went Sad). Different format, different puchase. The two will NOT be combined.

Meanwhile they still don't go after bootleggers in other asian countries because it's harder. Even though something like 80%-90% of bootleg movies/music/software occurs with "physical" copies and outside the US. I notice I can still get bootleg GITS DVDs on Ebay, so why the hell are they hassling these people?

[removed bootleg link -t, you don't have to prove that bootlegs exist on ebay]

Last edited by hakubi_tron on Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Josh7289

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:06 pm Reply with quote
Yes! Very good, Bandai! I'm very happy to see a company doing something about this problem!

Thank you very much! Very Happy
Riyousha

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:09 pm Reply with quote
Josh7289 wrote:
Yes! Very good, Bandai! I'm very happy to see a company doing something about this problem!

Why? You hate fansubs?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:14 pm Reply with quote
Riyousha wrote:
Josh7289 wrote:

Why? You hate fansubs?

Moreso we hate self-righteous morons with entitlement-complexes who potentially hurt the industry that supplies us with our interests.
biliano

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:17 pm Reply with quote
Riyousha wrote:
Josh7289 wrote:

Why? You hate fansubs?

The fansubs themselves aren't the main problem; the main problem are the new breed of fansubbers, the neo-fansubbers that Zac pointed out earlier that only fansub anime for their own enjoyment, and don't give a damn about the creators or the industry as a whole. What Bandai is doing is a good thing for the industry, and it's unfortunate that all licensing companies can't afford to do what Bandai is doing in terms of protecting their investments from these crooks, and that's exactly what the neo-fansubbers are.

To Zac: I fixed my initial post on this thread. Wink

Last edited by biliano on Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 29