• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bandai: Do Not Fansub Ghost in the Shell Film

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sentios

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 11:41 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
After this statement everything else you wrote was total bollox. Can you see why? Wink

We're argueing about stealing lemonade last I checked stealing of lemons is a different part of the larger arguement. Also that's just to be selling free lemonade without going into the financial red, some people don't mind if they take a hit. Now please feel free to read the rest of my "bollox", here I'll even save you the time of scrolling back up.

Quote:
If you get lemons for free you can sell lemonade for free and still break even; however if you buy lemons and sell lemonade it's possible to be in the red. Of course the only reasons you won't sell enough lemonade to make up the cost of lemons is if your lemonade tastes terrible, you beat people who got the free lemonade from your neighbor and there by scared your customers off, you tried to sell lemonade at midnight in December*.

*If someone wants your sour lemonade bad enough they can always buy some straight from the store instead of waiting for you to open on a frigid winter night, even if the guy selling lemonade for free isn't there.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 12:03 pm Reply with quote
Sentios wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
After this statement everything else you wrote was total bollox. Can you see why? Wink

We're argueing about stealing lemonade last I checked stealing of lemons is a different part of the larger arguement. Also that's just to be selling free lemonade without going into the financial red, some people don't mind if they take a hit. Now please feel free to read the rest of my "bollox", here I'll even save you the time of scrolling back up.

Quote:
If you get lemons for free you can sell lemonade for free and still break even; however if you buy lemons and sell lemonade it's possible to be in the red. Of course the only reasons you won't sell enough lemonade to make up the cost of lemons is if your lemonade tastes terrible, you beat people who got the free lemonade from your neighbor and there by scared your customers off, you tried to sell lemonade at midnight in December*.

*If someone wants your sour lemonade bad enough they can always buy some straight from the store instead of waiting for you to open on a frigid winter night, even if the guy selling lemonade for free isn't there.
The secret word for the viewers is "steal". Whether one is stealing lemons, or someone's intellectual property, it makes no difference what is done with it afterwards, the crime was it was stolen in the first act.
Sentios

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 2:13 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
The secret word for the viewers is "steal". Whether one is stealing lemons, or someone's intellectual property, it makes no difference what is done with it afterwards, the crime was it was stolen in the first act.

And now we get to the point that both sides can agree about but a major difference erupts from. Your side sees "steal" and tunes out everything after that, a world of black and white; my side sees "steal" but keeps listening, a world of grays. By your side's thought a fansub is bad even if everyone who watches it buys the legit copy and by my side's the intended outcome is for those who watch the fansub to buy a legit copy. It's the dividing point in the entire arguement.
Yoda117

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 2:50 pm Reply with quote
Sentios wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:

And now we get to the point that both sides can agree about but a major difference erupts from. Your side sees "steal" and tunes out everything after that, a world of black and white; my side sees "steal" but keeps listening, a world of grays. By your side's thought a fansub is bad even if everyone who watches it buys the legit copy and by my side's the intended outcome is for those who watch the fansub to buy a legit copy. It's the dividing point in the entire arguement.

This is rich...

Leave it to someone who knows what they are doing is wrong to try and talk about the grays... or a lawyer.

Somehow I don't think you're a lawyer.

Here's the problem. The law was broken prior to those people buying a legit copy. The fansubber, in that world of gray cannot be assumend to intend for other people to buy a legit copy. It also cannot be assumed that each and every person who downloads a fansub will buy a legit copy of the aforementioned item.

Again... weak argument. I believe that this is what one would refer to as a non-sequitur.

While there are rules that allow for one to apply some gray to the law (ie; the letter of the law vs. the spirit of the law), in no way is being required to wait a few or even several months denying you of your life, liberty, or pursuit of happiness (before you even try that argument, you can purchase a foreign DVD and play that instead... it costs you extra money, but does not restrict your from watching the movie... not to mention that having to wait for something does not consititue being a barrier to a pursuit of happiness).

There has always been a gentlemen's agreement of sorts with the anime industry and the fansub community. In this case, one of the parties has made a request which the fansub community should acknowledge and abide by. Nuff said.

this smells much of troll...
Sentios

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 4:18 pm Reply with quote
Yoda117 wrote:
This is rich...

Leave it to someone who knows what they are doing is wrong to try and talk about the grays... or a lawyer.

Somehow I don't think you're a lawyer.

Here's the problem. The law was broken prior to those people buying a legit copy. The fansubber, in that world of gray cannot be assumend to intend for other people to buy a legit copy. It also cannot be assumed that each and every person who downloads a fansub will buy a legit copy of the aforementioned item.

Again... weak argument. I believe that this is what one would refer to as a non-sequitur.

While there are rules that allow for one to apply some gray to the law (ie; the letter of the law vs. the spirit of the law), in no way is being required to wait a few or even several months denying you of your life, liberty, or pursuit of happiness (before you even try that argument, you can purchase a foreign DVD and play that instead... it costs you extra money, but does not restrict your from watching the movie... not to mention that having to wait for something does not consititue being a barrier to a pursuit of happiness).

There has always been a gentlemen's agreement of sorts with the anime industry and the fansub community. In this case, one of the parties has made a request which the fansub community should acknowledge and abide by. Nuff said.

this smells much of troll...

Or leave it to someone who can see more than two colors.

Very well then if that is your concern that what if someone buys a fansub after they buy a legit copy, that would be fine since the crime wasn't committed prior wouldn't it?

Also you can only assume that someone will do as you think or wish them to. If people wish to get a free copy they will regardless of anyone's will. A lawful crusade won't do more than make those people laugh while crushing the people in between.

Why would I try an arguement nearly as flimsy as that. That would be like trying to say that tearing out dozens of people's hearts would make me happy but their ribs are in the way.

That's not a gentlemen's agreement that's one side allows something then kicks the other when they feel like it and blames them for their failures. Please try that with your friends, hit them every time something goes wrong in your life; hit them twice if what went wrong was your fault. Somewhere in this world I'll have to laugh when you have no more friends.

Troll? It's been a long time since anyone has called me that, in fact I think the last time someone did they were an admin at a board I joined. If I recall correctly that board fell apart a few weeks later because the admins abused the members frequently. Go fig. :/
starcade

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 4:40 pm Reply with quote
I think it just comes down to the simple fact that most anime seen in the US by fans is stolen.

Yes, MOST OF IT.

I've talked to several people who run anime cons (after I tell them the main reason I come to cons is the screening rooms), and they tell me openly that most of the reason they don't do more rooms is that people go "I saw that off the Net two years ago." and somesuch.

There are times that I'm in a room which can seat 1,000 and is actually seating about 4.

The fact is that Japan is going to have to take coercive and threatening steps to force American fans to respect their copyrights. It's like a homeless person -- you're not going to get him to act like a reasonable human being, in most cases, unless you threaten him with significant jail time.

I used to actually be quite for fansubbing (there's an anime con in the Bay Area which had 9 screening rooms, and over 100 fansubbed series which constituted probably 95%+ of the schedule!), but I do think there is a problem when it's clear that people don't want to pay for the anime.

This is one of the reasons I said in an unrelated thread that I didn't think Japan liked how America looks at anime! If there's ever a full-on crackdown (which almost is going to have to be coming soon), you could see a lot of the advances in American anime culture reversed.
starcade

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 4:46 pm Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:

I just hope they go after the right people first, and then work there way up. If they don't there will be a backlash. I love my R1s, sorry if that offends anyone. But I am no saint either, my own morals alone make my decisions.

What I mean is, work your way from worst to least. Hong Kong you have got to go. Bootleggers you have got to go. Fansubbers, you know damn well if you are translating english and it has been brought over, what are you doing.

As far as this being the norm. Well I mean come on, they are going to release it in 12 months(~). Protection is key with movies.

The fact is that people are going to have to openly understand that this is not going to be acceptable anymore. The problem is that I see anime "plateauing" in the United States, as it would appear that the fansubbers/thieves/whatever are about two years ahead of the curve.

I mean, I would like to look forward to the new Kaleido Star OVA, but $60 as an import from Japan???
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 5:07 pm Reply with quote
Probably shouldn't be jumping into this, but eh, nothing else going on in the forums right now...

starcade wrote:
I think it just comes down to the simple fact that most anime seen in the US by fans is stolen.

Yes, MOST OF IT.

Of course, you have no proof of this, just basing it on what you've seen on the internet and cons (whose fans do not make up majority of sales).

Try looking at TV ratings, DVD sales, etc. Compare those to the mere few thousand people you see downloading fansubs. You'll see that there really isn't anything to compare.

Last edited by PantsGoblin on Tue Sep 05, 2006 7:40 pm; edited 4 times in total
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 6:35 pm Reply with quote
PantsGoblin wrote:
Of course, you have no proof of this, just basing it on what you've seen on the internet and cons (which does not make up the majority of fans).

Wait, I was under the impression that a majority of sales were made up by 'casual' fans? Are casual fans part of Anime fandom, or are they just fans of specific series? What is a bulk of Anime fandom if not posted on the internet, and attending conventions? As much as he's saying it's the bulk holds as much relevance as you saying that they aren't.

Quote:
Try looking at TV ratings, DVD sales, etc. Compare those to the mere few thousand people you see downloading fansubs. You'll see that there really isn't anything to compare.

First of all, obtaining access to DVD sales and TV ratings is awkward and apparently expensive. If you're able to provide any from a legitimate source, that'd be great. On top of that, if fansubs were simply down to a 'mere thousand' and not as important as you're making out then what is the huge fuss over them?

Unless somehow, Anime was managing to sell less than a few thousand.

A lot of the logic in this thread on both sides seems to shift and shake to 'support' whatever argument they're trying to support. I am somewhat bias against fansubs but there are things about them that cannot be denied (in that a LOT of people download them).
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 7:29 pm Reply with quote
Wow, a lot of you really need to step back from the internet.

No, the majority of people who watch anime in America do not watch it fansubbed. Most people don't even know how to work bittorrent, they just watch Adult Swim and buy DVDs every now and then. Bittorrent is a phenomenon to be sure, but to make statements like MOST ANIME IS STOLEN is just plain ignorant. The numbers for bittorrent are global, not just in America; that number you see isn't just Americans, it's people from every country in the world.

Knowing that, the half-million people or so who watch Adult Swim shows outnumber the people downloading bittorrents in America pretty soundly. And the millions watching Toonami stuff? Bittorrent isn't even in the same ballpark.

It's easy to assume that when you surround yourself with hardcore tech-savvy fandom that you start to think they're a majority, but that's not the truth at all.
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 7:32 pm Reply with quote
Steventheeunuch wrote:
Wait, I was under the impression that a majority of sales were made up by 'casual' fans? Are casual fans part of Anime fandom, or are they just fans of specific series? What is a bulk of Anime fandom if not posted on the internet, and attending conventions? As much as he's saying it's the bulk holds as much relevance as you saying that they aren't.

My wording wasn't exactly correct, more what I meant was, that people who are on the internet and attend cons don't contribute to the majority of sales if they were to contribute. Just like you said, casual fans make up most of the sales.

Steventheeunuch wrote:
First of all, obtaining access to DVD sales and TV ratings is awkward and apparently expensive. If you're able to provide any from a legitimate source, that'd be great.

Hmm, I'd assume that the top rated anime shows on CN wouldn't be that hard to get a hold of. I know that top selling DVDs are very easy to find resources on. I meant comparing those to the most popular fansubs.

Steventheeunuch wrote:
On top of that, if fansubs were simply down to a 'mere thousand' and not as important as you're making out then what is the huge fuss over them?

It certainly is a big enough amount that it is worth going after, it just doesn't make up the majority of people who watch anime. Take Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children for example which sold 1.3 million copies. Just 1% of that would be 13,000 units lost. Times that by $25 per DVD... and they would certainly be losing a lot of money, even for such a small percentage.

Last edited by PantsGoblin on Tue Sep 05, 2006 7:51 pm; edited 3 times in total
Sentios

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 7:34 pm Reply with quote
starcade wrote:

Yes, MOST OF IT.

I've talked to several people who run anime cons (after I tell them the main reason I come to cons is the screening rooms), and they tell me openly that most of the reason they don't do more rooms is that people go "I saw that off the Net two years ago." and somesuch.

There are times that I'm in a room which can seat 1,000 and is actually seating about 4.

The fact is that Japan is going to have to take coercive and threatening steps to force American fans to respect their copyrights. It's like a homeless person -- you're not going to get him to act like a reasonable human being, in most cases, unless you threaten him with significant jail time.

I used to actually be quite for fansubbing (there's an anime con in the Bay Area which had 9 screening rooms, and over 100 fansubbed series which constituted probably 95%+ of the schedule!), but I do think there is a problem when it's clear that people don't want to pay for the anime.

This is one of the reasons I said in an unrelated thread that I didn't think Japan liked how America looks at anime! If there's ever a full-on crackdown (which almost is going to have to be coming soon), you could see a lot of the advances in American anime culture reversed.

I'm an anime fan and never been to a convention. Reason I don't go: I don't like people. Persons I can deal with people I can't. I believe it was said best in men in black "A person is smart; people are dumb panicky dangerous animals and you know it."

Also you forget to think for yourself. It is the companies that tell you fansubs are the reason people don't want to pay for anime. It's much the same as Hollywood does with movie pirates; they don't really tell you that they've been releasing garbage for the past several years. Seriously last time I went to a theatre was several years ago and no I don't pirate the American stuff... because I have no desire to watch it.

It is human nature to blame another, fansubbers are just there to take the fall. (Don't tell me there's the import option because what's the use of watching something you don't understand. Sure we could always learn Japanese as proof of our fandom... or our addicition...)
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:12 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Wow, a lot of you really need to step back from the internet.

No, the majority of people who watch anime in America do not watch it fansubbed. Most people don't even know how to work bittorrent, they just watch Adult Swim and buy DVDs every now and then. Bittorrent is a phenomenon to be sure, but to make statements like MOST ANIME IS STOLEN is just plain ignorant. The numbers for bittorrent are global, not just in America; that number you see isn't just Americans, it's people from every country in the world.

Knowing that, the half-million people or so who watch Adult Swim shows outnumber the people downloading bittorrents in America pretty soundly. And the millions watching Toonami stuff? Bittorrent isn't even in the same ballpark.

It's easy to assume that when you surround yourself with hardcore tech-savvy fandom that you start to think they're a majority, but that's not the truth at all.

Then aren't we getting into the problem where all Anime is simply going into one category and that's all there is to it? In that things on Toonami/AS/whatever are fine and will do well, or something like Advent Children already has an insane fandom behind it, but lesser known titles are being downloaded at a larger rate than they're being bought? If that wasn't the case then why is it such a big issue? I just want to know why people are lambasting fansubs for destroying the industry and being bad, and five minutes later saying they're unimportant and don't actually count?
bayoab

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:44 pm Reply with quote
Sentios wrote:
Also you forget to think for yourself. It is the companies that tell you fansubs are the reason people don't want to pay for anime. It's much the same as Hollywood does with movie pirates; they don't really tell you that they've been releasing garbage for the past several years. Seriously last time I went to a theatre was several years ago and no I don't pirate the American stuff... because I have no desire to watch it.

Except, with fansubs, that argument holds 0 weight. The companies may be releasing crap, but if you watched it on fansub, it obviously isn't crap enough and is the same thing as pirating a movie. I do agree with you that some companies have been releasing crap recently. However, this is not just a "recent fall" in sales like with the movie industry. People are not just watching less anime.

Why would the companies claim fansubs are bad (to the point of law suits) if they were not truely bad? If this were a lie, they would be shooting themselves in the foot. They are not just the fall guys.
Yoda117

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:41 pm Reply with quote
Sentios wrote:

Or leave it to someone who can see more than two colors.

LOL! If you saw more than two colors, you would understand how to do this legally.

Haven't heard it yet, and while I have taken the last few months to research this subject for something that is upcoming on another site, you haven't yet given anything other than a weak argument.

Quote:

Very well then if that is your concern that what if someone buys a fansub after they buy a legit copy, that would be fine since the crime wasn't committed prior wouldn't it?

As for the buying a fansub after buying a legit copy... that too would be illegal, as the fansubber does not have the license, nor the rights to the license and therefore cannot accept money under current laws.

all that said, I think you meant watch it... not buy it. That's still not really appropriate as you are helping to promote an illegal activity

Quote:
Also you can only assume that someone will do as you think or wish them to. If people wish to get a free copy they will regardless of anyone's will. A lawful crusade won't do more than make those people laugh while crushing the people in between.

Right. So the guys like animejunkies wouldn't get the message? Knowing them, they'd continue... but their fanbase would dry up a bit. They'd also be under more scrutiny.

Now all that said, I can't "only assume that people will do as I think or wish them to." Quite the opposite. I assume that people will always look for a loophole. When not smart enough to find one, they'll rationalize or philosphize about why it should be free anyway.

Quote:

Why would I try an arguement nearly as flimsy as that. That would be like trying to say that tearing out dozens of people's hearts would make me happy but their ribs are in the way.

Been around long enough to call it like I see it. Much like the troll comment.

Quote:

That's not a gentlemen's agreement that's one side allows something then kicks the other when they feel like it and blames them for their failures. Please try that with your friends, hit them every time something goes wrong in your life; hit them twice if what went wrong was your fault. Somewhere in this world I'll have to laugh when you have no more friends.

If I ask someone not to do something and warn them of the consequences, then I don't have a problem with them paying the price for their transgressions. In this case, despite other titles being released this one was selected. Considering one of the major studios actually gave a nod to the fansubbers last season during the opening credits for the final episode of one of their shows, your argument holds no water.... again.

Oh, that goes for anime companies too. But two wrongs don't make a right... never have. But three rights do make a left Smile

Quote:
Troll? It's been a long time since anyone has called me that, in fact I think the last time someone did they were an admin at a board I joined. If I recall correctly that board fell apart a few weeks later because the admins abused the members frequently. Go fig. :/

Two things. First, I'm not an admin. Second, see the earlier comment about calling it as I see it.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 28 of 29