• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Newsweek on Youtube and Haruhi Suzumiya

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Treeloot

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:01 pm Reply with quote
Fansubs don't bother me, because the fansubbers aren't making any money. Hell, torrents of DVD rips don't even bother me. This YouTube business irritates me because YouTube is making money from pirated anime.

Richard J. wrote:
Kouji wrote:
And while Japan is worrying about youtube.com, people from other countries are still uploading torrents of fansubs and selling Hong Kong bootlegs yet Japan hasn't stopped them yet, especially the whole Hong Kong bootleg problem that's been going on for ages and then there's still Google Video....

The main problem Japan has with trying to do anything about the Hong Kong bootlegs is the fact that the bootlegging industry in Hong Kong IS an industry. There is such an enormous system in place for bootleging that it can't be stopped easily no matter how much effort they put in. Basically, unless the government in Hong Kong does a major (i.e. expensive and time-consuming) crack down, the Hong Kong bootleg empire will never fall.

YouTube is an easy target. It would probably be very easy for someone to completely eliminate YouTube with a major lawsuit or diminish it to unimportance like what happened with Napster.

Google Video might not be on their radar yet.

I don't think Google Video has nearly as many problems with piracy as YouTube does.
RezSav

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:03 pm Reply with quote
mainichi-msn posted an article similar to this http://mdn.mainichi-msn.co.jp/waiwai/news/20060701p2g00m0dm015000c.html

I don't know how much of a difference two people will make, if Fuji TV is really worried about their products showing up on Youtube they'll need to hire a team of 20+ people to really make a dent... either that or take down the Japanese Youtube search engines
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:12 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:

Youtube is, IMHO, in an even more risky situation that Napster. Napster only kept a list of files that it's users had, Youtube hosts the files...

Hopefully Youtube will find a way to continue to provide its service, while keeping people from uploading wholesale pirated videos. I think Youtube is great for all those viral videos, as well as pesonal vidoes, and brief clips of broadcast items... I'd hate to see it go the way of Napster...

-t

I think that somewhere in the future legal action will take place against Youtube, if you look at that site and just look at how many pirated items are HOSTED on the site it's quite shocking that it is still around.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:14 pm Reply with quote
This is a pandemic not just limited to Fuji TV.

Example- Ultimate Fighting Championship has a Pay Per View show.

Next day- All the fights are on Youtube, and they become the most watched videos for the day.

Next day- The UFC's owners call Youtube and order the videos taken down.

One week later- The same videos are back online, many under false names, some under the same names as before.

Rinse and repeat, but the videos in question are almost never out of reach. The problem with Youtube is that the access is instantaeous. There's no file to download, no middleman to go through. It's just you and the media.
Riyousha

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:15 pm Reply with quote
RezSav wrote:
I don't know how much of a difference two people will make, if Fuji TV is really worried about their products showing up on Youtube they'll need to hire a team of 20+ people to really make a dent... either that or take down the Japanese Youtube search engines

Or mabey Fuji TV will have a YouTube account and anything they upload will be copyrighted by them. So that they will have a picture of the Fuji TV logo and the sign that says "Director" under their logo on YouTube.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
hiimrisa

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:17 pm Reply with quote
A lot of Japanese videos have been removed off Youtube. But then people just go ahead and upload more and find ways to cheat the system. Well, I guess it makes sense. I just wish that some of the japanese programs I watch have online streaming because they don't. It's a nice try, but these two people need to get really smart.

And about google video, they don't have a lot of the videos I like, unlike youtube so yeah.
Avacado Burger

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:23 pm Reply with quote
This whole thing was inevitable. So much copyrighted stuff passes in and out of Youtube's server, I'm surprised it took this long for a big entity to notice.

On one hand, this strikes a blow to easy access anime and videos (for those unfortunately not familiar with BT), but on the other hand; You're better off getting a fansub or DVD for some of those piss poor quality videos they have up there, and they're not split into annoying 3-part intervals.

But don't you think FUJI TV could be a little less tightassed and hire more than two people to surf the web? Hell, you could hire people at minimum wage to go run around Youtube and report.
Kouji

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:30 pm Reply with quote
Steventheeunuch wrote:
Ban any Anime or TV show related clip over three or five minutes or so. This won't fix the problem in its entirety but I can see this dissuading people from continuing to upload entire episodes.

(ban words such as Naruto, Haruhi Suzumiya, One Piece, whatever else is obviously popular, because chances are whatevers being uploaded is a copyright violation anyway).
That's a good option but what I'd rather have them do is to have a paid service on youtube where you can only watch videos under five minutes for free but require you to sign up for a paid account to watch videos over five minutes, then youtube can use that money from the paid accounts to pay royalties or whatever to the companies. That way people who want to watch full length episodes on youtube can do so legally because they'll have to pay for the service and that money would go to the companies or whatever but then people like me who only use youtube to watch three minute long AMVs don't have to sign up for a paid account to watch full length episodes if they don't want to watch those on youtube. And I still don't get why anime companies don't offer a legal service for downloading just anime if they're so worried about illegal downloading because the only way they're going to get anime fans to even start cutting back on illegal downloading let alone stopping all together is if they offer an alternative legal service. It worked for iTunes, why can't it work for anime?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
ChibiGoku

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:42 pm Reply with quote
To add onto this. TMS Entertainment went after my friend's Sonic X site..

Quote:

Removal of Sonic X eps
To whom it may concern,

I am a member of Business and Legal Affairs at TMS Entertainment, Ltd., one
of the animation producers and distributors in Tokyo, Japan.

We have been recently noticed that your site "(Site name Removed)" has been broadcasting
our animated cartoon program "Sonic X" and we request you to cease the
broadcasting of the title immediately upon receipt of this e-mail.

We are one of the legitimate copyright holders of this program, and we
believe that your company is not entitled to give such presentation without
our authorization.

Under this circumstance, we believe that your are clearly violating our
rights in and to the above mentioned program, including the copyright
herein.

We thank you for your prompt response to this matter.

Sincerely,

Midori Nohara
Legal&Business Affairs
TMS Entertainment. Ltd.

True, I understand the reason to this. But my major gripe is the second half of the series, it's almost impossible to own it legit. Not to mention, here in the US, 4Kids Entertainment owns the license, which... I don't think anyone would want to support their license of the series...

Regardless of my opinion or not, I can see this'll be a pain for the fansub community.
Zeiram

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:49 pm Reply with quote
sunrise also requested all their items be removed

mai hime AMVs suffered the removal fate thereof which upsets me

I don't think they should be classified the same way
Pwolf

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:49 pm Reply with quote
Sunrise is doing the same thing, to a degree. Somone had put up an AMV of mine: I found it one day, then a few days later i went to check up on it and youtube says it's no longer available due to Surise being the rightful license holder. which wasn't entirely true as i did use anime from different companies. but thats not the point Razz I don't really want my videos on youtube anyway, they make em look like crap and people are "stealing" em anyway, heh.

Pwolf
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime
Richard J.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:50 pm Reply with quote
Kouji wrote:
That's a good option but what I'd rather have them do is to have a paid service on youtube where you can only watch videos under five minutes for free but require you to sign up for a paid account to watch videos over five minutes, then youtube can use that money from the paid accounts to pay royalties or whatever to the companies. That way people who want to watch full length episodes on youtube can do so legally because they'll have to pay for the service and that money would go to the companies or whatever but then people like me who only use youtube to watch three minute long AMVs don't have to sign up for a paid account to watch full length episodes if they don't want to watch those on youtube. And I still don't get why anime companies don't offer a legal service for downloading just anime if they're so worried about illegal downloading because the only way they're going to get anime fans to even start cutting back on illegal downloading let alone stopping all together is if they offer an alternative legal service. It worked for iTunes, why can't it work for anime?

That's not a half bad idea. The two problems I see are that, unless the episodes are raw, the Japanese companies would probably want some control over the subbing.

Also, this might hurt domestic releases. Some companies would be hesitant to spend money to licence a series if it's already been available for viewing on the site and failed to earn much attention. Even if a series is popular, they might think that since a lot of people had already watched, they might not feel a need to buy the DVDs.

Since the anime companies rely on the licencing fees, they'd probably be hesitant to do anything that might threaten them.

Of course, people having already watched TV shows doesn't seem to hurt DVD sales so maybe I'm over-thinking. Still, considering how fansub popularity (i.e. internet popularity) doesn't always translate to sales, I could see a company being more cautious.

One way or the other, you are right about the need for a legal downloading service for anime. The internet will only grow more important as time goes on. The illegal activity can be curbed by providing a legal (and hopefully for them profitable) way to download episodes.

Yeesh, I'm long-winded today.
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:00 pm Reply with quote
Zeiram wrote:
sunrise also requested all their items be removed

mai hime AMVs suffered the removal fate thereof which upsets me

I don't think they should be classified the same way

it's two counts of unauthorised copyrighted footage/music usage, so how should it not?
v1cious

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:09 pm Reply with quote
T0FFe3m@n wrote:
This is what happens when cool sites like Youtube get too popular. A good thing never lasts, and i fear this may go down the same route.. Sad

i agree. i hate it when this happens.
cyrax777

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:10 pm Reply with quote
its only a matter of time before they sued out of existence.
unless they move to some po dunk 3rd world nation that isnt a signature of the berne convention and grease the right palms.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7