• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Newsweek on Youtube and Haruhi Suzumiya

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hikaru004

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 9:52 pm Reply with quote
[quote="v1cious"]
Zac wrote:
Kouji wrote:
It isn't YOUR music, it isn't YOUR TV show. Liking a cartoon or a song no more entitles you to rearranging that show or that song or distributing either of them for free any more than liking Porsches entitles you to a free Porsche.

and if you paid money for that Porsche, is it then not your right to customize it? what if there people are using their own dvds, or their own cds that they purchased?

You can do anything you want with it as long as 10,000 of your "closest friends" aren't going to see it (basically anyone beyond yourself) or it's a work of parody. Parody is in the eye of the rights holder and not you.

So, in the end, AMVs and MADs exist by the grace of the copyright holders. At least MAD artists know that they are on shaky ground and don't openly advertise.
birdboy2000

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 10:31 pm Reply with quote
[quote="hikaru004"]
v1cious wrote:
Zac wrote:
Kouji wrote:
It isn't YOUR music, it isn't YOUR TV show. Liking a cartoon or a song no more entitles you to rearranging that show or that song or distributing either of them for free any more than liking Porsches entitles you to a free Porsche.

and if you paid money for that Porsche, is it then not your right to customize it? what if there people are using their own dvds, or their own cds that they purchased?

You can do anything you want with it as long as 10,000 of your "closest friends" aren't going to see it (basically anyone beyond yourself) or it's a work of parody. Parody is in the eye of the rights holder and not you.

So, in the end, AMVs and MADs exist by the grace of the copyright holders. At least MAD artists know that they are on shaky ground and don't openly advertise.

And so you would see a flowering of not-for-profit creativity destroyed, simply to uphold copyright. Personally, I don't see how banning freely-distributed AMVs, fanart, or fanfic(both on similar legal grounds to AMVs) is "promoting the progress of science and useful arts."
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
hikaru004

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 11:00 pm Reply with quote
Well, someone who made that piece of film, music, game CG or drawing did it for profit. If you're using it and it's not for your personal gratification or a work of parody as defined by the rights holder, then pay up or be prepared to defend your position legally. That's the law. Those artists and the companies that own the properties have to make a living.

I love AMVs and MADs. But unless the laws are changed, they are at the mercy of the copyrights holders. Nowadays, people just want their share and couldn't care less about "not-for-profit creativity".
cyrax777

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 4:03 am Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:
Well, someone who made that piece of film, music, game CG or drawing did it for profit. If you're using it and it's not for your personal gratification or a work of parody as defined by the rights holder, then pay up or be prepared to defend your position legally. That's the law. Those artists and the companies that own the properties have to make a living.

I love AMVs and MADs. But unless the laws are changed, they are at the mercy of the copyrights holders. Nowadays, people just want their share and couldn't care less about "not-for-profit creativity".
Whats a MAD?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
daxomni

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 4:23 am Reply with quote
Wake up, America! While you've been slumbering the copyright holders have been buying off our worthless government with endless requests for new limitations. The fact of the matter is that signing "Happy Birthday" in public is breaking US copyright law. Why the hell is that the case? Maybe because America is just so damn pro-business that consumer interests don't even register any more. I don't support fansubbers and bootleggers, but US copyright law is at the other extreme. One group ignores copyrights and the other ignores consumers. Why the hell can't we find some sort of balance?
Samurai-with-glasses

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 7:26 am Reply with quote
daxomni wrote:
Wake up, America! While you've been slumbering the copyright holders have been buying off our worthless government with endless requests for new limitations. The fact of the matter is that signing "Happy Birthday" in public is breaking US copyright law. Why the hell is that the case? Maybe because America is just so damn pro-business that consumer interests don't even register any more. I don't support fansubbers and bootleggers, but US copyright law is at the other extreme. One group ignores copyrights and the other ignores consumers. Why the hell can't we find some sort of balance?
Whatever is the case, I'd say you surely can't blame Fuji TV or Bandai for that. It's not like these two are going the Microsoft way and start throwing temper tantrums like "DX10 on Vista only!" without recognizing the fact that the overwhelming majority of XP users have no need for a new, buggy, hardware-consuming OS anytime soon.

Youtube is sadly gonna get it now that it's way too popular. It's not that often that Japanese Companies would bother to suppress the fansubbing/piracy thing stateside, but they're pretty touchy when it comes to their domestic profits, no?

Unless, of course, they move their servers elsewhere, somewhere outside the WTO and the Berne Convention.
daxomni

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:02 am Reply with quote
I don't blame Fuji and others for taking action to help prevent obvious and wanton infringement. Like I said, I don't feel that pirates and fansubbers should be allowed to continue ignoring copyrights without facing the consequences. However, I also think that singing Happy Birthday in public and using anime characters as avatars should be completely legal (and not just un-enforced at the mercy of the copyright holder).

AMV creators should be allowed to buy an AMV license for a reasonable sum and/or sell their creations on iTunes with a majority of the profit going to the original content creators. This sort of honest compromise makes a lot more sense than the nonsense we're stuck with now. Overly-aggressive copyright restrictions have helped perpetuate flagrant disrespect toward copyright holders and quite frankly I'm sick of it.
frouella

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 2:30 pm Reply with quote
So, basically, it sounds like Fuji TV is upset because they are losing money on a market that they didn't previously consider to be important and didn't adequately cover, and now they want to stop it. Oh, okay. Rolling Eyes

Someone explain this to me if I'm wrong, but don't American companies buy the licenses from the Japanese companies, and then the American company can dub/distribute it (for the most part)? Just want to clear this up for the rest of the argument...

Okay, so one of the biggest points I hear in defense of YouTube, fandubs, bittorrents, etc., is that it takes too long for series to be licensed here, and that some don't get picked up at all. To remedy this, howzabout the Japanese companies develop a part of their websites to show the series that haven't been picked up, using some kind of similar format to YouTube, the exception being that viewers would pay some sort of fee (either by episode or monthly) to watch them? That way, the US companies would have to get their asses in gear to pick up series before they became over-exposed, and the Japanese companies would get some global revenue from a previously untapped market.

The only other solution I can think of would be to move to Japan, and considering how the Japanese population is currently shrinking, maybe that isn't such a bad idea either! Laughing Maybe we could talk Fuji TV into sponsoring our mass exodus...
Minai

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 2:55 pm Reply with quote
[quote="momomochi]Speaking of fansubs, they are technically illegal, but yet in a way not. I feel that if it's not licensed in America it should be allowed to be fansubbed.[/quote]

Confused Well, they are not in any way legal. That's one undisputable fact no matter which way you go on this argument. It is illegal to distribute for free material that doesn't belong to you. If you look at things like Doujinshi, sure, some artists support it, but some don't. They have every right to say what can and can't be done with their creative property. I don't see how folks can respect the product of artists so much, and yet not respect the rights of artists themselves.
The way the distribution system stands, something that is fansubbed berfore it is liscensed is very difficult to get off the system once it is liscensed. It would be nice if all the fans who downloaded the show pre-liscense would stop distributing it once it was liscensed, and then buy it once it came out here, but sadly many don't. And we don't have rights that are being violated by restricting distribution; the artists do.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 3:38 pm Reply with quote
cyrax777 wrote:
Whats a MAD?

Look here.

They tend to be hard to find, copyright laws as they are. There's even commericial ones being released. I mostly look for the anime music video types, but the other types like the one that simulated channel surfing was great. They are so good! Smile

@frouella: I don't think that its Fuji TV being pissed because Americans are seeing their product, but rather Fuji TV is pissed because the Japanese consumer is posting on YouTube and others are watching it instead of their broadcasts. They will probably lose program sponsors if the program's ratings drop.

Also, someone can correct me who lives in Japan, but I think that there is a fee attached to streaming media. It's free on YouTube. So, streaming content providers are also losing income. That would be like seeing Flag on YouTube instead of paying Bandai Channel or Solid State Society on YouTube instead of paying SkyPerfecTV! .
YoruMitsukai

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 1:31 am Reply with quote
mufurc wrote:
dormcat wrote:
They don't use BT (or eDonkey/eMule) as often. Instead, the major P2P programs used in Japan are WinMX, Winny, and Share.

Sadly, Winmx is not around anymore (at least not in a way that I know ...

Last I knew WinMX was really underground and stuffs, but it still existed. XD I used it after it was shut down and such, and I did find a lot of japanese people using it, although this was quite some time ago, so I'm not sure on the current status. But I'm pretty sure it's enjoying the same place Winny is.

Anyhow, I'm kind of for the "Go Fuji TV!" side of things, I think. But they really should try to learn something from this, too. (And I do enjoy sitting at my computer flagging videos, hire me please??? XD)

And I don't think YouTube will be around in some time. Probably shorter than we all expect. I did enjoy watching old japanese spiderman clips on it though :D.... hehe.
Nerv1

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 11:08 pm Reply with quote
My friend told me about this recently. Many people in Japan are going on to youtube to watch missed episodes of their favorite anime and either the goverment or the anime companies caught onto it and are now starting to remove "illegal" anime on the website. It's so stupid, my friend got a video removed because it was considered "illegal".The video was the shaman king opening with the opening music from evangelion which worked perfectly and it got removed!!! And now they are starting to remove episodes from escaflowne, hellsing and etc.
Riyousha

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 11:20 pm Reply with quote
Nerv1 wrote:
My friend told me about this recently. Many people in Japan are going on to youtube to watch missed episodes of their favorite anime and either the goverment or the anime companies caught onto it and are now starting to remove "illegal" anime on the website. It's so stupid, my friend got a video removed because it was considered "illegal".The video was the shaman king opening with the opening music from evangelion which worked perfectly and it got removed!!! And now they are starting to remove episodes from escaflowne, hellsing and etc.

Well there's a company that removed all the cartoon episodes (Fosters Home For Imagenary Friends, Looney Tunes, etc.) because the users who uploaded them don't own the copyright or these shows.

But as long as Jetix doesn't remove any episodes of Power Rangers Mystic Force, everything's okay.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
hikaru004

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 11:02 am Reply with quote
Nerv1 wrote:

Escaflowne and Hellsing are both licensed in the US. It's not suppose to be there period unless Bandai and Geneon respectively approved it. Those Japanese viewers need to remember what TiVo and other DVRs and VCRs are for. YouTube is very lucky it's not being sued yet. I hate to see what happens if the MPAA starts browsing that site.

Technically, the AMV is illegal. Your friend should have posted his AMV on a popular anime music video website.
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 12:12 am Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:
I hate to see what happens if the MPAA starts browsing that site.

Hey, good idea!! Be back in about a couple of hours.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7