• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Discotek Adds DNA2, 1st Lupin III TV Special, Dragon Half, Fatal Fury Specials

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:00 am Reply with quote
I just have to ask, do you [insults removed]. I swear it was the same thing on the Nadia story, glad they rescued it because now I can buy, lulz its so super expensive. No its not.

No Nadia, isnt neither is DNA2 or pretty much the majority of anime products. In an age where Aniplex puts out 100 plus parts, ie 200 plus for whole sets, and where you standard anime cost 40-60 depending on format, spending 30-40 (you can get the whole collection, or buy the singles on Amazon) bucks on DNA2 is not a lot, and I am sure you can even get it cheaper on Ebay.

At some point you just have to stop the BS and admit, you basically won't pay for a work because to anyone collection anime/manga or related merchandise, the cost of something like DNA is not even a blink of an eye.

And someone was asking Iria to be licensed rescued, for Christ sake, I saw like 3 copies of it at a HPB for under 20 bucks. No its not rare, and no its not hard to get.

[Mod Edit: Yeah, the attack against other posters is completely unnecessary. Make your point and be done with it, insulting people will only get your posts deleted or your account placed under moderation. - Keonyn]
Judge Of Toyama

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:52 am Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
I just have to ask, do you [insults removed]. I swear it was the same thing on the Nadia story, glad they rescued it because now I can buy, lulz its so super expensive. No its not.

No Nadia, isnt neither is DNA2 or pretty much the majority of anime products. In an age where Aniplex puts out 100 plus parts, ie 200 plus for whole sets, and where you standard anime cost 40-60 depending on format, spending 30-40 (you can get the whole collection, or buy the singles on Amazon) bucks on DNA2 is not a lot, and I am sure you can even get it cheaper on Ebay.

At some point you just have to stop the BS and admit, you basically won't pay for a work because to anyone collection anime/manga or related merchandise, the cost of something like DNA is not even a blink of an eye.

And someone was asking Iria to be licensed rescued, for Christ sake, I saw like 3 copies of it at a HPB for under 20 bucks. No its not rare, and no its not hard to get.

You might be partially correct that DNA2 and Nadia are not all that expensive if you make the assumption that everyone wants to buy a used copy of these shows and not brand new.
Jedi Master

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:14 pm Reply with quote
I'm looking forward to completing the Fatal Fury trilogy in my DVD collection.

I will always remember the second OAV for having the spoiler[ironic "fighting is wrong" ending] years before the first Pokemon movie did it.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:21 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
Full agreement from me though I had to resort to watching Dragon Half on youtube and DNA^2 through even more nefarious means. Also, it wasn't that hard to find and it was even a dual language presentation so there are fans of the show out there years later.

Fatal Fury? If I've learned anything about anime and fighting video game adaptations, it's to stay away from them.

It doesn't take a whole lot of effort to make a dual-audio DVD rip, so I doubt the presence of the English audio is proof enough of an enormous dub fanbase. It's there, and if people want to choose it, it's available.

As for the Fatal Fury movie, it's actually pretty entertaining. Doesn't make much sense, but it's not outright terrible.

CrownKlown wrote:

You're being [insult removed] to think that just because it's available used that it shouldn't be relicensed and made newly available, possibly with a better video encode or even a new video transfer. Also, I like that you completely ignored that the Nadia license was also for the BLU-RAY, you know, those things that aren't DVDs? Go ahead, I dare you find a cheap version of an R1 release of Nadia on BD. Should be kind of difficult since it doesn't exist.
FLCLGainax

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:19 pm Reply with quote
Dragon Half's back in print? Sweet. It has one of ADV's more memorable comedy dubs.
Gyt Kaliba

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:17 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Gyt:
Quote:
I'm honestly kind of shocked it got rescued though since, it's kind of a non-entity here.

DNA2 has a fanbase through the fansubs, and, more importantly, a dub.

If it's got a fan base, it's certainly a pretty small one that I've never really encountered prior to now - though I did see quite a few people excited on their FB announcement, so maybe it is a bigger deal than I've seen, which is pretty cool.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
E-Master

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:42 pm Reply with quote
With the license of the first Lupin TV special, that only leaves The 1990-1992, 2001, & 2003 & later TV specials to remain unlicensed as of yet. I do agree that the 1993-2000 TV specials as well as the Nostadamus & Dead or Alive movies do deserve to be back in print, while most of them can still be purchased online for new or used. I was fortunate to purchase all of ten of those titles when they were still in print. I even own a hand full of other Funimation titles that aren't in print anymore and are no longer listed on their official website.
MetalUpa1014

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:42 pm Reply with quote
Several months ago, I actually found both the Lupin III First Haul and Final Haul box sets at my local used bookstore. Funimation basically released all ten of their Lupin TV Specials/Movies that they owned in two box sets. Today, they're really rare and go for pretty high prices on eBay. I got both all together for $30. Cool

Although I won't be buying it, I'm glad that Discotek is trying to release more Lupin III stuff. Now where is The Castle of Cagliostro on US Blu-Ray!?
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:43 pm Reply with quote
Gyt: Katsura's manga ain't popular, but DNA2 was one of the most traded anime of the 90s.
E-Master

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:21 pm Reply with quote
MetalUpa1014 wrote:
Several months ago, I actually found both the Lupin III First Haul and Final Haul box sets at my local used bookstore. Funimation basically released all ten of their Lupin TV Specials/Movies that they owned in two box sets. Today, they're really rare and go for pretty high prices on eBay. I got both all together for $30. Cool

Although I won't be buying it, I'm glad that Discotek is trying to release more Lupin III stuff. Now where is The Castle of Cagliostro on US Blu-Ray!?

Great find, I also own those two sets which didn't took up as much room as the single release DVDs of the ten Lupin movies released by Funimation. I also would love to see Cagliostro get released on Blu-ray for the US market as much as seeing a relicense of the Red Jacket series. But as its said before that was a long series and would have to be released on at least 3 to 4 box set. While the Pink Jacket series was shorter and would only need one box set, I'd like that one to get license only cause its the only Lupin TV series to not be released on DVD in the US.
MetalUpa1014

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:28 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Great find, I also own those two sets which didn't took up as much room as the single release DVDs of the ten Lupin movies released by Funimation. I also would love to see Cagliostro get released on Blu-ray for the US market as much as seeing a relicense of the Red Jacket series. But as its said before that was a long series and would have to be released on at least 3 to 4 box set. While the Pink Jacket series was shorter and would only need one box set, I'd like that one to get license only cause its the only Lupin TV series to not be released on DVD in the US.

Oddly enough, only 79 of the 155 episodes were ever dubbed into English and released on home video in the United States. I'd like to own whatever has been released officially, but I personally see it as a waste of time to track down 15 individual DVD volumes of a series that's not even complete here.

Europe and Japan have had Cagliostro on Blu-ray for quite some time. Unfortunately, the Japanese version, while Region A, has no English subtitle or dubbing options. The European version is only Region B. I asked Manga U.S. via Twitter if they still own the license to the film but they claim that they no longer have the rights. It makes me wonder if Discotek will pull through with it. They already had an excellent and complete release with Mamo. In a perfect world, I'd wish for a deluxe Blu-ray set with a high-quality transfer and both English dubs. Hope it happens eventually.

At least the third series is getting streaming via Hulu, as god-awful as that service is. Not sure if it'd ever get an official release here.

It's odd to me why stuff like Death Note, Dragon Ball, and Sailor Moon is so popular; but Lupin III and Gundam haven't hit their mark despite both being influential Japanese franchises.
E-Master

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:11 pm Reply with quote
MetalUpa1014 wrote:

Oddly enough, only 79 of the 155 episodes were ever dubbed into English and released on home video in the United States. I'd like to own whatever has been released officially, but I personally see it as a waste of time to track down 15 individual DVD volumes of a series that's not even complete here.
Which is why if it gets licensed by Discotek, the undub episodes will be sub only. Much like Fist of the North Star was only dub 1/4 within the series.

Quote:
Europe and Japan have had Cagliostro on Blu-ray for quite some time. Unfortunately, the Japanese version, while Region A, has no English subtitle or dubbing options. The European version is only Region B. I asked Manga U.S. via Twitter if they still own the license to the film but they claim that they no longer have the rights. It makes me wonder if Discotek will pull through with it. They already had an excellent and complete release with Mamo. In a perfect world, I'd wish for a deluxe Blu-ray set with a high-quality transfer and both English dubs. Hope it happens eventually.
i never saw the older English dub, but it would be cool to see that and the manga dub get included on a newer release like what Discotek did for Mamo.

Quote:
At least the third series is getting streaming via Hulu, as god-awful as that service is. Not sure if it'd ever get an official release here.
Least it's getting exposure in some form for American fans despite that Hulu isn't everyone's favorite streaming website.

Quote:
It's odd to me why stuff like Death Note, Dragon Ball, and Sailor Moon is so popular; but Lupin III and Gundam haven't hit their mark despite both being influential Japanese franchises.
I ask that question every day, and I only encounter die hard anime fans who know who Lupin is.
MetalUpa1014

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:24 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Which is why if it gets licensed by Discotek, the undub episodes will be sub only. Much like Fist of the North Star was only dub 1/4 within the series.

It makes me wonder how they'd even release this series. A huge complete series set (preferably on Blu-ray) would be beast. These materials do exist since pretty much all the Lupin III stuff has been released on Blu-Ray in Japan.

Quote:
i never saw the older English dub, but it would be cool to see that and the manga dub get included on a newer release like what Discotek did for Mamo.

You're not really missing much. Just like most other Streamline dubs, it's only passable. I really prefer the Manga dub because David Hayter is one of my favorite voice actors ever. If it was included, it'd be more for historical purposes. It's a miracle that Discotek was able to get all four dubs for Mamo, including the extremely rare Toho International Flights dub. It's great when these companies include all the dubs in one release for the die-hard collectors like me. Speaking of which, I'm looking forward to Funimation's Akira Special Edition set which comes out this week.

I actually wrote this really in-depth review/analysis of Cagliostro for THEM Anime forums. It's here if you're interested.
http://www.themanime.org/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7802
I even do a character by character comparison of the Streamline and Manga dubs. Plus a little bit of my own interpretation of the film.

Quote:
I ask that question every day, and I only encounter die hard anime fans who know who Lupin is.

Today I emailed Answerman a question regarding Lupin III's popularity in the West. I've had my questions featured before, so hopefully a response will be published for Friday's column.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:09 am Reply with quote
Lupin has its share of fans in the West, it's just never, and will never, become a cultural institution like it has in Japan. It's certainly not obscure to anime fandom here.
E-Master

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:42 am Reply with quote
MetalUpa1014 wrote:

It makes me wonder how they'd even release this series. A huge complete series set (preferably on Blu-ray) would be beast. These materials do exist since pretty much all the Lupin III stuff has been released on Blu-Ray in Japan.
That would wonderful to see, it be expensive to buy a set with all 155 episodes. But it be a set worth buying.

Quote:

You're not really missing much. Just like most other Streamline dubs, it's only passable. I really prefer the Manga dub because David Hayter is one of my favorite voice actors ever. If it was included, it'd be more for historical purposes. It's a miracle that Discotek was able to get all four dubs for Mamo, including the extremely rare Toho International Flights dub. It's great when these companies include all the dubs in one release for the die-hard collectors like me. Speaking of which, I'm looking forward to Funimation's Akira Special Edition set which comes out this week.
I have heard its inferior towards the manga dub, but I wouldn't mind watching that version if it ever gets included in a possible new release of Cagliostro. Just to see what anime fans had to watch when the movie was first release in the US. I did found the Streamline Mamo to be campy, but entertaining in its own right.

Quote:

Today I emailed Answerman a question regarding Lupin III's popularity in the West. I've had my questions featured before, so hopefully a response will be published for Friday's column.

I'll look forward to that if Lupin is included for the column. I won't deny that the franchise is under rated in America compared to Japan. If that's how the franchise will be treated then so be it. Cause it still has a cult following which I'm proud of being part of and luckly there's several Lupin titles in print for new fans to check out.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4