• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Attack on Titan Spinoff Causes Magazine's Print Run to Jump 500%

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Megiddo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:39 pm Reply with quote
I'm not saying it isn't outstanding. I'm just saying it's much lower than I would expect. A few hundred yen a month to read the latest chapter doesn't seem like much to me compared to all the other vastly more expensive merchandise that SnK fans buy, so I would have expected a significantly larger increase.

Also, I don't know where you got your numbers but Jojolion sells far below 800k, usually ending up at around 450k before dropping from the Oricon chart. And the 60k subscriptions of Ultra Jump gives it a 13% of Jojolion manga buyers to subscriptions of Ultra Jump. If you were to apply that 13% to a modest lowball estimate of 1.5 million manga buyers of SnK then this magazine print run would have 195,000 subscriptions, just to use your own example.

Last edited by Megiddo on Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:42 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Huh, that's actually rather small relative to Levi's popularity, given that a 500% increase is just under 70k, which is less than 5% of the overall readship of SnK in Japan.

You're comparing magazine circulation to tankoubon sales. While AoT may be selling more than a million copies in book form, Wikipedia says Bessatsu Shonen only has a circulation of 60,000.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:54 pm Reply with quote
I don't see any source listed for where the person got that figure so it's completely useless. Bessatsu Shounen isn't listed in the public JMPA magazine circulation database, so its numbers are pretty much unknown unless you or somebody else does have a source (and no, Wikipedia is not a source).
bigivel

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:36 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
I'm not saying it isn't outstanding. I'm just saying it's much lower than I would expect. A few hundred yen a month to read the latest chapter doesn't seem like much to me compared to all the other vastly more expensive merchandise that SnK fans buy, so I would have expected a significantly larger increase.

I have to ask you one thing. Would you spend 5 dollars(I don't know the real value, but is around that) for one chapter of Shingeki no Kyojin spin-off and a bunch of other chapters of other manga you don't read. Or would you wait and spend that exact same money(5 dollars) for Shingeki no Kyojin spin-off volume, that has 4 to 5 chapters of only that?
Normally only a person that is willing to try to read other titles would spend that money in the magazine, because it would be a enormous waste of money to buy the magazine and only read a chapter(basically only reading 30 to 50 pages of a 500 pages magazine).

Megiddo wrote:

Also, I don't know where you got your numbers but Jojolion sells far below 800k, usually ending up at around 450k before dropping from the Oricon chart. And the 60k subscriptions of Ultra Jump gives it a 13% of Jojolion manga buyers to subscriptions of Ultra Jump. If you were to apply that 13% to a modest lowball estimate of 1.5 million manga buyers of SnK then this magazine print run would have 195,000 subscriptions, just to use your own example.

Even if the Volume go out of the Oricon ranking it still sells. In average each volume of Jojolion sells 800k.

Who said that the readers of Ultra Jump read the Volumes of Jojolion or the other way around? Why do you make that assumption? You shouldn't!
What I said is that while for the magazine it matters the overall list of titles it have right now and the magazine past recognition, for the volumes it only matters the popularity of the title during is lifetime. They aren't directly related.
A good title can increase a magazine sales, but not by a linear estimate and normally not by much(at least not one as simple as, this title popularity is x so it probably will increase y percent of the magazine readership). It being a spin-off even makes things more complicated.

If it wasn't by the hyper hype of Shingeki right now, even if the volumes sold 4 Millions as One Piece(3 Millions if you count only around a year) it wouldn't have increased 200% the readership of the magazine. The fact that it increased 5 times what previous was, is something Mega outstanding.

Last edited by bigivel on Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Megiddo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:53 pm Reply with quote
bigivel wrote:
Megiddo wrote:

Even if the Volume go out of the Oricon ranking it still sells. In average each volume of Jojolion sells 800k.

I didn't mind correcting you the first time, but if you're going to repeat it then I have to ask you for a source.

My sources are here on ANN.
Volume 5 (likely to rank one more week)
Volume 4
Volumes 2 and 3
Volume 1
bigivel

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:21 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
bigivel wrote:
Megiddo wrote:

I didn't mind correcting you the first time, but if you're going to repeat it then I have to ask you for a source.

My sources are here on ANN.
Volume 5 (likely to rank one more week)
Volume 4
Volumes 2 and 3
Volume 1

Do you even read what I wrote? Or do I write so bad that is hard or impossible to comprehend? You're showing values before going out of oricon and 2012 sale numbers. Ok, by oricon and in a year Jojo volumes sell around 500k, are you happy?
The thing is:
1- Oricon sales aren't complete! There are stores that don't report sales to Oricon.
2- A volume don't stop selling after a year or after the first edition of the volume.

In 2012 Jojo sold in total 68,910,000 copies with 80 volumes that makes an average of 861,375 copies per volume. That can be seen in http://www.geocities.jp/wj_log/rank/, but the site in in Japanese or you can see it in this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rF3G2KPwJTo&list=WL544B2C455B32EDE4.
Other examples of this phenomenon(if I can call that) are:
-Naruto. Per year each volume sells around 1.2Millions, but has an average of 2.1 Millions per volume.
-Bleach. Per year each volume sells around 800k, but has an average of 1.4 Milllions per volume.
- One Piece. Per year each volume sells around 3 Millions, but has an average of 4.1 Millions per volume(and because of that they print around 4.05 Millions first edition volume copies ).

Basically why do you think Naruto makes values like 6.5 Millions per year, when 5 volumes * 1.2Millions is only 6 Millions? Or One Piece make values like 21 Millions and even 38 Millions(in 2011) when 4 volumes * 3 Millions is only 12 Millions?
The reason is that volumes of previous years are still selling!
Megiddo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:36 pm Reply with quote
Oh wow. You think Jojo sold 68 million copies in 2012?

No, no. That's the grand total sales of all Jojo volumes that are on record. So basically you have no source for your number that you just made up and think that somehow even after the JJBA anime ended (it being on TV would have been the peak for increased sales for Jojolion) you think that a Jojolion manga would earn the same average as a JJBA volume back when it was one of the biggest series in Jump?
bigivel

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:56 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Oh wow. You think Jojo sold 68 million copies in 2012?

No, no. That's the grand total sales of all Jojo volumes that are on record. So basically you have no source for your number that you just made up and think that somehow even after the JJBA anime ended (it being on TV would have been the peak for increased sales for Jojolion) you think that a Jojolion manga would earn the same average as a JJBA volume back when it was one of the biggest series in Jump?

Who said that Jojo sold 68 million copies in 2012? You are the one that is talking about the sales in a year, not me. When I said in 2012 I'm talking until 2012(probably my error. Sorry. but it was obvious that I didn't thought that it sold 80 volumes in only a year).

So you think that because Jojo isn't in Jump and don't have an anime it lost 360k readers? Wouldn't people start talking about that? Jojo volume sales is as strong as ever and the anime probably didn't had any significant increase in sales of the volumes. And do you really believe that because JoJo went to other magazine the sales of the volumes decreased? This shows you don't understand the dynamic of Magazine-Volume sales(Think a little. Would you stop buying the volumes of Jojo(or other title), that you've been buying just because isn't in Shonen Jump anymore?). The only thing that decreased significantly was the number of volumes per year, from 4-5 to 2-3.
danilo07

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:00 am Reply with quote
I think its a well known story that Jojos popularity plummeted when it was still Shonen Jump, when Stone Ocean was being released.That "trend" continued with Steel Ball Run,but now its back to selling really well with Jojolion.Also anime adaptation did actually increase the sales of manga.
simona.com

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:08 am Reply with quote
sorry I don't read the US version, I didn't know they used the wrong translation. my bad.
saurers123

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:54 am Reply with quote
simona.com wrote:
sorry I don't read the US version, I didn't know they used the wrong translation. my bad.

Wrong translation? Dude, they're like in contact with the author, and they have an approval with their translation. Do you have approval from the author? I'm sure you don't.

And besides, 兵長 in this manga is an abbreviation of 兵士長【へいしちょう】(go check the official manga site), which is not even an actual rank and so they have to put the correct rank in English as Captain. So pardon my wrongness 'cause it isn't actually wrong.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2