• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bandai to Provide Content to Amazon Unbox

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
schizosmurf

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 4:33 pm Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:
But you downloaded to see the program and that's what mattered. You have to pay to download from them, so downloading it from a free source counts as loss of income imo.

i see what your saying. and it's a more valid argument today then it was say a couple years ago when there was no legit way to download a series.

but in at least speakin for myself, i wouldn't pay to download an ep either. thats probably mostly due the fact that i know how to get them for free.

so my take would be that illegitimate digital distibution would negatively affect legitimate digital distribution, and not so much DVD purchases.

I guess its similar to the coming of age of digital distribution of music (itunes etc). Once people were had a legitimate way to aquire music online they weren't adverse to doing so, but at the same time illegitmate methods still are widely available.
Do you think video distribution will follow the same path? only time will tell i guess
Daemonblue

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 4:56 pm Reply with quote
In the end I don't think this will make that many more changes since, well, as was menitoned before it's actually cheaper to buy the boxset than to download the episodes. People who buy anime don't buy it to take up HD space, especially when the HD could die at any moment or need to be formatted, but rather buys something that is tangible. If anything, this will boost the sells of their boxsets, cause I don't see this as a true alternative to actually going out and buying or ordering a boxset or single DVD. I would say that this is just a lousy attempt to strike at fansubbers at best.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 5:22 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
ChrisBeveridge wrote:
ACtually, they didn't. There was a FAQ included with the release that ANN didn't post in the topic page.[/b]

You wouldn't happen to have a link for that FAQ, would you? I'd like to read more of it.

The FAQ section is at the end of this version of the press release. The info quoted by ChrisBeveridge is in the "About Bandai Channel Inc." portion of the press release before the FAQ section.

Maybe ANN can put the full release on its website.
seichan80

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 5:49 pm Reply with quote
anyone address why they skipped some episodes of escaflowne? and it also looks like a couple episodes of outlaw star are missing.

also, there's no japanese-language w/ subtitles option. (boo)

so for that price, it's not worth it.

they might try putting up 2-3 episodes up of a high number of series, so people can use this as a sampling resource for dvd purchasing since it seems buying the whole series on dvd currently is cheaper than d/ling from this new option.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 6:13 pm Reply with quote
It's like RezSav said. This thing has DRM issues and other problems. Read the CNET blog here and ZDNet blog here. The FAQ section is just as depressing.

Welcome to the age of DRM! Anime cry I'll just stick with DVDs. They are safer for my computer. Wink
Richard J.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 6:31 pm Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:
The FAQ section is at the end of this version of the press release. The info quoted by ChrisBeveridge is in the "About Bandai Channel Inc." portion of the press release before the FAQ section.

Maybe ANN can put the full release on its website.

Thank you very much!

Should be an interesting read. Don't know why, but I'm always fascinated by corporate strategy and logic. Sometimes it's easy to understand what they're thinking and sometimes you just scratch your head and go, "what are you guys thinking?"
Josh7289

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 6:38 pm Reply with quote
Too bad the Amazon Unbox sucks, from what I've read so far. As for the content and the move by Bandai itself, it seems a good way to test a series out quickly and easily instead of buying the first volume. Get an episode or two for $8, decide you like it, and buy the DVD collection. Again, though, Amazon Unbox is, so far, not the way to go. I'm still glad to see Bandai paving the way here, however. Kudos!

Now, about this entering the market with DVDs and illegal downloads, I think this will have some effects at least on DVD sales. As I said, if a person downloads an episode or two and likes a series, he or she could buy the DVDs. As for Bandai's legal downloads and fansubbers' illegal downloads, neither will affect the other. Free illegal distribution will continue. The people who will opt for the legal service will be the ones with some morals, respect, and inability to live with the fact that they stole something on their conscience.

In the end, this new service is just another way to distribute anime, and really, it can only benefit the industry, so there's no reason for something like this to not exist.
Zeiram

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 7:14 pm Reply with quote
unbox is horrid i heard, DRM stuffed, failed downloads, people asking for refunds after that. more than one i might add. also uninstalling it is nearly akin to uninstalling macafee
hikaru004

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 7:39 pm Reply with quote
Josh7289 wrote:
As for Bandai's legal downloads and fansubbers' illegal downloads, neither will affect the other. Free illegal distribution will continue. The people who will opt for the legal service will be the ones with some morals, respect, and inability to live with the fact that they stole something on their conscience.

In the end, this new service is just another way to distribute anime, and really, it can only benefit the industry, so there's no reason for something like this to not exist.

Americans usually go for the cheapest option. That's why we have thinpacks. In this case, free is still cheaper.

This is only going to work imo if they drive YouTube out of business or convert it like Napster and drive illegal downloads so far underground that normal internet users can't find it.

But first, they have to correct Unbox's issues.
schizosmurf

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:19 pm Reply with quote
Josh7289 wrote:
The people who will opt for the legal service will be the ones with some morals, respect, and inability to live with the fact that they stole something on their conscience.

Conscience? what is that? Razz

Josh7289 wrote:

i believe your 100% correct. While it may or may not catch on and become popular, it does provide a bit more exposure for anime, which is never a bad thing.
Nobuyuki

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 1:46 am Reply with quote
Josh7289 wrote:
Again, though, Amazon Unbox is, so far, not the way to go.

That's another reason I'm looking forward to tomorrow, to see if another, better way will appear.
One that's Mac-compatible, as well.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2