• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Boys to Men

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:37 pm Reply with quote
lizardking461 wrote:
Refreshing to open a comments sections on here, see the first post, and being able to directly empathise with it.

Why thank you. Always nice when other people share the same views as I do.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:52 pm Reply with quote
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:

On Daily Lives of High-School Boys:
I also wanted to ask what did you think of the shorts with the Literary girl segments by the river-side? Those where some of my favorite bits in the entire series just do how awkward the characters acted towards one another.

Those were some of my favorites in the series! I especially loved the first, one, though, when he meets her for the first time. I think the voice acting is so great in the series, and some of the deadpan lines that the actors deliver are perfect for the material. Those scenes had some great examples of that.
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:35 pm Reply with quote
Glad to see Daily Lives in Shelf-worthy. It's up there with Cromartie and Nichijou as one of my favourite comedies.

Also, are people really calling Guilty Crown boring? I admit that it's got a lot of character and story problems but not a boring anime does it make. In fact, some of the flaws only made it more fun to watch because of the sheer ridiculousness of it. Not to mention the godly animation and OST which did a great job of fuelling the ridiculous fun.

Apparently the production team (Who also did Attack on Titan among other shows) said in an interview that Guilty Crown was the most enjoyable experience they've had making an anime and I can see why. And even when you take away all the flashiness that makes the show so much fun it's still not nearly as offensively bad as something like Future Diary.

Although I agree with it being in the rental category. After all, fun doesn't automatically make a good show especially when some of that fun comes from how bad the show is. I was bored half to death watching some parts of FMA Brotherhood but it's still a much better show than Guilty Crown.
Davidnes

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:14 am Reply with quote
Not trying to be rude, but did anyone else notice the stacks of bootleg anime DVDs in "This week's shelves" pictures? It just kinda bothered me seeing that in the article. cdn01.animenewsnetwork.com/images/cms/shelf-life/68667/08.jpg
Echo_City

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:14 am Reply with quote
Davidnes wrote:
Not trying to be rude, but did anyone else notice the stacks of bootleg anime DVDs in "This week's shelves" pictures? It just kinda bothered me seeing that in the article. cdn01.animenewsnetwork.com/images/cms/shelf-life/68667/08.jpg
I was suspicious of those as well, but I wasn't willing to throw down the bootleg flag on em. Glad to see I wasn't the only one to post about it.

Somewhere, wherever he may be, Greg Ayres is raging lol.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:49 pm Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:
Davidnes wrote:
I was suspicious of those as well, but I wasn't willing to throw down the bootleg flag on em. Glad to see I wasn't the only one to post about it.

Somewhere, wherever he may be, Greg Ayres is raging lol.

Perhaps it should have been relegated to a private post. Looking at that picture, I can't tell what is a boot leg in there.
rydia251

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:05 am Reply with quote
Had to chuckle a bit at the Asobi ni Iku Yo bootleg set being a foot away from the Cat Planet Cuties box. Oh well, looks like he/she has a number of legit releases at least...
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:13 am Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
Davidnes wrote:
Not trying to be rude, but did anyone else notice the stacks of bootleg anime DVDs in "This week's shelves" pictures?

Perhaps it should have been relegated to a private post. Looking at that picture, I can't tell what is a boot leg in there.

Pretty much everything that is stacked up in the background is bootleg.
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:24 am Reply with quote
I once bought a bootleg Strike Witches set after finding it for $2 at some Asian DVD store in Sydney. It was a really poor quality TV rip with Chinese hardsubs. I also have a bootleg sub only copy of Arcade Gamer Fubuki but I dropped the show after the first episode
Red Fox of Fire

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:39 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
TarsTarkas wrote:
Davidnes wrote:
Not trying to be rude, but did anyone else notice the stacks of bootleg anime DVDs in "This week's shelves" pictures?

Out of curiosity, how can you tell what is and is not a bootleg?
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:03 pm Reply with quote
Red Fox of Fire wrote:
Megiddo wrote:
TarsTarkas wrote:
Davidnes wrote:

By looking at it? I don't mean to sound condescending, but when you know what an official release looks like, bootlegs stand out like high beams. You can tell from how they have the classic "1-13end" and no sign of the official solicitors anywhere on them. Even foreign releases have the name of the licensor on the spine. Hell, some of them even have th names of infamous bootleggers instead of official companies like how Ah My Goddess and Vampire Knight have the LF logo.

Even if you don't have the keen for all that, just look at this picture of the official regular edition for Highschool DxD from the reliable Righstuf compared to the one in this picture.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:41 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
Red Fox of Fire wrote:
Megiddo wrote:
TarsTarkas wrote:
Davidnes wrote:

By looking at it? I don't mean to sound condescending, but when you know what an official release looks like, bootlegs stand out like high beams. You can tell from how they have the classic "1-13end" and no sign of the official solicitors anywhere on them. Even foreign releases have the name of the licensor on the spine. Hell, some of them even have th names of infamous bootleggers instead of official companies like how Ah My Goddess and Vampire Knight have the LF logo.

Even if you don't have the keen for all that, just look at this picture of the official regular edition for Highschool DxD from the reliable Righstuf compared to the one in this picture.

Still, only those who are knowledgeable about such things would really know. He may have figured it out after the fact, but then it is too late. Don't see any valid reason to blast him for having bootleg DVD's.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:52 pm Reply with quote
...Nobody is blasting him? It was pointed out that were bootlegs, you didn't see them, they were shown to you, the method behind deciphering how they were boots were asked about, I answered that question.

That said, I am very against the idea of Shelf Life highlighting a collection with bootlegs, let alone one with so many of them. Like, there is such an absurd amount of blatant bootlegs in those images that I would think Zac or Bamboo would've caught it. Maybe if the guy had written in his blurb about how we was naive in his early days of buying, then it'd be kind of a teaching tool moment, but he didn't. Seems counterproductive to have pictures of a collection littered with illegal releases in a column that highlights official ones.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Red Fox of Fire

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:26 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:

Thanks for the answer, but I'm a person who doesn't own a ton of anime and I did not immediately know what to look for, so "just looking at it" didn't do me much good. That's why I asked. And I was assuming the people who accused these of being bootlegs weren't just comparing pictures of every official release with every set the guy has, either.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3