• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Kill la Kill Episodes 1-6 Streaming

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
suprememoonempress

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:03 pm Reply with quote
I find it hard to like anime heroines now days because I fell like they are used for fan service shows like this and fairy tail have reduced anime females into fan service and leave the over the top battles to the guys. I think it is outrageous and rather watch stuff like Sailor Moon or Utena.
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:16 pm Reply with quote
Sylpher3 wrote:
Currently, the themes are just there to create more action, hilarity, fanservice for a fun superficial show that relies on comedy and emphasizes over-the-topness, not to provide a social commentary on power structures, status or feminism in my opinion.

I do think the show has a lot more depth than it may seem to on the surface. Besides all the pop-culture and anime references in the show, there are a few fairly significant historical references as well. For one, the name of the school in Kill la Kill is "Honnō-ji Academy" --- for history students, the Honnō-ji Incident refers to the forced suicide of Oda Nobunaga, who had been going on a quest to consolidate centralized power in Japan under his authority, not unlike the central antagonist of the series Satsuki Kiryuin. There are other references to the Honnō-ji Incident, such as the Houjou and Imagawa clans in episode 8, as well as Satsuki's name, whose kanji means "the 5th month", mentioned in a famous quote by Akechi Mitsuhide (the general who forced the suicide on Nobunaga), referring to the month that the Honnō-ji Incident occurred.

And actually, the concept of fascism related to this historical event and how it relates to the theme of Satsuki's conquest plays out in a number of ways in the series, such as the pyramid of capitalism and its parallels with the structure of Tokyo Bay (the setting of Kill la Kill), as well as Satsuki's various references to the likes of Animal Farm and 1984 ("pigs in human clothing", as well as her use of doublethink), which also help to enforce the parallels. In that respect, looking back it would seem the class lectures with professor Mikisugi discussing the Nazi rise to power and fascism were probably also made as references to the over-arching thematics of the show. The parallel with clothing is also somewhat appropriate in that respect, with the discussions of the historical military significance of the sailor and army uniforms that Japanese students traditionally wear being mentioned in the show; known as gaku seifuku (traditional Japanese school uniforms), it's paralleled with the goku seifuku uniforms in KlK, both sets of words using the word "seifuku", which happens to be a homonym for "conquest" in Japanese --- there's also the Japanese punnery of fashion (ファッション) and fascism (ファッショ) being the same word minus a character as another parallel in the show's use of clothes and themes of conquest (I think these points were mentioned in an interview with Kazuki Nakashima, the series composition and script writer).

There's a lot more depth to the show than all the action and zany humor may suggest on the surface, which I assume will continue to be the case as the series presses onward.

Last edited by Kikaioh on Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:34 pm; edited 2 times in total
Redcrimson

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:22 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
At first, I was amused that this thread already hit over a hundred posts but it's the same thing from the main one; taking this silly series seriously in all the wrong points and all the wrong ways.

The way I watch Chinese cartoons is the best, and anyone else who doesn't do it exactly like me is wrong!

Quote:

Seriously, it's a cartoon drawn by men for other men. It's not the objectification of women, it's the objectification of an object.

Of all the inane fanservice defense arguments...

If the characters are just objects, and don't represent people, then why sexualize them at all? In order for fanservice to function, the audience has to on some level accept that the characters are something beyond 2D human-shaped renderings. According to your logic, Ryuko shouldn't be any more arousing then Gamagoori's car.
ZodiacBeast

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:30 pm Reply with quote
Kikaioh wrote:
Sylpher3 wrote:
Currently, the themes are just there to create more action, hilarity, fanservice for a fun superficial show that relies on comedy and emphasizes over-the-topness, not to provide a social commentary on power structures, status or feminism in my opinion.

I do think the show has a lot more depth than it may seem to on the surface. Besides all the pop-culture and anime references in the show, there are a few fairly significant historical references as well. For one, the name of the school in Kill la Kill is "Honnō-ji Academy" --- for history students, the Honnō-ji Incident refers to the forced suicide of Oda Nobunaga, who had been going on a quest to consolidate centralized power in Japan under his authority, not unlike the central antagonist of the series Satsuki Kiryuin. There are other references to the Honnō-ji Incident, such as the Houjou and Imagawa clans in episode 8, as well as Satsuki's name, whose kanji means "the 5th month", mentioned in a famous quote by Akechi Mitsuhide (the general who forced the suicide on Nobunaga), referring to the month that the Honnō-ji Incident occurred.

And actually, the concept of fascism related to this historical event and how it relates to the theme of Satsuki's conquest plays out in a number of ways in the series, such as the pyramid of capitalism and its parallels with the structure of Tokyo Bay (the setting of Kill la Kill), as well as Satsuki's various references to the likes of Animal Farm and 1984 ("pigs in human clothing", as well as her use of doublethink), which also help to enforce the parallels. In that respect, looking back it would seem the class lectures with professor Mikisugi discussing the Nazi rise to power and fascism were probably also made as references to the over-arching thematics of the show. The parallel with clothing is also somewhat appropriate in that respect, with the discussions of the historical military significance of the sailor and army uniforms that Japanese students traditionally wear, as well as the Japanese punnery of fashion (ファッション) and fascism (ファッショ) being the same word minus a character.

There's a lot more depth to the show than all the action and zany humor may suggest on the surface, which I assume will continue to be the case as the series presses onward.

So there is actual depth to some of the ideas in this show. And no, I don't mean that every little detail is some deep insight into how the universe works.

ChibiKangaroo wrote:
As I said earlier, I think the show is fun to a certain degree, but there are serious flaws and it just doesn't live up to the amount of hype some people are giving it.

I already know that the animation isn't the best, and of course about the fanservice, objectifying or not. What are the other flaws that you have seen in the show so far?
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:19 pm Reply with quote
ZodiacBeast wrote:

ChibiKangaroo wrote:
As I said earlier, I think the show is fun to a certain degree, but there are serious flaws and it just doesn't live up to the amount of hype some people are giving it.

I already know that the animation isn't the best, and of course about the fanservice, objectifying or not. What are the other flaws that you have seen in the show so far?

Weak plot execution

Soulless, tool-like characters such as Mako's family

Too much use of Mako as comedic relief when episode 7 showed that she could have a lot more power and depth to her if the writers used her better

Boss/monster of the week type pacing

The only interesting enemy with any kind of depth to her is Satsuki, who is mostly sidetracked at this point in the story. Rather than a Prof. Moriarty type villain who is constantly and cleverly putting our hero in danger or setting things in motion, she is much more passive and just kind of sits back while her minions run the show. I still find her as a very interesting character since we have been introduced to some depth with her, but she is still mostly on the back bench

The vast majority of the other characters at the school are faceless and, like Mako's family, soulless. They only exist to be used here or there as a vehicle to maintain the monster truck rally type brawling environment of the school, but they have no purpose or value other than that

The big bad semi-villain Goku hunter guy who showed up, took out a bunch of people, and then rode off into the sunset was a total waste. He had virtually no depth to him. Was just a temporary threat meant to force us to worry about Ryuko and Senketsu

Junketsu, although intriguing conceptually, has not received any real development at all. I see this as a negative as well, as it could have allowed us to become more emotionally invested in Satsuki's story as well.

I could go on and on but i'll just stop here to allow for some digestion Smile
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:58 pm Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
DuskyPredator wrote:
Could it be that KlK seems so far out that we are more willing to accept it having things we don't really like.

I think Kill la Kill has been getting a MAJOR pass by many people, possibly because the first episode was so over-the-top exciting and in your face with it's fanservice, action and art, that people invested themselves in the show to an extent where they cannot pull back at this point. Kill la Kill has been touted as the "BIG THING" this season more than once by some, and so I think it is getting very gentle treatment now that some of the flaws are becoming quite obvious. The hype of this show was reaching Attack on Titan levels, but it is no where near as good as Attack on Titan. But like I said, people are probably afraid to pull back a bit and seriously look at this show in a critical manner after pumping it up so high.

Another, "I don't know why everyone likes this show, but they are all wrong". Same thing we all heard for PMMM.

All shows have flaws, no matter how good they are. If a show grabs your attention and doesn't let you go, then it is a success.

I like this show, because it reminds me why I watch anime. I don't think it is the creme de la creme, but it is interesting and more importantly, it is entertaining.

I don't watch anime to rip it apart into its component pieces and then digest it looking for hidden social messages.

This is not all directed at you ChibiKangaroo, but you did do the classic cry.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:59 pm Reply with quote
Don't mind me, playing Devil's Advocate here. Or given that I'm defending it, is that Angel's Advocate?

If I didn't address a point you made that means I agree with it and/or couldn't find a worthy rebuttal.

ChibiKangaroo wrote:
Weak plot execution

A show like this doesn't need much of a plot. At least not yet. Hopefully the second half will have something more substantial, like Satsuki's mother for example. Right now the show has all the plot it needs.

ChibiKangaroo wrote:
Boss/monster of the week type pacing

This is not necessarily a bad thing, especially in the early episodes of a show. It can serve to highlight different characters and subtly build up the world and its rules.

ChibiKangaroo wrote:
The vast majority of the other characters at the school are faceless and, like Mako's family, soulless. They only exist to be used here or there as a vehicle to maintain the monster truck rally type brawling environment of the school, but they have no purpose or value other than that

It's clear the show is about the main characters and their struggles and they're the people the writers want to focus on. Most shows set in schools sideline the student body anyway to follow a few key characters. Like with PSG, Kill la Kill draws the background characters as clones in order to comically show that they are unimportant.

ChibiKangaroo wrote:
The big bad semi-villain Goku hunter guy who showed up, took out a bunch of people, and then rode off into the sunset was a total waste. He had virtually no depth to him. Was just a temporary threat meant to force us to worry about Ryuko and Senketsu

I genuinely disagree. He expanded on the world by highlighting the Nudist Beach organisation, he gave hints as to the backstory of the teacher, and he inadvertently helped bring Ryouko and Senketsu closer together. He was also really cool. I'll imagine that we'll see him again.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 2:56 pm Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:

Uhh...I mean, I hate to sound rude (yes yes, I know) but...did you even actually pay attention to the episode?

That episode was perhaps the most crucial thus far to expanding the actual overarching plot of the series.

The only one that comes close is probably episode 3.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 3:28 pm Reply with quote
suprememoonempress wrote:
I find it hard to like anime heroines now days because I fell like they are used for fan service shows like this and fairy tail have reduced anime females into fan service and leave the over the top battles to the guys. I think it is outrageous and rather watch stuff like Sailor Moon or Utena.

If anything at all, I feel like you just proved objectification and sexual themes do not diminish female characters. People often cite Sailor Moon as being very sexist because the senshi tramp around in miniskirts and flash their panties just as much as people hail them as iconic female heroines. You're not going to please everyone out there, and I think more people need to accept this when it comes to these topics. If you find Ryuko demeaned and objectified then you're fully free to, but the people who find her empowered are just as valid. It's not as if there's any objectivity to this subject given it's based entirely around personal beliefs.

- Stuart Smith
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 3:52 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
What I do find really skeevy though is the show's obsession with embarrassment. Especially early on, the show absolutely wallows in Ryuuko's humiliation at being forced to wear the uniform (and rape jokes/allusions. Don't forget those). That's just creepy to me. I mean, guys like watching Ryuuko's boobs bounce around in her skimpy outfit? Nothing unreasonable about that. But guys who like seeing a strong female character embarrassed and humiliated... Yeah, we've definitely wandered into creepy misogynist territory here. And at the very least, even if one doesn't believe the embarrassment to be fetishized, it still really puts me off. I just don't like watching a strong female character noticeably humiliated because she's forced to wear a revealing fanservice getup. At that point it just makes me feel really bad for her.

Fetishizinf humiliation is not misogynistic, and I know many girls into BDSM who would be very angry at you stating such a thing. Also I highly doubt the show actually is doing such a thing.

Other than that I mostly agree with you.
Sylpher3

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:11 pm Reply with quote
Kikaioh wrote:

And actually, the concept of fascism related to this historical event and how it relates to the theme of Satsuki's conquest plays out in a number of ways in the series, such as the pyramid of capitalism and its parallels with the structure of Tokyo Bay (the setting of Kill la Kill), as well as Satsuki's various references to the likes of Animal Farm and 1984 ("pigs in human clothing", as well as her use of doublethink), which also help to enforce the parallels. In that respect, looking back it would seem the class lectures with professor Mikisugi discussing the Nazi rise to power and fascism were probably also made as references to the over-arching thematics of the show. The parallel with clothing is also somewhat appropriate in that respect, with the discussions of the historical military significance of the sailor and army uniforms that Japanese students traditionally wear being mentioned in the show; known as gaku seifuku (traditional Japanese school uniforms), it's paralleled with the goku seifuku uniforms in KlK, both sets of words using the word "seifuku", which happens to be a homonym for "conquest" in Japanese --- there's also the Japanese punnery of fashion (ファッション) and fascism (ファッショ) being the same word minus a character as another parallel in the show's use of clothes and themes of conquest (I think these points were mentioned in an interview with Kazuki Nakashima, the series composition and script writer).

Thanks for the information, I honestly didn’t know the interesting backgrounds of these references.
But still, what’s the point of all of this and why should I as a viewer appreciate it? Sure, the references are cleverly made but as of now, it’s still a matter of themes and references lying loose from each other without a central message or connection (well at least I haven’t noticed it) blending it together into something significant. It’s probably premature to draw a conclusion, but I don’t see how these deeper elements contribute to a meaningful narrative. I’ll just wait and see for now.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:13 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
ChibiKangaroo wrote:

Uhh...I mean, I hate to sound rude (yes yes, I know) but...did you even actually pay attention to the episode?

That episode was perhaps the most crucial thus far to expanding the actual overarching plot of the series.

The only one that comes close is probably episode 3.

This response is for both you and Dtm (I might respond to some of his other comments later but I have to go). What you are talking about is the value of the overarching plot involving the Nudsit Beach organization. You are not talking about the "Cool Dude" guy as a character. Is Nudist Beach an important point for the plot? Yes. However, they could have introduced that plot point entirely using just the sexy homeroom teacher guy and "Cool Dude" could have not appeared at all and we would have had the exact same outcome.

If "Cool Dude" had stuck around for a few episodes of development, maybe there would have been some value in him showing up like that. However, they really achieved nothing for him as an individual character other than have him be a cool badass. This school already has like 100 cool badasses. I still think he, personally, doesn't add anything. Like I said, I agree that Nudist Beach adds something, but he was totally unnecessary for that and right now I just see him as an archetype, not a character of any depth. (Which, unfortunately, is true for MANY "characters" in this show.)
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:32 pm Reply with quote
If you assume that he's never going to show up again, sure, you'd be right.

Thats a really silly assumption to be making, however.
Leebo

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 6:02 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, how much development can you even expect in one episode? They never said he wasn't going to show up again.
Ghost_Wheel

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:09 pm Reply with quote
My take on Kill la Kill:

I was excited to see a show animated in that style, and I would have been excited to see either a compelling story or a ton of over the top action and energy. I stuck with it for a few episodes, and I figured that it wasn't going in a direction I would end up liking, either from an animation perspective or a story perspective. Do I think that Kill la Kill is bad? Well, I don't really think there's an objective basis which I could even in theory use to say that. And even if I could, I wouldn't want to. I know that the humor in the show strikes the right note with a lot of people. It's clearly well done for a certain target audience (considering that a lot of them have voiced their opinions), and that's the nature of comedy; some people like the jokes, for some, they fall flat.

Am I mad that this review gave it slightly higher marks than I would have? No. People have the ability to read a review and understand exactly how useful it is to them. They understand any tastes the reviewer might have, read their reasons for marking a show a certain way, and decide whether to watch it. After that, the review can offer a new perspective, as if you're having a discussion with the reviewer. But that too is a personal thing, and a review is still useful even though it isn't objective truth. This is why I appreciate the fact that reviewers put time into crafting well thought out presentations of their analysis.

There isn't really an objective definition of success either; for different creators, the relative importance of the viewpoint of the critics, the fanbase's general opinion (if you can even get this), or whether the show sells well is also different. It's not really useful to try and craft an objective metric amalgamating these things either. Whether or not a show is "successful" has a hand in determining what gets made in the future, but your actions don't change after any attempt to analyze history. You support the stuff you like and hope it feeds forward into the creation of more interesting fiction.

Do I find Kill la Kill offensive, or think that its existence is promoting a malicious culture? Well, comedy can have a tremendous amount of power. I think one of the prime examples of this is in the gay rights movement. In my opinion, when a battle like that is won, it's not accompanied by bombast and fanfare (though sweeping policies, rallies, declarations, and movements are often an effective way to fight the battle). The real victory is when it dies quietly, when the detractors aren't given attention anymore because the culture has changed so that such thinking isn't even worth talking about. It happens when someone makes a bigoted statement or joke, and the people around pause for maybe a second in uncomfortable silence, then move on with their lives in exactly the same way as before, not giving the guy any validation. Comedy throughout the years has helped us move into this era and helped cement the culture that we have today. An excellent passive joke can be very effective at highlighting the ridiculous extrapolations caused by having certain assumptions. A joke written by the wrong kind of person can also confirm a bias many people have, and work against a movement which could be beneficial from our perspective.

That said, I don't think Kill la Kill is working to promote any kind of malicious culture. Let's take the peeping jokes or the assumption of a leering male gaze from the students during the fight scenes as an example. While I'm not happy that the joke has as high a priority as it does (it finds its way into just about every scene), because I find it a stupid and rather unfunny joke, I don't think it's inherently bad. One could interpret it as promoting the "boys will be boys" attitude which can cause a lot of problems, or one could interpret it as something which exposes the stupidity of that kind of attitude the aforementioned use of comedy to affect culture. In the end it comes down to Poe's law for me: the joke is so dumb that its nontrivial to discern whether it's an effective satire or simply genuine, expressing a sentiment that you're supposed to be able to relate to. In a case like that, I don't really think it can affect culture in a meaningful way because it's so low impact and the message ends up being mixed when taken holistically. Any person has the right their own emotions, however. They can feel as mad, as offended, or as complacent and happy as they like over Kill la Kill and they shouldn't be faulted for that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 10 of 12