• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: New Beyblade Spinning Tops Can Be Remote-Controlled

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kireblue

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:08 pm Reply with quote
I've been waiting for this for so long.
Jessica Hart

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:31 pm Reply with quote
Nothing will replace my Basalt Horogium Confused

Unless it's an RC Basalt Horogium
Jaymie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:32 pm Reply with quote
When I was a kid we pulled on a cord to watch Beyblades spin in random directions for about fifteen seconds. Crying or Very sad
WeirDiE_InC

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:38 pm Reply with quote
Surprised that they didn't come up with these sooner.
Although now it feels as though you can throw any physical skill possibly involved with beyblading completely out the window.
cohenmarioman

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:51 pm Reply with quote
To be honest, only now is it a game worth playing. Before it was pretty much just dumb luck with a few additives to your favor, but now you can actually do something. I like it.

Thing is, exactly how would backwards compatibility work? Beyblade has no backwards compatibility of metal to its plastic counterparts, and none with the metal to the remote metal/plastic.
Emerje

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:51 pm Reply with quote
WeirDiE_InC wrote:

I'm sure they did, this is probably just an example of waiting for the technology to catch up with the concept in a way that's affordable for kids.

(BTW, why does the image credit "Tomy" when the article has the proper "Takara Tomy"? Tomy wasn't even the original creator, Takara was. I know Tomy technically refers to the company in English, but even then Hasbro has the US rights.)

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
WeirDiE_InC

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:11 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
(BTW, why does the image credit "Tomy" when the article has the proper "Takara Tomy"? Tomy wasn't even the original creator, Takara was. I know Tomy technically refers to the company in English, but even then Hasbro has the US rights.)

Tomy was the bigger part of the company, or it was the one that was the more recognizable brand internationally.
CannedJam

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:26 pm Reply with quote
Gah! 9-10 years ago I wasn't an 18 year-old thinking about school. I wish we had these right off the bat lol. Then the schoolyard battles would have been decided by skill Very Happy
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:32 pm Reply with quote
Call me when they find a way to put a dragon in them.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Emerje

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:38 pm Reply with quote
WeirDiE_InC wrote:
Emerje wrote:

Tomy was the bigger part of the company, or it was the one that was the more recognizable brand internationally.

Yeah, I know, I even pointed it out in the post. The question was why they used one version in one place and the other in the other place. Seems like Tomy should only be used alone when talking about a product they release here. Since this is about a product being sold in Japan and Hasbro has the US license it seems like the image should be credited to Takara Tomy. I'm just curious if my reasoning was wrong, I wasn't trying to make a correction.

Emerje
Primus

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:23 pm Reply with quote
WeirDiE_InC wrote:

They did back in 2003:

They didn't work very well.

Though Hasbro appears to be launching a line of Remote Control Metal Fight/Metal Fusion Beyblades this fall (announced at Toyfair way back when):

cohenmarioman wrote:
To be honest, only now is it a game worth playing. Before it was pretty much just dumb luck with a few additives to your favor, but now you can actually do something. I like it.

Thing is, exactly how would backwards compatibility work? Beyblade has no backwards compatibility of metal to its plastic counterparts, and none with the metal to the remote metal/plastic.

The game never really was about luck. It was always about customization skill, and launching technique. People brush off the game's competitive aspect, but it does have a very well defined community of those who care about making a deep game. There is luck in the game, but it's just a bit more than a trading card game, where you need to draw the right cards. There's a tonne you can do beforehand to put yourself at an advantage.

As for compatibility, these tops, I wouldn't hold my breathe for more than compatibility with just tips, and maybe the Clear Wheels, and Wheel.

This is a gimmick line that I doubt will ever replace the shooter based line.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:44 pm Reply with quote
Kids have lost the skill to spin a top themselves - without any machination!

My ol' wooden top with concrete nail spun around a rope would break these plastic ones! Laughing
Banken

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:58 am Reply with quote
It's still a retarded anime about playing with tops designed to sell toys to the only people who really get into things like this... 10 year-olds.

Actually, that's an insult to 10 year-olds. Where I come from ten year-olds play baseball.
cohenmarioman

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:24 am Reply with quote
Hold up there dude, trading cards obviously aren;t all luck either then. They involve tons of customization in the deck and synergy, as well as the important aspects of repeatability to pull of the winning combos.
Primus

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:30 am Reply with quote
cohenmarioman wrote:
Hold up there dude, trading cards obviously aren;t all luck either then. They involve tons of customization in the deck and synergy, as well as the important aspects of repeatability to pull of the winning combos.

I never said that. I mentioned that there's only a bit more luck than that required in a card game. I just took issue with the idea that Beyblade never had a competitive angle until some silly gimmick tops emerged, because that's not right. Heck, from what it looks like, the normal line appears to have more competitiveness thanks to customization.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2