• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Survey: ANN 5.0

Goto page Previous  

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Leebo

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 3:35 pm Reply with quote
TheSeventhSense wrote:
Someone mentioned a Firefox plugin where you block certain parts of the website from showing up on page 4 or so.

I see... not sure why it would be necessary though.

To me, the text only list with slightly reduced font size is almost the same as the old home page for any practical purpose.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 6:18 pm Reply with quote
Hm, was this here yesterday? Except for the front page, on the right column, you can click a - to hide the images for each article, and you can also click an arrow to put the sidebar at the bottom of the page instead of on the right. That's kinda neat. I've only turned off the images since they take up a lot of space and stretch a page if the page isn't long.
LUNI_TUNZ

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:12 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
^
Different skins can be found under My ANN -> Change skin. It is possible to get rid of the white.

Ah, much better.

Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
dtm42 wrote:
^
Different skins can be found under My ANN -> Change skin. It is possible to get rid of the white.

I did that, but the changes don't stick. Still bugs that need to be worked out.

click the button that says "Use this skin for all pages".
Melicans

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:19 pm Reply with quote
LUNI_TUNZ wrote:

Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
dtm42 wrote:
^

I did that, but the changes don't stick. Still bugs that need to be worked out.

click the button that says "Use this skin for all pages".

Even after clicking that, if you exit your browser or log out the change needs to be done again the next time you visit.
BeanBandit

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:31 pm Reply with quote
Love the new design, especially since I found out how to change the layouts.

Just wish you guys would redesign the forums...
Shiratori1

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:19 am Reply with quote
Not much I can say that hasn't been said already about this horrible update, so I'll keep it short:

1. Default home page format is terrible

2. Too much white (empty space)

3. Takes up too much space

4. Too many steps to "customize" site to make it tolerable (don't feel like I should have to do that).

5. Prefer 4.0

At the end of the day, I feel that this update was done simply to pander to mobile users (which is incredibly unfortunate and ridiculous). I will definitely be spending less time on the site until the interface is at least somewhat closer to 4.0. Ultimately, the owners of ANN, as well as the individual(s) who designed this mess should have heeded the wise words of DJ Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince:

"......if it ain't broke then don't try to fix it." Rolling Eyes [/i]
Urizithar

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:21 am Reply with quote
GokuMew2 wrote:
Hm, was this here yesterday? Except for the front page, on the right column, you can click a - to hide the images for each article, and you can also click an arrow to put the sidebar at the bottom of the page instead of on the right. That's kinda neat. I've only turned off the images since they take up a lot of space and stretch a page if the page isn't long.

Not really. If I don't need that part why to keep it at the bottom instead of closing it? It takes extra time to load it when I don't even use it.
Wrangler

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:15 am Reply with quote
I can understand ANN trying to be more friendly towards the touch-screen generation of computers out there.

But this setup is killing my browser, frankly i don't like it. Its confusing and frankly gets around what i want to see: The list of headlines.
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:29 am Reply with quote
Wrangler wrote:
I can understand ANN trying to be more friendly towards the touch-screen generation of computers out there.

But this setup is killing my browser, frankly i don't like it. Its confusing and frankly gets around what i want to see: The list of headlines.

The redesign is shitty as hell. A real pity and a great loss in usability.
That said, I've just about blocked everything on the site except the forums. Even the annoying bar that contains the links to the forums, encyclopedia etc... is blocked. It kept opening itself every time I scrolled the forum pages up. To much hassle, I just blocked it once and for all. And even though the forum as a result ends being less useful than before it is still greater than what the ANN cast did with the redisgn.
I wish web developers would understand that mobile is not desktop and that you cannot target the 2 with the same layout. It seems even "famous" players don't understand this simple rule so why should it surprise me that smaller players don't as well ?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 11 of 11