• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Artist Claims Spike Lee's Oldboy Poster Designs Came From Him

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TokyoGetter

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 12:06 pm Reply with quote
Lee's response:

"I Never Heard Of This Guy Juan Luis Garcia,If He Has A Beef It's Not With Me.I Did Not Hire Him,Do Not Know Him.Cheap Trick Writing To Me.YO"

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2013/nov/29/spike-lee-oldboy-poster-copyright-twitter

Deplorable.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 5:33 pm Reply with quote
TokyoGetter: Whether or not you like the response, that could still be true.
partially

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:03 pm Reply with quote
I am actually completely with Lee here. Even if the guy was legitimately ripped off, the course of action he has taken is completely wrong. Open letters are a last resort after other avenues fail. E.g. Privately messaging Lee even. The fact that Lee has never heard of the guy speaks to the fact that no such effort was made. Instead by using an open letter the artist is essentially holding the film to ransom, and is not simply trying to right a wrong, but profit as much as possible by getting the public and publicity on his side. He is trying to rip Lee off just as much as the supposed media company tried to rip him off... A deplorable course of action. Now Lee's wording could certainly do with a dose of political correctness, he is not helping his side. But I agree with his sentiment.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1