• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Name Your Collection

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:27 pm Reply with quote
You name your car, you name your boat, you name your farm animals that you're just going to eat later on, but do you name your collection? If you don't have a name for it, think of one now. It can based on contents, expense, size, age, origin of releases (imports), whatever your little heart feels is right.

Until a recent exchange with Blood-, the thought never even ran through my mind, but I felt like I should name it. My collection is my pride and joy, kind of like a retiree's RV. So, after some running through potential names based on various calculations, I believe I found the perfect name:

The Oh Zone.

I decided on The Oh Zone because I imagine any non-fan walking into my room that is dedicated to nothing but anime would be, "Oh my God!". Hell, I imagine even some fans would have similar reactions. Because you see, my collection isn't just a really big shelf the size of a wall, it's an entire room. So when you walk through that door, it's just wall to wall anime stuffs. Figures, discs, postcards, wall scrolls, posters, even the backdrop for my TV is a non-stop slide show of anime wallpapers.

Other names I considered were The Black Hole and The Twilight Zone. After spinning around in my chair looking at it all, I felt the name needed to capture the area of of the space it takes up. My collection isn't really huge quantity-wise (at least compared to other hardcore collectors), but it sure as hell takes up room. And so I started running off names based on holes and zones and came across Ozone and decided to turn that into Oh Zone when I thought of reactions from others.

So yea, names, what you got, guys? If you can't think of one, lets get some teamwork going on to give your collection the name it deserves.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sohma_Curse

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:57 pm Reply with quote
zawa113

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:59 pm Reply with quote
I don't really have a name for the collection as a whole, but I myself am "The Curator" of it. I actually don't name a lot of things, I jokingly said at work that I planned to name my PS3 that I plan to get Black Friday and my co-workers were like "seriously?" "....no"

That said, I still have names for individual shelving units to help me find things easier. Manga has Main 1, Main 2, Side, Annex, Bedside, Oversized, Ongoing normal size, Ongoing oversize, and SOS (Shelf of Sorrow). Anime has Main (which is a completely different shelf from the manga main, which I put artboxes on top of), Arboxes, and movies (I can fit all my anime on fewer shelves, lucky me!)
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:42 pm Reply with quote
Cool thread idea!

First, to describe the current state of my collection, both with respect to general content and mode of display.

My collection is overwhelmingly anime DVDs with a smattering of Blu-ray titles. I have a modest amount of manga, almost 100 figures (most of which are buxom temptresses) several anime T-shirts, about 5 anime scrolls and then some odds and ends (fridge magnets, keychains, CDs, etc).

My anime collection is fairly eclectic in that it spans a number of different genres.

Unlike TKoH's lovingly and well-constructed display space, my own is an absolute shambles. I've got DVDs in bookshelves, rammed into my TV cabinent, packed away in boxes and bags, heaped on the floor and even on one end of my futon. It's an embarrassing and inelegant clutter. My figures are placed with no particular design strategy where ever they can fit. One of my wallscrolls is hanging over an already existing picture ... actually I've done that twice. Let's just say the feng shui of my place is seriously effed up. Eek.

Okay, so what name do I fashion from this abundance and chaos? I give you the...

Eeklection! Eek + eclectic + collection.

Runners up:

Fan Sway (a play on feng shui)

The Space Goblin (a nod to the fact that a lot of my titles are SF/mecha and my collection is indeed gobblin' up a lot of space).

S'more Gas Borg - my collection definitely has the flatulent air of a mindless, cobbled together collective that wants to assimilate everything in its path.
st_owly

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:48 pm Reply with quote
My housemate describes my collection as that of a mad woman. I'm inclined to agree. Moving house with over 1000 books in tow isn't fun. But I like to think of it as a testament to my lonely teenage years.
RightStufSpecialsMinion
Company Representative

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:06 pm Reply with quote
The Horde. That way, whenever I buy something else to add to it at work, I can yell "For the horde!" and it makes perfect sense and doesn't get me any blank stares at all, nope.

Also, since I ran out of bookcases long ago I can lounge on the floor piles of books and DVDs and pretend I am a dragon.

TMI?
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:10 pm Reply with quote
Oooo, The Horde is a good one! Do you hoard the Horde?
RightStufSpecialsMinion
Company Representative

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:16 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Oooo, The Horde is a good one! Do you hoard the Horde?

It is... precious to me.
Ortensia1980

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:20 pm Reply with quote
Would it be too easy if I'd just call it "My Happy Place"? Because it is and every new addition to it just makes me happier. I am genuinely beyond saving at this point.

Though other people might be more inclined to call it the Nerd Zone or something like that. I get it though. It can be quite shocking to the uninitiated.
varmintx

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:47 pm Reply with quote
My family and friends used to call it their own Blockbuster (since they would borrow so much). I guess that name doesn't quite work anymore.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:07 pm Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
I don't really have a name for the collection as a whole

MangaDex. Gotta read 'em all!

Blood, I really think you should stick with Pervert Nation. It's so apt for both your collection and you.

Also, Horde really is amazing, Minion. I wish I had taken into account a cool tag line when thinking of a name. And, just throwing it out there in case you wanna grab Shawne's ears, but For the Hoard on the front, TRSI's logo on the back, would make a cool shirt.

st_owly wrote:
My housemate describes my collection as that of a mad woman. I'm inclined to agree.

The Manga Asylum. You're welcome.

Ortensia1980 wrote:
Would it be too easy if I'd just call it "My Happy Place"?

No, it'd be too precious. When I hear that I picture a petite girl in a white dress opening a door to a whimsical land filled with anime and manga and saying with a huge grin on her face, "Welcome to My Happy Place". Unfortunately, this same girl also has blank eyes and never changes expressions, but that's why you look away and admire the collection.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
st_owly

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:53 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:

st_owly wrote:
My housemate describes my collection as that of a mad woman. I'm inclined to agree.

The Manga Asylum. You're welcome.

Nailed it Laughing
Crisha

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:17 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
My collection is overwhelmingly anime DVDs with a smattering of Blu-ray titles. I have a modest amount of manga, almost 100 figures (most of which are buxom temptresses) several anime T-shirts, about 5 anime scrolls and then some odds and ends (fridge magnets, keychains, CDs, etc).

My anime collection is fairly eclectic in that it spans a number of different genres.

Unlike TKoH's lovingly and well-constructed display space, my own is an absolute shambles. I've got DVDs in bookshelves, rammed into my TV cabinent, packed away in boxes and bags, heaped on the floor and even on one end of my futon. It's an embarrassing and inelegant clutter. My figures are placed with no particular design strategy where ever they can fit. One of my wallscrolls is hanging over an already existing picture ... actually I've done that twice. Let's just say the feng shui of my place is seriously effed up. Eek.

Okay, so what name do I fashion from this abundance and chaos? I give you the...

Eeklection! Eek + eclectic + collection.

Wow, that's some mighty fine bullshit right there. You should just call it what your inner id was going for before your superego got in the way: Erection

"Wow, Blood-! Your Erection is so huge!"
"How much did you pay to get your Erection?"
"Your Erection makes all the fangirls go wild."
larinon

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:25 pm Reply with quote
Hmm...

My friends refer to it as The Shrine, or sometime The Shrine of Anime, so I would probably have to go with that.

It feels like I need something in the form of "[blank] of [blank]", but The Horde is pretty awesome. Den of Iniquity is not bad but more of an all-purpose nomenclature. It's not something I've ever tried to sort out before.

Incidentally, my car is named Yukari. (Azumanga Daioh character -- color reminded me of her)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Ortensia1980

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:26 pm Reply with quote
Wish I had come up with The Horde. That's an awesome name.

The King of Harts wrote:
Ortensia1980 wrote:
Would it be too easy if I'd just call it "My Happy Place"?

No, it'd be too precious. When I hear that I picture a petite girl in a white dress opening a door to a whimsical land filled with anime and manga and saying with a huge grin on her face, "Welcome to My Happy Place". Unfortunately, this same girl also has blank eyes and never changes expressions, but that's why you look away and admire the collection.

That's me. Apart from the blank eyes that is Wink

I can't come up with anything other than that name unfortunately. I've got all sorts of things in my collection. It's mainly DVDs and BDs, but I don't really focus on any particular genre. And I've got about 20 figures (which are mainly girls with weapons), couple of posters, 2 scrolls that I don't have room for, about 15 VHS tapes, a modest manga collection that isn't on display, couple of shirts and other stuff like phone accessories.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2