• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - The Box of Crap

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AnimenexuS

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 4:20 pm Reply with quote
I'm try buy one those Box Random crap. If there they sell them again. Also I see like there Gatchaman V5 DVD in box. I regret not buying Gatchaman. When it was first release. I only have first two DVD. And rent what was on Netflix at the time. Lucky Sentai re-release it DVD/Blu-ray. Weirdly I got the Blu Ray head of the release date. And I tweeted that I got Gatchaman BluRay. Sentai Favorited and retweet it too.
victor viper

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 4:41 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Even worse, the hassle of trying to sell the unwanted stuff (which is why these boxes exist in the first place). I'm not sure I could bear to just throw them in the trash. I have trouble throwing AOL floppies away. Anime smile + sweatdrop

Well, the most efficient route would be to haul the unwanted stuff to the local used media shop, and hope that whatever database they use to price stuff is woefully out-of-date. It might be your lucky day when they offer you $2.50 for that unwanted copy of Law of Ueki, volume 3. Think of it as the world's lamest arbitrage opportunity. Very Happy

As fun as the idea is of having a giant box of DVD's show up in the mail for $30, I'd probably never buy one of these. Most everything from the Geneon/ADV back catalogs that I wanted to take a flyer on, I scavenged from Rightstuf's bargain bin a long time ago, although now I feel kind of ripped off, having paid the outrageous price of $4 apiece for the discs.

As for those old AOL discs, one word---coasters.
RHorsman

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 5:30 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
No, this isn't a forensic analysis of the litter box for the cats that's stashed in the bathroom; that's not really an anime thing, is it?

My Little Box of Cat Feces Can't Be This Cute
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 6:17 pm Reply with quote
Judging from the contents that everyone keeps getting, I don't think it's worth the $20. It's just the same repeated few shows and few features, most of which I've seen or just do not care to see. If it actually were random and varied, that'd be pretty cool, but I don't want Appleseed or eX-Driver, and I certainly don't want random volumes of a series.
Joe Carpenter

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 6:33 pm Reply with quote
by the way, is it me or does it seem like there was a real anime boom in 2003? there just seems to be a massive amount of series from that year

is that the case? is there a higher number of anime from 2003 than normal?
GVman

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 6:35 pm Reply with quote
I didn't get anything spectacular when I got this. I was vaguely interested in Law of Ueki and Heat Guy J, so I need to give those DVDs a watch; I already owned Last Exile; and I got Appleseed. Considering how I was one of the two folks who didn't own it yet, I'm rather pleased.

TheSeventhSense wrote:
It seems like everyone got the good discs but me! I like Ghost Stories and Lain, and had been meaning to check out Dragon Hunters but nooo, you can't have those, here's random discs of various long-running series and Viewiful Joe (I DON'T KNOW WHY THEY THINK ANYONE WOULD WANT THAT.)

I know a guy whose favorite anime ever is Viewtiful Joe. I don't make a habit of talking with him.

Quote:
And Tenjho Tenge, Oh! great's story of buff teenagers somehow tearing each other's clothes off in the course of schoolyard brawlin’

You left out the part about how they all get unwillingly sucked into an ancient several-hundred-year-old conspiracy to create the ultimate warrior/awaken supernatural powers in everyone on earth. It was never too clear which; Hell, it was probably both.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:44 pm Reply with quote
Joe Carpenter wrote:
by the way, is it me or does it seem like there was a real anime boom in 2003? there just seems to be a massive amount of series from that year

The number fluctuates per year, but there's been at least 25 new non-kid anime every single season since then, so that's 1,000 TV series only in the past decade. Think about how many shows have completely slipped by licensing and even fansubbing.
Catseyetiger

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:51 pm Reply with quote
Never could I purchase something like that. I enjoy owning the whole set of something. Getting things bit by bit no way! That is how you end up almost owning something. like say you enjoy a anime and want to finish it or only have the ending. Why would a collector go with that? also due to prices being whack for items no longer in print completing the collection would be nigh impossible unless the collector was very wealthy!

So NEVER I say to such silly box collection no matter what the price.
trilaan

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:11 pm Reply with quote
I bought the 30 DVD box for the 2nd time. Each time I've taken what I wanted and gave the rest out to my anime club. I got the first half of Last Exile in my most recent box. It's kinda a funny coincidence because my dad recently bought what he thought was all of Last Exile: Fam the Silver Wing, but it turned out he only had half of it. When I opened my box and found the first Last Exile series, I also thought it was the whole thing. My father then went out and bought the 2nd half of Fam and I still need to get the rest of Last Exile, which seems like it'll be the harder part.

Overall I've been happy with the things I have received and kept for myself.
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:18 pm Reply with quote
I think random lots of anything are fine. I buy random lots of background artwork (to pair with anime cels) on Yahoo Japan all the time. Sometimes, you get some really nice backgrounds, but there are a lot of routine school and home scenes too that are uninteresting, and largely unuseable.

(As an aside, it might be nice for ANN to feature a guest column, like maybe monthly, featuring well written articles by different members who collect stuff not featured on this site. Not all of us buy DVDs, manga and Figma.)

What I like about 'random lots' is that you never know when you'll get something really good, even if you have to sift through a lot of unwanted stuff to begin with. While I junk most of the stuff, sometimes the items are just too nice to throw away and are nice bonus gifts for anime loving friends during the holidays ("I got this Gad Guard skateboard keychain and thought of you!!").
SnaphappyFMA

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:25 pm Reply with quote
I got one of Crunchyroll's Mysterious Boxes a while back. Here's what was in mine:

Appleseed
Armitage
El Hazard
Ex-Driver
Getbackers
GunXSword (multiple DVDs)
Heat Guy (multiple)
Law of Ueki (multiple)
Madlax
New Getter Robo
Submarine 707 Revolution
Tenchi in Tokyo (multiple)
Tenjho Tenge (multiple)
Texhnolyze (multiple)
Trigun
Ultramarine
Viewtiful Joe (multiple)
X (multiple)

All were Geneon or ADV releases.

I received volumes 3, 4, 5 and 8 of "X." This weekend I got used DVDs of volumes 1 and 7 at Bookoff. I only need 2 and 6 and I'll have a complete set of "X." =D

All in all, I'd say it was worth doing once, but I don't think I would do it again. The series were all old and they were interesting to watch, but if you're watching episodes 36-40 of a series it's not all that helpful.
Joe Carpenter

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:25 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Joe Carpenter wrote:

The number fluctuates per year, but there's been at least 25 new non-kid anime every single season since then, so that's 1,000 TV series only in the past decade. Think about how many shows have completely slipped by licensing and even fansubbing.

well what I mean is, is there a higher number of series from 2003 than the years before or since?
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:01 am Reply with quote
Joe Carpenter wrote:
well what I mean is, is there a higher number of series from 2003 than the years before or since?

2001 and 2002 saw a large increase the number of series produced, so 2003 might have just continued that trend further. Through the 80s and 90s, you still had like ~30 series total, most of those being low budget kid shows or adaptations of completely forgotten romcom manga. The real charge in TV anime began in like 93 or 94 when shorter-format 1 and 2 cours series starting popping up more often.

Did 2003 have more anime than years since? I think 2007 had the most, and it's been a bit dialed back by then, but absolutely NOT reversing the overall trend of more anime being produced in the digital era over the analog era, it's a fluctuating number and anime these days are likely a bit more expensive being in HD over digital SD and marching ever closer to actual 1080p production over 540p or 720p.
relyat08

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:42 am Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
You know, as interesting as it might be, I could never get one of these. The idea of getting individual discs from a series and not having the whole thing would drive my OCD up the wall.

Haha. I got it without really thinking about it and now I am definitely having that issue. I don't technically have OCD, but it does bother me to have part of a series, I had to go out and give it all away. Having it sit in my house for too long would drive me crazy.
configspace

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:42 am Reply with quote
I don't mind a box of random titles, but a single volume out of an out-of-print collection would bother me too.

However I did order CR/rightstuf's random CD box. There's still a chance you'll get one OST volume out of a collection, but the chances are much less than the anime random box.

walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Did 2003 have more anime than years since? I think 2007 had the most, and it's been a bit dialed back by then, but absolutely NOT reversing the overall trend of more anime being produced in the digital era over the analog era, it's a fluctuating number and anime these days are likely a bit more expensive being in HD over digital SD and marching ever closer to actual 1080p production over 540p or 720p.

Most anime now is actually beyond 720p. In fact it's never exactly 720p and that's just a myth that people assume by doing some downscaling/re-upscaling tests on a few scenes. There's no actual way of determining asset or digital cell resolution, post production. No one would have guessed that character resolution for Twin Angel TV from two years ago is 1600 x 960 and is the standard for JC Staff's TV anime.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4