• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - The Thing About My Dokes

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Penguin_Factory

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:16 pm Reply with quote
I could personally go for a more or less infinite quantity of Dokes if it focused on other characters. We know there have been tons of other magical girls before Madoka et al were even born, and you could wring a lot of stories out of how different people react to the situation they find themselves in.

Hell, it's made clear in the show that there have been magical girls throughout history so you could do Dokes stories set in other time periods.
notrogersmith

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:16 pm Reply with quote
Is it me, or are the reviewers of the third Madoka movie conveying that it's more or less the Madoka series' equivalent to Full Metal Alchemist: The Conqueror of Shamballa?
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:17 pm Reply with quote
notrogersmith wrote:
Is it me, or are the reviewers of the third Madoka movie conveying that it's more or less the Madoka series' equivalent to Full Metal Alchemist: The Conqueror of Shamballa?

Not even remotely.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:41 pm Reply with quote
notrogersmith wrote:

Rebellion isn't a dime a dozen "Anime: The Movie" productions, there may exist reasons why a person might legitimately complain about the film, but calling it a simple cash in project is not within the realm of an honest complaint.
Juno016

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:00 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
The other thing that puts me off ever trying Madoka Magica (besides the price of the show) is that I am a spoiler-reader but, even if I wasn't, it's pretty hard to avoid certain major spoilers for this series especially if you spend any time looking at anime image boards so I know about many of the deaths in the show and to be frank, what I've seen in image memes about certain deaths comes across as rather brutal and sadistic and that's just not the kind of show I'm interested in watching.

Your reasoning is pretty solid, at least. I mean, Madoka could be the greatest thing ever, but its hype is so high that, if you've already been subject to it (especially after reading spoilers...), you're just going to have unrealistic expectations of it. I'd suggest waiting long enough for the hype to actually die down. If that takes a decade or more, so be it. But the show needs to be watched without expectations and by its own merits to be appreciated. The only reason it even got the attention during its broadcast run was because people had normal expectations for it, and as soon as it exceeded them, the hype train started chugging along.

It's definitely a "classic," at least. It has and will likely continue to influence the Magical Girl genre forever more (with all the original story spin-offs, I'd be surprised if it didn't inspire its own sub-genre of the stories of other girls in the same universe, either before or after the series' end).
Adam Wednesdays

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:12 pm Reply with quote
Something I was curious about- Mike mentioned that at least some of the audience seemed irritated and confused by the movie when he went to go see it. For other people who went to go see it, how did the audience react to Rebellion?

FenixFiesta wrote:
Quote:

Quote:
45+ minutes of screwing around in the name of stylistic irony as directed by Akiyuki Shinbo sounds utterly painful

At least this poster knows WHY he refuses to watch Shaft works.

Yeah, I'm not a SHAFT fan. Madoka is the only series of theirs that I can honestly say I enjoyed. And to be fair, I really really love the Dokes.

I should have probably made it clearer that I do plan on watching Rebellion when I get the chance. I don't know when that will be, since there are no screenings near me and a normally priced Aniplex product is going to be well out of my price range, but I will see it eventually. And while I'm definitely weary of it based on both what people have said about it and my own experience with SHAFT, Shinbo, and the TV show, I certainly haven't already decided that I hate it. Who knows, maybe the magical girl adventure party at the beginning of the film will end up being my favorite part of the movie. That doesn't seem likely, but I'm not going to say it's impossible. I'm just going in with what I think are reasonably calibrated expectations.
rizuchan

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:00 pm Reply with quote
Adam Wednesdays wrote:
Something I was curious about- Mike mentioned that at least some of the audience seemed irritated and confused by the movie when he went to go see it. For other people who went to go see it, how did the audience react to Rebellion?

Our movie theater had a very strict "no talking" policy, which was wonderful except I did miss having *some* audience reaction. (the first two movies were shown at a different theater here, and there was lots of ooh-ing and awe-ing) But when the movie was over it was... quiet, and I don't think it was the no talking policy that did it. There was one guy who said something like "What was THAT?", but I think everyone else, including me, were just silently flabbergasted. I felt bad for the girls cosplaying as Homura. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:06 pm Reply with quote
I saw it at a Cinema Cafe, so while it wasn't perfectly silent, the audience was pretty respectful. The first part of the movie got some good laughs out of the audience though.

I think the moment that got the most verbal "what the hell" from the audience was the Hitomi yukkuri.

Seriously, what the fudge was that.
BKWordsmith

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:43 pm Reply with quote
So what did he think about the movie? After all those run-on sentences and rambling paragraphs about missing tickets to other movies, prices, the weather and cosplayers I was really bored.

Who does he think he is, Harry Knowles?
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:50 pm Reply with quote
BKWordsmith wrote:
So what did he think about the movie? After all those run-on sentences and rambling paragraphs about missing tickets to other movies, prices, the weather and cosplayers I was really bored.

I think that was the point, he is viewing the film as a non zealot fan at a phenomena occurring around him.

He doesn't have a strong reaction to it as he wasn't as nearly invested as someone who bought a treasure trove of Madoka Merch, he simply watched the movie, didn't really care for the "twist", and that was his experience.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:24 am Reply with quote
BKWordsmith wrote:

It isn't a film review. It isn't labeled as a film review. Nothing in the article indicates that this is a film review.
Wooga

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:42 am Reply with quote
Madoka reminds me of grimdark 'retellings' of fairy tales.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:53 am Reply with quote
Wooga wrote:
Madoka reminds me of grimdark 'retellings' of fairy tales.

Classic fairy tales are usually even darker than Madoka in there original context.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:00 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

While I'm sure it happens a lot, it really seems to be kind of a plague with this series in particular and that movie especially.

Do not go to the book club meeting if you haven't read the book.

Cool, having seen the TV series and not the movie firmly puts me in this crowd and the question of "do you want to see more of Madoka after the ending changed the entire premise of the franchise?" has nothing...

There seems to be an echo here somehow.

What amazes me the most about what I her about the movie is how shocking the twists are and what such and such happened to what character {considering who I thought of as the "villain"/antagonist in the series, I'm not surprised. Or interested? For the record: Antagonist was Kyubey. Villain was Homura. I love how the fans ignore that last shot of her and how it's a suitably karmic fate. Until the movie...}. It's clearly a movie made for the fans and while I can certainly appreciate the TV series, I can't say I like it and putting it along side other magical girl series is kind of insulting, not only to other such series but to Madoka itself {"Dokes"? Not doing it}.

Is it a magical girl series? Yes ... not really... but the problem is that it knows it's a magical girl series and all the twists play off that fact. This would be fine but I also get the feeling that the creative team would rather be anywhere else but here. Not so much that they don't like the elements that make up a magical girl series but that it's beneath them. The movies take on it sounds like: "Yeah, that, that is nothing, you don't want that, this is really what we got..."

Cue regurgitation of original series ending - in reverse. Nice. Pointless but nice.

And yeah, here's the "not really" part. The franchise is completely insular; In the end, they're "magical girls" saving each other ... from each other ... by fighting each other. Are there any other characters in this series anymore or is the whole "human" population comprised of Madoka, Homura and their lackies?

Quote:
Picture Kyubey eating its own tail.

... All too easy.

Do I want to see more of the franchise {that's still mooing on its way to the slaughterhouse}? No, I didn't and I still don't.
brankoburcksen

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:28 am Reply with quote
I'm fine with the amount of Doke we got. Yes, they are going crazy with the merchandise, which I find disappointing just because it does not seem like it will go towards supporting more series that I would actually like to see.

In that regard, I'm glad Attack on Titan is selling so much even if a lot of it feels as inappropriate for the source material as Doke. Still, whenever they plan to make more AoT, which they inevitably will, I want it to look as good as it can possibly be. To that end, if it means they have to sell some figurines of Titan Eren in a speed-o, go for it!

I like Aniplex's US releases just because they include so much stuff, but do not ever expect me to buy anything unless the content is as good or better than Doke. Again, this just makes me so happy Funimation nabbed Attack on Titan so quick. I already pre-ordered it, which is something I almost never do, and beyond the show itself being good enough to see more than once, my quintessential factor for buying any DVD/Blu-ray is I want to show it to friends and family. In that regard, AoT is the only anime, apart from NANA, which I would not hesitate for a second to recommend to anyone I know since most of them do not watch anime. So if it turns out they like it, down the line Funimation will put out a reasonably priced box set they would feel comfortable purchasing. That is something I cannot expect from Aniplex, and while I am happy for their success, I still feel disappointed their business model locks them out of reaching casual anime fans or curious non-fans
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4