• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Net Neutrality Strike Down and the Effects of it on Manga and Anime (along with other things)

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Mad Manga Massacre

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:53 pm Reply with quote
I have so many questions about this none of which I can seem to find the answers too despite it having been a few weeks since it was announced: How will this impact manga and anime distribution sites located in the U.S.? I'm especially worried about the future of simulcasts and simulpubs and digital graphic novels in general. How will this impact Canada's and other countries outside the United States access to such things? When does it come into effect? Where can I find updates on the issue? How will this effect gaming? How will this effect ANN itself? How will this effect Twitter and Facebook?
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:58 am Reply with quote
For all legal streams, it probably won't impact things very much (illegal streams, that's an entirely different story). At least the short term. The lights aren't just going to turn off at ANN or Cruchyroll tomorrow.

But without Net Neutrality there is a lot of room for what basically amounts to Racketeering from the big internet providers. Forcing content providers to pay huge fees to keep their bandwidth up and connected to users/customers.

This is worst case scenario, but it is quite worrisome, and it leads control of internet content more and more to large entities. Which is no good for anyone.

I still have hope something will happen to keep Net Neutrality alive. It may have been struck down, but its in the appeal process (I believe).
Polycell

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:13 am Reply with quote
The thing to keep in mind is that the net neutrality regulations haven't been around for much longer than it took to get them struck down. Since all the big bandwidth hogs already pretty much need agreements with ISPs just to provide decent service at all, I highly suspect there won't be much of a change.
The Mad Manga Massacre

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:51 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the information.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1