• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Last Second Gift Guide

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Barbobot

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:43 am Reply with quote
partysmores wrote:
What about the fan who doesn't have a Blu-Ray player, AKA my friend? I'm about to say fudge it, head to Barnes and Noble and buy him whatever. because seriously this is difficult. All the new releases are Blu-Ray.

Well with the exception of the NISA releases and Little Witch Academia (which is a special case in itself) all the others on this list are either DVD/Blu-Ray or available as one or the other. And most stuff still tends to be released in both formats, at least the stuff from Sentai and Funi.
FlamingFirewire

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:59 am Reply with quote
Wow, this is a really good list. I think just about every thing on this list is something that I'd want to own at some point - does a good job at highlighting the standouts of all the R1 anime releases this year too.
Nayu

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 1:47 am Reply with quote
partysmores wrote:
What about the fan who doesn't have a Blu-Ray player, AKA my friend? I'm about to say fudge it, head to Barnes and Noble and buy him whatever. because seriously this is difficult. All the new releases are Blu-Ray.

Buy your friend a blu-ray player. Very Happy
EnigmaticSky

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 9:47 am Reply with quote
LWA looks great, but I would never buy a 20 minute ova for $60. The value just isn't there. Maybe if it were some sort of collector's set of all anime mirai projects, or if it got made into a series and it came along with it, but not stand alone.

Overall though this is a solid list. I would recommend just about all of it.
Nayu

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:13 am Reply with quote
EnigmaticSky wrote:
LWA looks great, but I would never buy a 20 minute ova for $60. The value just isn't there. Maybe if it were some sort of collector's set of all anime mirai projects, or if it got made into a series and it came along with it, but not stand alone.

Overall though this is a solid list. I would recommend just about all of it.

Especially not a $60 ova you can watch for free on the internet in multiple locations legitimately.
Echo_City

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 4:37 pm Reply with quote
Nayu wrote:
partysmores wrote:

Buy your friend a blu-ray player. Very Happy
Exactly. Friends don't let friends rot their eyes by not being able to watch content stored at resolutions above 720*480.

I second the comment about most everything having a DVD release. This is yet another reason why Funimation should combopack everything (they seem to drop it for "big" movie releases) and why Sentai Filmworks should finally adopt the combopack.
Quote:
+1.
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:08 pm Reply with quote
partysmores wrote:

Buy your friend manga. No electronics required, and there were some really great releases this year: Gundam the Origin, Satoshi Kon's Tropic of the Sea, Watamote, Summer Wars, Attack on Titan, Attack on Titan, and did I mention Attack on Titan? Laughing

I love combo packs. I only have one Blu-Ray player which I only got this Black Friday. Everything else I have plays DVDs-computers, a portable player, etc. Not all my friends have Blu-Ray players, and if you travel and end up in a motel or hotel, it might have a DVD player, but probably not a Blu-Ray player. Having an option is the most pratical choice right now. I just don't understand why so many people hate combo packs.
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 1:28 pm Reply with quote
I received the second half of Penguindrum for Christmas (just bought the first half myself haha) and treated myself to Garden of Words today. I'm still waiting for my copy of Daily Lives of Highschool Boys after ordering in September and had a second copy re-shipped. Might need to grab it from somewhere else now Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 1:59 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:

I love combo packs. I only have one Blu-Ray player which I only got this Black Friday. Everything else I have plays DVDs-computers, a portable player, etc. Not all my friends have Blu-Ray players, and if you travel and end up in a motel or hotel, it might have a DVD player, but probably not a Blu-Ray player. Having an option is the most pratical choice right now. I just don't understand why so many people hate combo packs.

Yes exactly while I plant to get a Blu-ray player soon I can only hook it up on the shared TV downstairs.

My preferred TV is actually the one in my room which is old and I don't really feel like hooking up a Blu-ray player to it when I won't get anything out of it & well the wires are a bit of a mess.

So I definitely prefer combo packs. And hey its nice to have a backup anyways.

edit: The only thing I don't really like about combo packs is the aesthetic of them saying DVD/BR combo pack on top.
OncelostLu

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 4:07 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
I just don't understand why so many people hate combo packs.

While I don't hate the combo packs, I'm not a huge fan of the packaging. When I order a dvd/blu ray combo from amazon, 3/5 times the arms that hold the extra disks, are broken. I only have this problem with amazon. I've contacted them and done countless returns, to which they state that the delivery person is the cause of the issue. However, when I ordered Eden of the East, I had to go through three copies, which after the third broken one I just got a refund and bought it else where. Amazon took it down for awhile to look into it, I'm not sure what ever came of it.

While I may have believed them about the delivery person being at fault, I never have issues with Rightstuf or any other companies that use the same delivery service. Though now that I think of it, my copy of Gunslinger Girl was broke in half. That doesn't have any arms in the case, it's a standard blu ray case.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2