• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Space Dandy (TV) (both seasons).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Akane the Catgirl

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:13 pm Reply with quote
Hooray, we got an entire episode dedicated to Scarlet and Honey! I always like it when they show up. We even got backstory and some nice character development from both.

I shall now delve into spoilers!

spoiler[I still think Honey is stalking/spying on Dandy. At the very least, we know she's much smarter and stronger than she looks now.

Also, I loved the focus on Scarlet in this episode. We get to see a new side of her that we haven't seen before. I wonder what the show will do with her in the future? Then again, Keiko Nobumoto wrote this one, so it might not come back.

Knowing that Vic Mignogna was the Cloudian, all I can think of is that he was playing Tamaki Suoh if he matured a bit and became a true gentleman. And I've never even completed Ouran due to my lack of commitment. It's next after I finish Haibane Renmei, though.]

Those are my thoughts, and I can't wait for more of Dandy's adventures. See you next week!
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:15 am Reply with quote
God...that laugh track was the single worst thing in this show thus far. It was so random and ill timed. Half the time it didn't even really coincide with jokes and just felt bizarre. And when it did...well that was just as bad. Making what I can only assume were deliberately bad jokes followed by a laugh track is only ironically funny once or twice. But they just did it over and over. And the few actual funny jokes just felt unfunny by virtue of them beating you over the head with a laugh track. Also, unlike some of the other weaker episodes it wasn't even capped by an impressive or inventive animation sequence. It was cool to see Honey get to actually do something and there were still a few funny moments here or there. But overall, this was without a doubt the weakest episode of the season if not the weakest of the series for me.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:01 am Reply with quote
Man, there's something REALLY depressing where the one time Honey and Scarlett gets to finally shine, the overall episode gets botched due to a failed comedic gimmick. I was hoping something memorable attached to that episode. I wonder what's been revealed about Honey will be used in the grand scheme of the series.
Akane the Catgirl

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:34 am Reply with quote
^ I should mention again that Keiko Nobumoto wrote this episode. This is her third credit for Space Dandy, having previously written Episodes Eight and Fifteen (that being the Laika and Ukulele Man episodes, respectively). My thoughts on her writing for this specific series range from "this is good horror" to "UWAHHH!!!" to "eh..?". I do think that not only was this episode not as good as her first two, but that this was by far the weakest episode in the entire series. Sure, we got lots of focus on Honey and Scarlet. But this episode just wasn't that funny. (One of my pet peeves is the laugh tracks, and by God, the gimmick was so annoying.) Given her track record, I believe Nobumoto was way out of her element.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:01 am Reply with quote
Not sure if I made it clear, but anything not related to the fact they focused on two if the best long awaited good female characters, was pretty terrible and a bit of a stain on the series.

@ Akane the Catgirl
I can see that those two were ones I was not that fond of, Ukulele Man was kind of boring, as were the space fleas, although the Laika/Pup part was one of the most noteworthy scenes in the series.
danilo07

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:03 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Given her track record, I believe Nobumoto was way out of her element.

I wouldn't say she is out her element, it's just that she doesn't have enough time to make her ideas meaningful or even coherent. If you look at the structure of SD episodes that were written by her, you will see that the same structure exists in her other works like Tokyo Godfathers. But there she had enough time to devote to development of her ideas, and the elements of the story were all linked in a way that deeply resonated with the theme of the film.
I agree that her episodes are probably worst of the bunch, but ironically she is the best writer that worked on the show ( barring someone like Toh Enjoe, who doesn't write anime).
Jacquipuff

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:25 am Reply with quote
I really enjoyed getting to see more of both Honey and Scarlet this episode. spoiler[Honey being half-Cloudian was interesting. Have we had any other half-aliens on the show? I can't recall, but I don't think so.]

Seems like I liked this episode more than some did...and I wasn't quite as annoyed by it as others seem to have been, but I have to agree that the laugh track was very stupid. Sure they had an explanation for it, but that didn't make it any better...
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:40 am Reply with quote
I absolutely loved this episode. Scarlet and Honey were both awesome spoiler[Honey by saving herself after being set up as a damsel in distress who had two guys coming to save her, and Scarlet by opening up a bit. I'd like to see more of Pine Pine, too].

Dr. Gel had a significant role in the plot and acted as a competant villain, usually he just annoys me. Talking about annoying, the laugh track gimmick worked for me as an homage to old, stupid sitcoms. I actually laughed at points where the laugh track went off, which is quite the accomplishment for a show. And I really liked Vic Mignogna as Gentle.

It's interesting that Honey is spoiler[half-Cloudian. Her brain broke the mind reading machine, and she can pull off difficult wrestling moves on much bigger guys. I hope we see more of her and learn more about the Cloudians in upcoming episodes. All those Cloudian effects were cool and their implied powers had plot potential]
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 12:02 am Reply with quote
Lol, is that spoiler[Johnny Yong Bosch? Wait, they said his name was Johnny right? So we have a VA named Johnny playing a character named Johnny. LOL.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Panzer Vor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 12:06 am Reply with quote
I believe Josh Grelle summed it up best:

Josh Grelle @JoshGrelle · 8m
Long live the Dropkix #SpaceDandy @iantweeting @johnnyyongbosch @AtYes2Ats
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 12:13 am Reply with quote
man, Honey was certainly piling on the fan service this week. And Dandy is still as ass man
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 2:37 pm Reply with quote
Season 2, Episode 7

Dandy finally found someone who can spoiler[match is brand of being pathetic, and it is leader of an empire who wanted to team up with Dandy to become a rock god]. This episode was awesome, laughed at all the spoiler[rock clichés Dandy bounces off of the Johnny Yong Bosch voiced character who shares a number of his traits and thought pattern, yet end up in ridiculous fights].

Also Honey seemed to be having fun in doing all of those poses, it is not as awkward as some shows as clearly she knows what she is doing. On the outside not much special, but I found the episode to actually be pretty enjoyable with everything that was in it.

Ooh, next episode looks interesting in my opinion, I am hoping for a more emotional story.
L'Imperatore

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 3:34 pm Reply with quote
I wanna hear Ian Sinclair singing "Viva Namida". Seriously.

Boy, watching this episode again reminds me... how I miss the practice of dubbing anime OP and ED songs. Sad
Yeah, I'm well aware I'm in the minority here. Just being honest, that's all. Wink
Akane the Catgirl

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:41 pm Reply with quote
This episode was really funny. Once again, I don't expect less from Kimiko Ueno. That woman can write really comedic material. I couldn't stop laughing throughout the entire episode, from Johnny's musing, to all the narrator's snarking, and of course, too many band jokes. Everyone else here said everything I could, so I'll stop here.

Next episode...hmm...this looks interesting...
danilo07

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 2:43 pm Reply with quote
As a person who lives in a country where Moomin is a legendary show I can't wait for new episode.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 20 of 24