• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Hung Over

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:13 am Reply with quote
It sure is easy to win arguments when you just make up what the other people are saying.
ninjaclown

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:59 am Reply with quote
Sure is. That's all that's been happening in this thread. Is this topic matter so much to so many?
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:40 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
How about ditching all the stupid tribalism and categories and saying "if you like anime you're an anime fan"?

Oh right that wouldn't allow people to be ridiculous and exclusionary about it. Carry on.

Yea, this whole conversation has already turned into one of those "I'm better than you and my opinion means more" self-affirmation arguments. These labels people keep throwing around (i.e. "true anime fan" and the like) are pointless. Judge people's opinions based on the facts and evidence provided, that's how you will have the most productive discussions.
toyNN

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:57 pm Reply with quote
The thread is pretty entertain though.

Justin's response on the third question really resonates with me. The level of control the agencies exert on the talent and material in Japan is extreme and quite a luxury for them. The formula continues to work for them and generates a lot of revenue I can't seem them changing much anytime soon unfortunately.
mdo7

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:10 pm Reply with quote
toyNN wrote:
The thread is pretty entertain though.

Justin's response on the third question really resonates with me. The level of control the agencies exert on the talent and material in Japan is extreme and quite a luxury for them. The formula continues to work for them and generates a lot of revenue I can't seem them changing much anytime soon unfortunately.

Well I never understood why Japan kept it that way, I mean Japan can get more money on the international market rather then local market, it worked for Korea with K-dramas (and K-pop) and it's also working for other Asian countries like Taiwan (where Taiwanese dramas are picking up audiences outside of Asia). I never believe in self-sustaining market because local market can't get you money, but international market can get you a lot of money, Japan's population is declining and I don't know how long can self-sustain, but at some point, Japan will have to export J-dramas because local market is not going to help them. As I said, Japan's entertainment business is just unfair and I never understood why Japan didn't ride on the drama craze that K-dramas.

My question: How come Japan never thought of targeting the international market, when there is more money outside of Japan then in Japan when it comes to drama and music?? I mean J-dramas can get more money outside of Japan then in Japan, I can say the same for music. Oh don't give me the Japan is the 2nd biggest music market excuse, US is #1 yet we still export our music outside of US and US artists do world tour when J-pop don't do any world tour unlike their Korean and American counterpart. I read it Europe has more money then US and Japan combined.

Quote:
When asked what he thinks K-pop can gain with a launch into the European market, Kim Youngmin proudly said that the European market is estimated to be worth 7 trillion Won. This basically means it's larger than the US (6 trillion), Japan (4 trillion), and China (1 trillion).

I don't know what 7 trillion Won is equal in Yen, but if there is more money in Europe, then how come J-pop don't enter the European market. I never seen J-pop artists singing in other language other then Japanese and English, it would be nice to see J-pop artists to do a Korean-language and Chinese-language album for once (like K-pop artists do Chinese-language and Japanese language album).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
thenix

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:18 pm Reply with quote
Why doesn't Japan buy the rights for the show "Friends" and continue it from where it left off in America. This could be the breakthrough j-drama that is a hit overseas and opens the flood gates.

You might say "But it would be too expensive to hire David Schwimmer now that he's a big star from the Madagascar movies" and I'd say, just hire a Japanese look alike. I mean Friends is already popular in Japan, I think it would be a good idea to cater a bit more to the them though if they are going the produce the continuation of such a great tv series.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:29 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
My question: How come Japan never thought of targeting the international market, when there is more money outside of Japan then in Japan when it comes to drama and music??

Because they hate foreigners and the yakuza don't have control of manga/LN publishers or anime studios like they do live action talent agencies. You cannot get more racist and xenophobic that Japanese organized crime. Can you please stop asking this same question in every goddamn thread?
musouka

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:31 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
If you only like a couple shows a season or year, and they tend to be of largely similar styles, and you watch lots of non-anime things that are in that style/genre, then yes, calling yourself an 'anime' fan in the general sense might not be particularly accurate.

I don't think being a fan depends on some arbitrary number of shows you watch per season. Frankly, the number of shows I follow can vary wildly from season to season, or even year to year, but for more than half my life I have kept up with anime/manga as a whole in terms of trends and popularity. I didn't watch, for example, Infinite Stratos, but I can point it out in a line up, give you a basic summary of the plot, and even identify some of the more popular girls by name. I know the difference between Strike Witches and Vividred, though I have absolutely no interest in either.

In short, I'm an anime fan because I keep up with anime, whether by watching it or simply being aware of what exists and how popular it is.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:54 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

In short, I'm an anime fan because I keep up with anime, whether by watching it or simply being aware of what exists and how popular it is.

I haven't had an active World of Warcraft account for over a year at this point, I cannot in good faith claim to be an active WoW player even if I can keep up on information with regards to patch changes on WoWhead, MMOchampion, or the official Blizz site itself.

Reading a review, even if it is a very detailed review filled with every spoiler that a series has to offer is NOT the same as spending the time to watch and experience an anime series.

You can say a certain line of anime series is not your cup of tea, but until you have chugged down that cup and thrown up in revulsion you cannot say you "know" exactly why you reject that particular series.

That said, the issue has never really been about the labels and more so about conversation fidelity, someone who talks about an anime series second hand based on an internet review is NOT the same as say having watched a particular series.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:02 pm Reply with quote
Read all the arguments about who's a fan and who ain't, and what constitutes both.

Trying to categorize everyone into a handful of groups is impossible, since you can never draw the lines so clearly to distinguish people. But on the other hand, a person who watches eighty-plus shows a year is more of a fan than someone who only just watches eight.

With those two points in mind, the way I see it, fandom is a sliding scale, not a "them or us" deal. We are all fans, but some fans really are more dedicated, more knowledgeable, more hardcore than others. And that's fine. That's how it works for every fandom ever.
musouka

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:07 pm Reply with quote
FenixFiesta wrote:
I haven't had an active World of Warcraft account for over a year at this point, I cannot in good faith claim to be an active WoW player even if I can keep up on information with regards to patch changes on WoWhead, MMOchampion, or the official Blizz site itself.

Yes, you cannot be called an "active player". You can certainly be termed an "active fan". Just like if I watch no anime for a year, I am not an active anime viewer, but as long as I am still interested in the media and making an effort to keep up with what's being made and the medium as a whole, then I am still a fan.
Galap

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:10 pm Reply with quote
^ you got it dtm. Everything is both unique and categorizable.

The discussion is dumb because it seems to just be a venue for people to flaunt their epeens.

Ultimately a peson's 'worth' as a fan to me comes from the intelligence and interest of the discourse I have with them about things, rather than anything else. Worth as a fan isn't really the right term.

Basically, someone's value to me as someone who talks about anime comes from the value of the things they say about anime, nothing else. It's pretty simple.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:43 pm Reply with quote
musouka wrote:
FenixFiesta wrote:

Yes, you cannot be called an "active player". You can certainly be termed an "active fan". Just like if I watch no anime for a year, I am not an active anime viewer, but as long as I am still interested in the media and making an effort to keep up with what's being made and the medium as a whole, then I am still a fan.

That wasn't my main point, and if you thought it was you didn't bother reading my post thoroughly.
king 47

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:14 pm Reply with quote
thenix wrote:
king 47 wrote:

For me there are a few quick rules that automatically categorize an anime as crap. If a show has loli, incest, fan service (sexual), or over the top cliches, then it is crap. Though, I don't spam, troll, or complain about it, I just move on.

out of curiosity did you not like Up on Poppy Hill?

If I recall correctly, isn't it the movie that spoiler[the characters end not being siblings?]

If that's the one, then I actually didn't dislike it. The reason is that the incest wasn't the premise of the movie. It wasn't a movie about a girl obsessed with her onichan or vice versa. spoiler[They started liking each other, then learned that they were siblings, then they ended up not being siblings afterall]. So regardless it doesn't matter. Even after all that, the movie was clean. I thought it was good.

If it isn't the movie you were talking about, then I'm not sure. I'd have to watch it again to tell you what I thought. But I don't feel like re-watching it my backlog.
thenix

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:22 pm Reply with quote
king 47 wrote:
thenix wrote:
king 47 wrote:

For me there are a few quick rules that automatically categorize an anime as crap. If a show has loli, incest, fan service (sexual), or over the top cliches, then it is crap. Though, I don't spam, troll, or complain about it, I just move on.

out of curiosity did you not like Up on Poppy Hill?

If I recall correctly, isn't it the movie that spoiler[the characters end not being siblings?]

If that's the one, then I actually didn't dislike it. The reason is that the incest wasn't the premise of the movie. It wasn't a movie about a girl obsessed with her onichan or vice versa. spoiler[They started liking each other, then learned that they were siblings, then they ended up not being siblings afterall]. So regardless it doesn't matter. Even after all that, the movie was clean. I thought it was good.

If it isn't the movie you were talking about, then I'm not sure. I'd have to watch it again to tell you what I thought. But I don't feel like re-watching it my backlog.

I see what you are saying now. I thought it was the mere implications, or it being in the story at all that would make you want to stop watching but I think you mean more specifically shows based around it like kiss x sis. While I don't blame you I wouldn't let the theme stop me from enjoying a good anime. That being said I haven't seen one with an incest theme that I think is a must watch either.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 13 of 17