• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Gundam Creator Yoshiyuki Tomino Comments on Upcoming Gundam: Hathaway's Flash Film Trilogy

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Strike105

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:16 pm Reply with quote
I'm honestly surprised. Usually Tomino is way more negative about... Anything, really.

This is a guy notorious for trash talking just about everything he glances at, including his own work, and yet here he is, saying that he's happy that HF is getting animated.

Not only that, but he's also... Acting hopeful for the future?!

THE END TIMES ARE UPON US!!!!
Kicksville

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:37 pm Reply with quote
The negative stuff gets reported on more. Back when Build Fighters Try and G-Reco were announced on a live stream with a live translation, I regret not saving it - they didn't keep it up after: Tomino was very complimentary towards the systems that keep the franchise going. (He also kept rejecting the label of "special guest", insisting on saying he was "not special")
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:50 pm Reply with quote
Tomino is right, the world has regressed a bit mostly due to politics though. Although this era of regression won't last forever and will eventually end once everyone is back on their party lines again.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:27 pm Reply with quote
Kicksville wrote:
The negative stuff gets reported on more. Back when Build Fighters Try and G-Reco were announced on a live stream with a live translation, I regret not saving it - they didn't keep it up after: Tomino was very complimentary towards the systems that keep the franchise going. (He also kept rejecting the label of "special guest", insisting on saying he was "not special")
I wish you had, that sounds like a worthwhile watch. And yes I think people are more interested in someone saying something negative than positive.
TexZero

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:36 pm Reply with quote
Kicksville wrote:

It might be on his twitter. I know i saw something very similar and as of late he's defintely been more humble and careful with his own dislike of Gundam products he's not involved in. He's generally very much on the side of it's not what he would have done, but he's enjoying seeing a fresh take on the universe he helped create.
#alfrescoCR

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:13 pm Reply with quote
He actually nailed todays struggle, regressing back to the bad ol days. Great example , there's racism which could have been gone by now but keeps on coming back. like c'mon, we aint in 50's and 60's anymore guys. I'm not trying to be political preacher here but i'm just saying he's correct that we somehow regressed.
Wrangler

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:55 pm Reply with quote
I do wonder how good this going to be. Yoshiyuki Tomino tends to go off the rails at time.

G-Reco was a trainwreck of problems with beautiful animation (that some newer fans don't like since their used to CGI.)

The comments about Yoshiyuki Tomino saying people making anime are getting younger, and the audience is even younger. Sorry to say, it sounded like he was delusional or covering up / disbelieving his fan base is only decade younger than him.

I love Gundam, but i honestly have trouble believing younger kids in Japan are into it as was the people first watching it for the first time.
TexZero

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:46 pm Reply with quote
Wrangler wrote:
I do wonder how good this going to be. Yoshiyuki Tomino tends to go off the rails at time.

G-Reco was a trainwreck of problems with beautiful animation (that some newer fans don't like since their used to CGI.)

The comments about Yoshiyuki Tomino saying people making anime are getting younger, and the audience is even younger. Sorry to say, it sounded like he was delusional or covering up / disbelieving his fan base is only decade younger than him.

I love Gundam, but i honestly have trouble believing younger kids in Japan are into it as was the people first watching it for the first time.

G-Reco was largerly a directorial issue. That is having guest directors really messed with the overall narrative.

As far as newer/younger audiences i'd say it's true. Each new non-UC story has brought people into the fandom. It's been a rather common occurance since Wing blew up in the west. Gundam has a really unique fanbase combined with a unique universe setting that makes introducing people to it similar to reading comics/manga. They can simply pick up any of the newer stuff (sans Origin,Thunderbolt and Unicorn) and just enjoy it as a standalone.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1