• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Buddy Complex + Part 2 (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bango

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:40 pm Reply with quote
That was... Well, it certainly fits the definition of an anime episode. I'll give it another ep or 2. We really don't know the show's feel and intentions yet. The fight was cool enough and the gundams look ok though nothing amazing. That op gets a special mention though. Wow that was generic. So amazingly generic I actually respect it. As they say, a great actor can convincingly act like a terrible actor whenever he needs to.

So if any of you live with your family and ever need to wake them up, call them by their full name. See how awkward it is. Pretty damn awkward I bet. It sure was here.

Extra points for the subber's screen notes that end up reading
"Zogolia to mine new natural resource"
"Milk"
They're mining milk now, eh? I hear it's gonna be big. They're already starting in Alberta. My main pet project has a country with lots of wacky stuff like pet yogourt and hand grenade trees. I seriously wish I'd included mining for milk.

Hopefully they have an interesting world in the future. I wouldn't have given Gargantia the chance I did if the world weren't so interesting and that turned out to be one of my favourite mecha series.

Similar to Valvrave the show has some major "I've seen you before!" characters. Especially Ryutaro. Yeah, I had to go hunting for that name. I checked the op again and there doesn't seem to be anyone who overlaps with the classmates or sister, even considering an age jump. It'd be funny if they're all just gone from the story.
OldCharlieStoletheHandle

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:16 am Reply with quote
The first episode was interesting enough to make me want to watch at least one more but I'm not expecting too much from this. Time travel for me tends to be really problematic in anime-rarely is it handled well.
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:53 am Reply with quote
This seems about as generic as it can go for a first episode of a mecha series. Being the mecha fanboy I am, I obviously found it really enjoyable to watch. I'm a bit wary on the time travel issue though but the show definitely makes me curious and want to watch more.

Since people brought up Gundam SEED, I have to agree that the opening reminds me of it though. I'm partial to the opening song but I do like the ending song. The character designs look okay, too, the males aren't really all that good so far but I really like the girl's designs better. The eyes just don't seem to match the guys.
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:35 pm Reply with quote

spoiler[The future seems very intense.
At least it isn't lacking action.
Aoba handled himself great.
That was a nice surprise since he's a first timer.
So far it's pretty interesting.
Hope it continues down this road.]
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:28 pm Reply with quote
I think I know why the show might be called Buddy Complex now with the whole "spoiler[coupling]" mechanic going on.

So it's explained briefly that there is a war going on. I'm not surprised although the circumstances could be elaborated later on. Dio seems to hate Aoba so far which I can see as a similarity to L-Elf. As far the action, it was actually pretty good imo by mecha standards.

The ending somewhat surprised me though since spoiler[Hina is present in this future and doesn't seem to be on the same side Dio is on.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:21 pm Reply with quote
Lol i love how many subtle yaoi implications there are between Dio and Aoba.

First the robot said they were a nice couple.
Second Dio had to "propose" to Aoba
Then finally Aoba had to shout "Connect with Dio!"

It's made even funnier because of how serious they are while saying it Anime smile.

Hina is apparently present in the future as well so hopefully there is a good explanation for this time paradox besides "JUST GO WITH IT!".

I'm also glad that they are suspicious of his story of time travel. If they had believed him immediately i would have been a tad upset. Sure considering how bizarre the situation has been during the course of the episode one COULD come to that conclusion but still the very concept of time travel would not be accepted by anyone sensible.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:12 pm Reply with quote
My suspicions about Hina turned out to be correct. Anyway all I have to say about this episode is -

Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:09 am Reply with quote
leatherhead333 wrote:
Lol i love how many subtle yaoi implications there are between Dio and Aoba.

First the robot said they were a nice couple.
Second Dio had to "propose" to Aoba
Then finally Aoba had to shout "Connect with Dio!"

It's made even funnier because of how serious they are while saying it Anime smile.

Hina is apparently present in the future as well so hopefully there is a good explanation for this time paradox besides "JUST GO WITH IT!".

I'm also glad that they are suspicious of his story of time travel. If they had believed him immediately i would have been a tad upset. Sure considering how bizarre the situation has been during the course of the episode one COULD come to that conclusion but still the very concept of time travel would not be accepted by anyone sensible.

Nobody accepts time travel unless they have the technology. The Zogilia side will probably accept it they do because they are probably close to having that technology. Sunrise is bad at hiding thing. Hina wears the same uniform as the Zogilia soldiers in the opening. lol
spoiler[ though they show it at the end anyway. Or maybe she is a spy?]
Merida

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:05 am Reply with quote
"Nice coupling!" Pffffff.

I was ready to drop this show after the first ep. was so generic and...well, boring. But i guess i'm gonna continue watching solely for more coupling buddies scenes. Yeah, i'm easily amused. Laughing
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:50 am Reply with quote
Goofy, "nice couplings" aside, I'm rather enjoying this. It's all fairly standard mecha stuff thus far but its basically polished and well executed enough to be solidly entertaining.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:37 am Reply with quote
Episode 2

Coupling, proposing, receiving, I thought I might have a bit of a problem with that but ended up finding it entertaining. My first thought that I said to coupling was "is that something like docking?", something from Vividred Operation.

And I did not pay any attention to the OP so I was actually happily surprised that spoiler[Hina is on the other side]. It is actually looking pretty interesting.
Bango

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:04 pm Reply with quote
*tries to find a way to open the cockpit*
*picks up hair pin* *cockpit opens*
"It worked!"

*facepalm* No, not unless your gundam was developed by Umbrella.

This ep was better. Sure there's loads of yaoi feed but it's not like they're being obtrusive with it. It's actually kind of funny.

The Hina element will hopefully add a cool twist to the show. The problem with to-the-future time travel stories is that it functions like a normal flash forward, where we know what's to come. But unlike a normal flash forward if it even gets there or not is a mystery until the show's time travel laws are laid out, which they usually aren't.

The ship looks pretty cool. Cute bridge bunnies this time too.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:56 am Reply with quote
Episode 3

Isn't it just typical, you are right in the middle of a coupling when the spoiler[other guy suddenly starts yelling out a woman's name and uses force], you could see the pained spoiler[look on Dio's face]. You can't just spoiler[stop in the middle like that] when everything is up.

Will Dio want even attempt to couple again now that he knows about Aoba's interest in the girl.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:08 am Reply with quote
I realize this is a stressful situation for the kid, but would it kill him to try to absorb the world around him a bit? How long should it really take him to understand what's going on with Hina? And it's entirely unnecessary to the story for him to be so slow, which suggests that the writers wanted to make a point of his basic failure to comprehend reality because... why? To resonate with the audience? What does that say about how they look at the audience?
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:14 am Reply with quote
To him, Hina represents a link to the rest of his life. He was there for maybe a few hours, his head was probably still spinning that, and he fell asleep from the stress soon after feeling comfortable. It seems reasonable that he would spoiler[do something unreasonable when he saw Hina in trouble.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8