• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Buddy Complex + Part 2 (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:42 am Reply with quote
So the future is all about the fight over spoiler[new energy source.]
Well, at least it's not hard to believe it.
Not that far from the possible future that awaits humanity.
Aoba sure has a lot of getting used to.
Guess he'll have to fight quite often from now on.
There is never a dull moment on that ship.
The spoiler[mysterious Hina] finally made an appearance.
Really good episode.
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:53 pm Reply with quote
I feel like the whole "Coupling" thing is just a convenient way of making it so the Aoba doesn't have to learn anything to be able to pilot the mech like a pro. Considering that this is a 12 episode, anime original show i actually don't mind this very much. I personally think Aoba is acting for the most part natural considering whats happened to him so far and i must say the show is rather entertaining so far.

Gah ever since Majestic Prince i've been easily amused by mech related shows so maybe i'm giving this show to much credit. But it also helps that Tatsuya Kato is scoring this as well. Personally i think it might be some of his best work since Horizon in the Middle of Nowhere.

Couple other notes:

1. A mech anime that has hand drawn mech battles? That's the first i've seen of such a thing in a while lol. There are a couple 3DCGI scenes here and there but it's refreshing that it isn't being used 100% of the time.

2. It was a nice touch when Hina was opening her eyes to see Aoba that her eyelashes were showing. It's a minor thing but stuff like that is actually pretty neat to me Anime smile.
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:59 pm Reply with quote
Poor Hina. I wonder if she will remember Aoba. I kinda doubt it for now but maybe eventually she will. They are not on the same side though so that's a bit of a problem there.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Darkmagick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:13 pm Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
Poor Hina. I wonder if she will remember Aoba. I kinda doubt it for now but maybe eventually she will. They are not on the same side though so that's a bit of a problem there.

My personal assumption was that the Hina that saved Aoba was from a later point in time then the point where Aoba ended up in. So therefore, she can't "remember" Aoba, because she's only just met him.

Admittedly, I have no idea how that would make any sense, but it somehow seems like the kind of time paradox thing this show would pull. (That may sound a little derisive, but I am in fact somehow enjoying the crap out of this series. xD)
|comicchaser|

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:23 pm Reply with quote
Darkmagick wrote:

My personal assumption was that the Hina that saved Aoba was from a later point in time then the point where Aoba ended up in. So therefore, she can't "remember" Aoba, because she's only just met him.

That's what I got out of it, yeah. And since Old-Hina (let's just call her that now for the sake of trying to avoid confusion) probably can't coexist in the same time AND space as her younger self, she dissapeared, when she and Aoba traveled to the future. One has to wonder though, if Old-Hina just got erased from existence, or got fast-forwarded to re-emerge in a point of the timeline, where she had already traveled back to save Aoba.

Quote:
Admittedly, I have no idea how that would make any sense, but it somehow seems like the kind of time paradox thing this show would pull. (That may sound a little derisive, but I am in fact somehow enjoying the crap out of this series. xD)

I have to admit, I really dig the show. The story setup is interesting enough. There are at least a few pretty likeable characters. The main hero doesn't seem to be a complete idiot and hasn't been lost in emo-mode so far, which is pretty refreshing, considering it's a Gundam-esque show (and also considering the last series of a similar batch I watched was Valvrave...)
And last but not least: The action-scenes are incredibly well choreographed imo. The mechs are subjected to slight CGI lag/stutter when out of battle, but when the shit hits the fan, this show looks pretty damn awesome. I hope they have a high enough budget to keep it that way until the story is finished.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:24 am Reply with quote
|comicchaser| wrote:
And last but not least: The action-scenes are incredibly well choreographed imo. The mechs are subjected to slight CGI lag/stutter when out of battle, but when the shit hits the fan, this show looks pretty damn awesome. I hope they have a high enough budget to keep it that way until the story is finished.

Yes, you are absolutely right about that. Purely in terms of cool mecha action this show is one of the best I've seen in a long time.
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:44 am Reply with quote
Last year's Majestic Prince had better fight scenes, especially once the hero got his mid-season upgrade. Check out this battle; Buddy Complex has nothing on it (so far at least).
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:02 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Last year's Majestic Prince had better fight scenes, especially once the hero got his mid-season upgrade. Check out this battle; Buddy Complex has nothing on it (so far at least).

No, I like this better. I can't stand when shows drench their mechs in all that glowing light. Especially against a dark background, it makes the whole thing just melt into a big neon blur. Although, purely in terms of choreography, yeah, that scene was pretty nice. Some very strong dynamic cinematography and a decent sense of real impact to the moves.
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:34 am Reply with quote
I'll readily admit that the Majestic Prince fight I linked to was basically Dragonball Z with giant robots, with the frame transformation sequences being akin to super saiyan and Frieza's final form. But despite how silly and unnatural it looks - it's got a weird video game vibe to it - I still feel that in terms of tension, drama, choreography, animation and excitement it easily beats the battles we've seen in Buddy Complex (thus far at least).
|comicchaser|

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:49 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
I'll readily admit that the Majestic Prince fight I linked to was basically Dragonball Z with giant robots, with the frame transformation sequences being akin to super saiyan and Frieza's final form. But despite how silly and unnatural it looks - it's got a weird video game vibe to it - I still feel that in terms of tension, drama, choreography, animation and excitement it easily beats the battles we've seen in Buddy Complex (thus far at least).

I agree, the battles in Majestic Prince were amazing and got me glued to the screen. Especially the fluid camera movement in certain skirmishes was something I had never seen before in an Anime series. However, that specific fight you chose happened after the show had already reached its halfway point. It's also a confrontation between the main protagonist and antagonist of the series, so they obviously pulled out all the stops for that one. I'm pretty sure Buddy Complex will deliver something almost equally engaging, once the fated duel of the show arrives, whatever that one might be. Also: As much as I loved the fights in MJP, the mechs still suffered from occasional weird, clunky movement and stutter due to the usual Anime CGI issues (Not as bad as Valvrave, but still). They were however designed a lot more interestingly than what we've seen in Buddy Complex so far. Those mechs are somewhat bland or at least lack some salient features. Maybe their simple layout is the reason why they animate so well though.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:46 pm Reply with quote
I am slightly annoyed with the over use of scene padding in the form of episode flash backs... especially when flash back is to the previous episode.
Then again Sunrise did similarly in the Gundam Series so in a way I shouldn't be surprised, but still doesn't remove the nature that it is obvious padding and a misuse of the viewers time.
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:07 am Reply with quote

spoiler[Dio sure gets fired up easily.
Aoba still seems to be oblivious about the situations around him.
Mayuka has developed a certain interest in Aoba lol
The sightseeing trip was fun.
Aoba seems to be bothered a lot by the Hina mystery.
Everyone is having high expectations form Aoba..
Dio is the only one who's not too happy about partnership with Aoba.
That's not surprising considering what happened last time.
Hopefully, Aoba won't be so reckless again.]
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:45 am Reply with quote
Episode 4

"It is good to be young."
Laughing What episode won't have lines like that.

Kind of wondering, but is it a little odd that it is only 70 years later, but the Japanese side seems to have a number of more European names, Dio in general really. While on the other hand Hina is a Japanese name, but we were told their nation is on "the other side of the sea."
Stark700

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:34 pm Reply with quote
Episode 4:

Episode felt slow but I'm pretty sure that Mayuka girl has a thing for Aoba. Anyways, I'm wondering about Dio's past/back story soon and waht his family is like so hopefully that will be shed to light soon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Merida

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:27 pm Reply with quote
So Dio's spoiler[ from a rich family with a strict father and a little sister in a wheelchair? He's almost certainly doomed...] but until then the Coupling will keep me entertained. Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8