• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Buddy Complex + Part 2 (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sainta

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:27 pm Reply with quote
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand dropped.

The fights have been pretty boring and characters quite bland. Seriously, Aoba barely shows emotions outside Hina. That Nice Coupling has to be one of the worst asspulls ever.

ookamigirl

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:21 pm Reply with quote

spoiler[Aoba starting his military life.
That should be fun to watch LOL
Dio's sad history came to light this time.
Looks like he's been through a lot.
The official welcome part is gonna have to wait.
Seems like there's at least one attack per episode.
This time was pretty impressive too!]
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:39 pm Reply with quote
The Coupling is such a bloody cop out. I don't think they have won a single battle with out it. Get this Deus ex crap out of here! Mad

Btw the soundtrack is awesome Anime smile
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:32 pm Reply with quote
Now that some time has passed, and whatsisface has had an opportunity to think about the situation, is it okay to call him an idiot yet for spoiler[not figuring out how time-traveling may explain why Hina might not recognize him?] Or does he still get the "man, it's stressful" exemption?
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:41 pm Reply with quote
Episode 5:

My least favorite one so far but at least next time, there's going to be something interesting added with the addition of spoiler[another pilot who can do coupling based on that PV]. Poor Aoba though lol, getting stuck with spoiler[ship cleaning duties].
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Merida

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:15 am Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
is it okay to call him an idiot yet for spoiler[not figuring out how time-traveling may explain why Hina might not recognize him?] Or does he still get the "man, it's stressful" exemption?

I think it's perfectly okay to call him that, i know i do.

And the "coupling" is the only reason i'm still watching this show. Without it, it would just be another generic (and pretty clichéd) mecha anime...
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:38 am Reply with quote
Did anyone else feel what I did during that whole staring a distance scene?
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:55 am Reply with quote
Merida wrote:
Yttrbio wrote:
is it okay to call him an idiot yet for spoiler[not figuring out how time-traveling may explain why Hina might not recognize him?] Or does he still get the "man, it's stressful" exemption?

I think it's perfectly okay to call him that, i know i do.

And the "coupling" is the only reason i'm still watching this show. Without it, it would just be another generic (and pretty clichéd) mecha anime...

The coupling system is just a gimmick to give sudden "techno magic" to our magical boy leads that are implied to be a yaoi combo.

What is going to be explained later is that somehow they learn of time travel technology and more than likely it is discovered by some eccentric scientist character we have not been introduced to, so hopefully said mystery character will be worth the wait and not some exposition dump character.
(maybe the reveal is that it is Goto's Girlfriend, hyuk hyuk hyuk)
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:42 pm Reply with quote
Aoba logic:
-Enlist in the army.
-Immediately ignore orders, shirk duties, and actively help civilians sneak into restricted area.

Really though, this show has taken a bit of a nose dive. Or perhaps it was always pretty contrived but now its just starting to show. Yeah, the fights are still good but all the tension has gone out of it the last couple episodes. Ever since they reached the base there has been too much in the way of dumb shenanigans and hanging around.
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 4:59 pm Reply with quote
1) bland character design with oversized iris;

2) insulting stupidity of "sci-fi" (like girl in wheelchair in the late XXI Century), authors' laziness and disrespect toward viewers. And I am not even talk about idea of *manned* *humanoid* robots, which is double-ridiculous right in your face -- this we should accept as axiom, though there is nothing "scientific" in this at all and thus it is contradictory to whole concept of "sci-fi";

3) every thing -- both little and big -- comes from literally 514 of prior "mecha" anime. For now, you can not name a thing, even the tiniest one, that would be unusual. Yes, not even "coupling" is remotely original; in the past;

4) one of main characters has to be the annoying ever angry type cliche, of whom viewers supposed to be sympathetic -- even though this never works because there a lot of both real-life and fictional characters which go through harsher circumstances and never act like total [expletive]. So in the end the repulsive nastiness of such characters has nothing to do with things "because of which" they became so horrible, it is just they are blatantly bad people who do not deserve any sympathy whatsoever, there is no excuse;

5) typical fake drama spoiler[the annoying guy blames himself for situation he could not really help. But even if you buy that stretch, what you can not buy is that his father blames him, too.] Authors were too lazy and/or stupid to create more believable story;

Thus current rating, which in my experience usually a level higher than reality, is about correct: "Decent", which translates to "So-So".

For now the only somewhat redeeming quality of this series is mechanical design of planes (humanoid flying machines are not interesting). Thanks to the person who did it.
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:25 am Reply with quote

spoiler[Well, this was a useless episode.
Nothing much was going on at all.
It was more of a fan service/relaxed movie making.
The episode ending offered some more exciting stuff.
Still, it was not enough to make up for the boredom before.
After watching this I can't help to wonder why am I still watching it?
Guess I'm still hoping to see the Aoba & Hina time travel mystery explained.]
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:15 am Reply with quote
Episode 6

No! That voice, I thought he was dead. How did he survive again?
Oh, wait, this is not Valvrave. I just had a flashback of one of my most hated characters in recent anime that is about mecha and apparently evil Germans.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:20 am Reply with quote

...Aaaand we're done here. Largely hand drawn, well choreographed mecha fights are nice but they aren't really enough to make me stick with a show that just lost whatever serious story cred it had. Although, in a lot of ways the photo shoot wasn't even the worst thing about this episode. It was actually that for about the 3rd episode in a row, nothing bloody happened. They spent 2/3rd of it just kinda dicking about, hanging around, etc and then they had another one off little skirmish with absolutely no meaningful results on anything.
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:36 am Reply with quote

spoiler[Out of sync problems.
It's certainly taking its toll.
They totally overemphasized the whole thing.
Felt like they were just stretching the plot.
For an anime like this, there is an obvious lack of action.
Seems like they put in action only a few short minutes per episode.
I want to see more about Hina - Aoba story.
They just ditched that, at least for now. Maybe next time..]
stephen12

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:13 pm Reply with quote
It seems interesting.. I'm gonna watch it! Hehe.. thanks! Very Happy Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8