• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Witch Craft Works (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ohoni

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:03 am Reply with quote
Hey, what's the personality type of Kagari called? Like it isn't Tsundare, but is there a name for that kind of trope where she's just super deadpan all the time?
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:49 am Reply with quote
Well I would at a glance say kuudere, those are the types that appear cold emotionless like a robot from the outside, but are actually quite emotional on the inside. Kagari's practically obsessive emotions despite how deadpan she is seem to show her as a particularly strong kuudere.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:20 am Reply with quote
'Cept I would call Kagari a kewldere 'coz she's so kewl.

Argggh, it was so frustrating only seeing brief glimpses of the Tower Witch 5 this eppie, but even in their tiny exposure, they were able to wring some laughs.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:17 am Reply with quote
Thanks.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:16 am Reply with quote
WhiteHairGirls wrote:
I found an interesting article on this show. According to the article this was suppose to be a yuri manga.

That article answered a number of questions that have been puzzling me. I was in the same head space as Ohoni:

Ohoni wrote:
Hey, what's the personality type of Kagari called? Like it isn't Tsundare, but is there a name for that kind of trope where she's just super deadpan all the time?

I don't think Kagari is unique. There have been an uncountable number of female characters who actually physically dominate the male lead but I don't recall any of them treating the male lead as a waifu. The trope model is more like Love Hina or Girls Bravo where the guy is basically a punching bag. Yet Kagari absolutely does treat our doofus as a good guy would be expected to treat a dependent female.

Well good for them for coming up with something new.

I have bookmarked that blog. Whomever is writing it seems to know his/her stuff.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:53 pm Reply with quote
I do like the idea of traditional gender roles being played with in that Kagari is the bigger person and the protector. She definitely seems like the type of person who'd coddle and pamper Takamiya while maintaining control, and I'm sure many guys would love to have relationships where they're not in charge. Taking it further, if you're going question gender roles, question ALL OF THEM; I want to get proposed to and get that diamond ring.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:41 am Reply with quote
Episode 7

Kagari really is a little impulsive, her idea of keeping Medusa was to spoiler[keep her mouth shut about Honoka], but also planning some sort of spoiler[fusion with Medusa to make herself stronger]. Although it kind of spoiler[failed as it took away the specialty of invincibility], her mother also kind of failed in not spoiler[seeing why Kagari would team up thinking Kagari was being made a successor]. Of course the fail five spoiler[also fell for it].

Have to say the best bit is when Kagari came up with the bright idea tospoiler[ fight her mother, but her mother] just got spoiler[annoyed for the damage and acted as if she threw a tantrum from being given a timeout]. Oh, and Honoka's spoiler[power making him and Kagari swap places with the button] going flying from her spoiler[in his clothes]. There was quite a few fanservice like scenes this episode. And for the Witches remarking on how dedicated she is.
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:27 am Reply with quote
Episode 7:

spoiler[Kagari and her mom sure has some issues. Medusa also made her return] and she didn't waste any time at all not that I'm surprised. The typical episode I guess with some fan service. The action wasn't as decent as I had thought imo.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:33 am Reply with quote
spoiler[Kagari] sure had an interesting bunch in her room.
They seemed pretty ungrateful though.
Has spoiler[Ayaka] gone to the dark side?
She has gone way too far to protect spoiler[Takamiya].
Those two have gotten themselves in serious trouble.
Interesting episode, yet slightly weird.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:55 pm Reply with quote
I have to admit I have a bit of a soft spot for type-A gals who enjoy a bit of torture now and then. Committing it, that is.
Bango

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:54 am Reply with quote
That was fun. A friend of mine has a thing for tall girls so I suggested this one to him. He responded by saying "Is it like the last one you recommended, where the girl was basically a loli but she was only taller than the guy because he was practically a chibi?"

Speaking of things, damn, spoiler[a witch hat+cloak and nothing else]. I've gotta remember that one because that combo was awesome.

I'm glad they had a good reason for the Tower 5 and Medusa to be there but I think it would've been hilarious if they were actually hiding out and nobody at the house knew they were there. This wouldn't have helped story-wise but it would've been so absurd:) It's possible. My old house had a spare room and the door eventually got stuck and went over a year without being opened. Which reminds me, I need to finish Penguindrum sometime.

I'm glad I was never a cop because stuff like spoiler[agencies coming and taking what little fun my job had for their own would seriously piss me off. I feel for ya, Kazune.]

The time-out room was both funny and disturbing. I'm glad they included it.

Man, that ending panorama is going to be really crowded by the time this show is done.
Rizr

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 4:02 pm Reply with quote
The main page for this series states that one of the themes of this show is harem. I don't think that's actually correct. Is there a reason it was added?
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:28 am Reply with quote
Rizr wrote:
The main page for this series states that one of the themes of this show is harem. I don't think that's actually correct. Is there a reason it was added?

Because if multiple girls are in a show it must obviously be a harem, even if only one of the girls has any romantic interest in the male protagonist. HaruhiToy and others were guilty of this line of thinking just earlier in this thread. I guess it's just a reflex now to label something a harem based on low information.
Papochulo

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:38 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
The lead is more proactive than the average harem guy, and the group of girls after him are more over-the-top evil badguys than they are harem girls. I'm personally finding the show very amusing.

When do the episodes come out in Japan? They're released on Wednesdays on CR, so I don't get how anyone's seen ep 4 yet.

CR isn't always the first to get new episodes and other sites can get them first, like PhotoKano a couple of seasons back, or more recently Monogatari.
Papochulo

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:00 pm Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
Episode 5:

Now isn't Takamiya's mom an interesting one. She wants spoiler[her kid to marry her friend's child because they were that close but couldn't marry since they are both women.]

The episode felt so fast...well, the battle part anyways.

I'm curious about how much does mom know about what going on? She doesn't seem to know anything about witches, including her own daughter being one despite having a live teddy bear running around her home. She went to school with Kagari's mother, the head witch, but it was also mentioned earlier that this head witch is several centuries old. Did Kagari's mother go to that school pretending to be a teenager in order to get close to Takamiya's mother for some future purpose?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9