• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Crowdsourcing - Anime/Manga/Merch.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
publicenemy333

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:07 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I'm still waffling over Mai Mai Miracle. I'd like to own it, but not sure if I'm willing to shell out $55 to do so.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/alltheanime/mai-mai-miracle/posts/751970

They're gonna put a new tier for a regular edition tomorrow
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Interesting. I'm pretty sure I'll snap up the early bird $30 version.
st_owly

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:01 am Reply with quote
I just checked the update on Kickstarter, and I noticed that someone had pulled out of the $45 early bird tier, presumably to wait for the $30 pledge, so I dropped my pledge from $55. I feel kind of bad, but the project is funded several times over and I'm very very skint at the moment.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:08 am Reply with quote
Hurricane Polymar only has one week left to reach its goal at Anime Sols.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:43 am Reply with quote
Well, Mai Mai Miracle hit its second stretch goal. Its currently at $75, 462 with 15 days to go. Just waiting to see if they will add other pledge levels and a new stretch goal.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:23 pm Reply with quote
Went for the $30 pledge.
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:02 pm Reply with quote
Anime Sols Mami disc replacement and box 2 update news. Speaking of Mami 19 days left for it, and only 2 for Polymar.

Update: They don't say what that entails yet, but Sols just tweeted about a special promotion for the final Mami boxset with the OAVs.

Also, Animeigo emphasized on their FB that the BGC Blu-Rays are not region-locked, but that you can't buy them, if you're living in Japan, Taiwan, or China. [Unless you got a pen-pal, of course.]
One-Eye

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:06 pm Reply with quote
Mai Mai Miracle added additional rewards for the $250 level:

Quote:
Additional Rewards For The $250 Tier & An Update!

We've got some exciting news for backers of the $250 tier - we're adding extra rewards! For those backing the $250 reward level you will get:

Collector's Edition DVD + BD
Art Book
Exclusive Cinema Quad - using box art and exclusive to the Kickstarter
Everything in the $130 tier
All the digital extras
AND Exclusive B4 size giclee print signed by Sunao Katabuchi himself!
AND A special thanks as Associate Producers of the English Mai Mai Miracle Release

That's right! We're adding a gorgeous high quality giclee print signed by Katabuchi-san and exclusive to this Kickstarter! We've included some images of the print that will be used below for you to check out. We're thrilled to be able to offer this as an additional reward for those of you taking the chance and backing us at this tier level. Thank you so much for your generosity and support! The $250 tier is really shaping up to be the collector's tier with all the limited edition rewards you're getting!

I wish they'd do something at the $130 level too as that would get me to increase my pledge level. The $250 level is a little too pricey for my tastes and the Cinema Quad poster is impractical for my new living arrangements. The signed B4 giclee is nice though.

They slowed up for a bit, but pledges seem to have picked up again the last few days. I wasn't sure for awhile if they were going to make 75K and now its at $82,981. 90K seems possible with 8 more days to go, but it may require another incentive.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:10 am Reply with quote
Mami only has $10,000 to reach its goal, but only 16 days to reach it. And right now, I'm guessing the dude running Sols is saying, "Thanks for nothing" to all those fans who lied in that poll that they'd totally buy Polymar if it it was crowdfunded. Rolling Eyes
Fronzel

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:15 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Mami only has $10,000 to reach its goal, but only 16 days to reach it. And right now, I'm guessing the dude running Sols is saying, "Thanks for nothing" to all those fans who lied in that poll that they'd totally buy Polymar if it it was crowdfunded. Rolling Eyes

I can't remember; did they release the results for that poll?

I can't help but wonder if some people just forgot about Anime Sols because it's been dead quiet for months now. If someone didn't bookmark it a while back I can easily see them forgetting to ever check back.
Mylene

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 1:18 pm Reply with quote
Aside from what the fans themselves are doing, Anime Sols has very little visibility. They haven't put enough into marketing, and that's really hurting the site as a whole. Not enough people know about it, and since it isn't a known quantity there are probably plenty who are antsy about pledging.

That's not to say there is just a huge demand for classic anime, but I think there's more that just doesn't know the site exists.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:50 pm Reply with quote
Mylene:
Quote:
They haven't put enough into marketing,

Not true at all.

Quote:
and that's really hurting the site as a whole. Not enough people know about it,

Again, bullshit. How many people know about Mai Mai Miracle? Fans just don't want to support anything which isn't Kickstarter, even if their personal info is compromised. Total sheep.
zawa113

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:15 pm Reply with quote
Kickstarter has way more scribers to it. I'm mostly going on a good guess of how much money a Kickstarter gets vs Anime Sols gets. It definitely needs more subscribers (that will pay for series). I was suspicious at first myself, though now that they have a set out, that should hopefully give people more confidence in them. I bid for Dear Brother sets 1 and 2 (and Black Jack set 2 with add-on set 1). But now I'm wondering when pledging for sets 3 on both are going to start.

I think that they need more advertising, I had no idea it existed until well after it started. A website with Tezuka anime and I had no clue! I think I found out around Dear Brother's start.

@GATSU
You claim they've put plenty into marketing, but I can't think of any real instances of seeing ads or anything on websites. I don't even remember how I found out about it, if it was an advertisement, I certainly don't remember (I wanna say I read about it in one of my manga blogs and that brought attention to it for me). So it seems to be mostly spreading by word of mouth if you ask me. Which can be fine, but can also take a while.
Mylene

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:50 am Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:

You claim they've put plenty into marketing, but I can't think of any real instances of seeing ads or anything on websites. I don't even remember how I found out about it, if it was an advertisement, I certainly don't remember (I wanna say I read about it in one of my manga blogs and that brought attention to it for me). So it seems to be mostly spreading by word of mouth if you ask me. Which can be fine, but can also take a while.

I believe when Creamy Mami set 1 was struggling and down to the wire they did a little media blitz of sorts. A video was posted, ANN did a mention, and there may have been a couple of ads on Crunchyroll, etc. Since then though, there's been pretty close to a marketing silence. The reliance on fans not only to fund the sets but also to advertise the site/sets is not helping them get the sets funded. Also that it keeps taking until the last second to fund things doesn't help much either. I've backed Creamy Mami, Dear Brother, and the failed Pastel Yumi. I'm also anxiously awaiting the pledge period for the final Dear Brother set.

Edit: Changed Pastel Yumi to Creamy Mami. Got my squishy shoujo names crossed up.

Last edited by Mylene on Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:13 am Reply with quote
zawa:
Quote:
It definitely needs more subscribers (that will pay for series).

Unless you charge for it, subscribers don't guarantee shit in terms of actual revenue. What it needs is people who are serious about supporting it, instead of being dicks who request shows they will never buy and which they know no one else will buy. See also: the lurkers on the AnimeOnDVD forums.

Quote:
You claim they've put plenty into marketing, but I can't think of any real instances of seeing ads or anything on websites.

They advertised on Crunchyroll and they got reps from Tezuka and Pierrot to speak for them. It was on ANN.

Mylene:
Quote:
The reliance on fans not only to fund the sets but also to advertise the site/sets is not helping them get the sets funded.

Only because the fans are snobby, and think that Kickstarter is the best ever, even when it gets hacked.

Quote:
Also that it keeps taking until the last second to fund things doesn't help much either.

That's because the fans keep waiting 'til the last second. Which gives me the perfect reason to segue into the current update. Mami only has two weeks now to be funded.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 30