• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Magical Warfare (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:18 am Reply with quote
I want to be clear: I'm not dropping this because they made a dumb "I just want the white stuff in your body" joke. I'm dropping it because they have such a complete lack of respect for the intelligence of their audience that they then proceeded to have the other girl butt in to point out the poor phrasing and then had the main character repeat it in his head a half dozen times before finally blushing just to make absolutely sure we got it.

P.S. A show this bad has no right to have something as great as a humanoid crocodile in a suit and hat in it so I'm officially revoking their permission. I have the power to do that.
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:30 am Reply with quote
^
You've got the wrong thread. This thread is for Magical Warfare. The Witch Craft Works thread is over there.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:11 am Reply with quote
Ah, crap, you're right. This dopey, terribly written, show about magicians with no respect for its audience is being dropped because of awful exposition. There were no semen jokes. Yet.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:06 am Reply with quote
Yeah, a full exposition episode without any action at all is pretty brutal. I'll stick around to see if there's an uptick.

Anyone wanna bet that Twilight's (oi) previous female owner who now may be living life as a normal human is spoiler[MC's mom]?
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:37 am Reply with quote
Episode 2

Well I am not experience the negative feelings that others seem to be, I was not bothered by a heap of exposition. My first question at seeing the destroyed city being an alternate world was "how long has this existed", as it did not make sense that there would happen to be such a place just exist. So I was rather happy that we got a full explanation of it all, I can hold off on some action until the characters become better fighters.

One thing I also noticed at a couple places is that I rather liked the music, the ED performer, nano, having done BTOOOM's OP and some songs in Arpeggio of Blue Steel, all of which are some good songs, I think I am a fan. The one in charge of music seemed to also do Arpeggio, there were a couple track I quite liked in the episode , the one that starts around 18 minutes being one.

I will likely stick with this, I have a good feeling, it does not deserve the dropped gif. Well not such a good feeling that I know it won't be mediocre, but I feel better than early episodes than Accel World, which I am not sure why I feel like comparing the two.
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:41 am Reply with quote
This season is rough, 5 continuing series, and 20 new ones (not counting shorts) that I am following. Unike past seasons, nothing is outright terrible to me, but nothing is actually 'good' either. Nevertheless, cuts have to be made, I can not keep this pace, especially with my 1000 episode owned but unwatched backlog mocking me.

I had actually thought about dropping this one after the 1st episode, as I enjoyed Witchcraft works more. After the 2nd episode of each, this one does not make the cut, and Witchcraft is on the edge and is probably a cut as well.

I will let others pioneer, and will pick it up again later if I hear good things, like I did with Log Horizon, which I initially dismissed without even watching, but am now enjoying.
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:14 pm Reply with quote
It's nice they provided all the info this time.
So far the plot is kinda predictable.
Those three switched one school for another.
It's ok though, but can't wait to see more fights.
So far it's looking good.
There were a few hints that the plot will be very interesting soon.
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:47 pm Reply with quote
Yeah this episode was terrible. Exposition is nice but when that exposition is about as dull and cliche as humanely possible i really don't see the point.

This is some Fairy Tail level story telling. Having a random number of great warriors stopping a threat to humanity. Wow how long did it take for them to come up with that?

Also the rule that the ancient magician made still doesn't make sense. Why would you make it so magicians can't fight each other in the human world? That's basically saying that a magician can just go do whatever they want in the world of humans. Destroying building, blowing up plants etc. they can basically get away with ALL of this because the law does nothing to stop them. Does no one seriously see how retarded that is? Has anyone at the school questioned this in class?
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:17 pm Reply with quote
leatherhead333 wrote:

Also the rule that the ancient magician made still doesn't make sense. Why would you make it so magicians can't fight each other in the human world? That's basically saying that a magician can just go do whatever they want in the world of humans. Destroying building, blowing up plants etc. they can basically get away with ALL of this because the law does nothing to stop them. Does no one seriously see how retarded that is? Has anyone at the school questioned this in class?

They can't use their special powers in the real world because then they would lose their powers. I think they can only use their weapons, which probably wouldn't cause much destruction. Also the winner of the war will get the untouched world as the prize. Why would they purposely mess up their prize?
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:28 pm Reply with quote
I think his issue is that in theory a magic user can still subvert this rule by indirectly killing people with magic, such as creating some sort of device that is powered by magic but shoots out lethal amounts of radiation or something similar (unless the spell compensates for the obvious subversion).
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:34 pm Reply with quote
WhiteHairGirls wrote:
leatherhead333 wrote:

They can't use their special powers in the real world because then they would lose their powers. I think they can only use their weapons, which probably wouldn't cause much destruction. Also the winner of the war will get the untouched world as the prize. Why would they purposely mess up their prize?

They have not stated that using magic in the real world would make them lose their magic. It's only if they use their magic on other magicians that will cause them to lose their powers. The reason the guy with the poison bees lost is powers was because he attacked Mui who was a magican. However his attack landed a small nick on the blonde girl which if untreated could have killed her.

Basically this is BIG loophole that magicians can exploit. And the law stopping them from using magic on each other does pretty much nothing to protect humans should magicians decide to start blowing up buildings and junk.

And i'm pretty sure they wanted peaceful coexistence with humans so properly protecting them doesn't sound silly to me at all. But they obviously failed to do that with such an absurd law.

Edit: @Fenix

That's also another problem as well.
Miranox

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:00 pm Reply with quote
everydaygamer wrote:
I like the show. So is this gonna be the show of the season that is decent but gets hit with alot of hate?

There are worse anime airing right now *cough* Z/X Ignition *cough* but that doesn't immunize Magical Warfare from criticism. I calls 'em like I sees 'em.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:48 pm Reply with quote
Miranox wrote:
everydaygamer wrote:
I like the show. So is this gonna be the show of the season that is decent but gets hit with alot of hate?

There are worse anime airing right now *cough* Z/X Ignition *cough* but that doesn't immunize Magical Warfare from criticism. I calls 'em like I sees 'em.

normally when a show get alot of hate that can also mean it';s popular too. The worst show normally gets no hate and no talk.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:20 pm Reply with quote
The main issue is that Magical Warfare as an adaptation does not understand the concept of "show, don't tell", compare and contrast to the first couple episodes in Strike the Blood that instead of dedicating scenes that show that Yukina is unadjusted to city life that she made a lengthy exposition about it instead of having say the comical scene of going visiting a hardware store and Yukina making incorrect observations about what could be purchased at said store.

Had Magical Warfare been edited better, the exposition would have been made in a class room setting because the leads are ending up in a Magical Academy ANYWAY.
Miranox

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:37 am Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:
Miranox wrote:

normally when a show get alot of hate that can also mean it';s popular too. The worst show normally gets no hate and no talk.

This is true but I doubt Magical Warfare is going to get the popularity that other Madhouse shows have. Looking at their history, this show is currently rated near the bottom of the list with a barely above average score.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7