• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Super Sonico The Animation (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shikiari

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:39 pm Reply with quote
Episode 4

I really enjoyed this episode. It reminded me very much of vintage K-ON!, which to me is a good thing.

spoiler[In a quick summary, the episode focuses on how Sonico joined the High School Light Music Club after meeting Tomano Kyouko, who taught her how to play the guitar. I liked Toma alot and hope we get to see more of her in the future. I also thought "Daydream" as the name of her guitar was pretty cute.]

spoiler[There were two parts of notable fan service - A photograph of Sonico, Toma and others in bikinis and one small scene of Sonico in the bath.]

Overall, I thought it was a nice change from the fan service crazy the show went to last week with some sweet and tender moments. I'm hoping this trend continues but after seeing the preview for next week, it looks like this won't be the case. Rolling Eyes
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:20 am Reply with quote
Episode 4

I would say there was a bit of feels in this episode, which is success.
Shikiari

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:35 pm Reply with quote
Episode 5

Well I was wrong about the fan service returning. It was a nice little episode, but that was about it.

spoiler[The was an underlying message of - If you love doing something even if you're not the best at it, you should still do it anyway.]

Those three guys in Sonico's grandmothers shop are just plain bonkers.

The ED was quite creepy. It looked like Sonico was animated using old school Thunderbirds puppet strings.

spoiler[I couldn't help notice, but were Sonico's 'Proportions' out of scale during the bath scene? I mean she's a 'big' girl, but that big?]

spoiler[They've also jumped on the Zombie bandwagon next week, but at least there are swimsuits involved. Laughing]
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:36 am Reply with quote
Shikiari wrote:
The ED was quite creepy. It looked like Sonico was animated using old school Thunderbirds puppet strings.[/spoiler]

I don't know, at first I thought the whole people in costumes thing looked horrible, but when I saw how her model looked I actually liked the general clip. I felt that it had some personality and the frame rate seemed higher than usual.

Episode 5

I liked the message, it was a nice episode.
TehDarkPrince

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:48 am Reply with quote
Shikiari wrote:
Episode 5

Well I was wrong about the fan service returning. It was a nice little episode, but that was about it.

spoiler[The was an underlying message of - If you love doing something even if you're not the best at it, you should still do it anyway.]

Those three guys in Sonico's grandmothers shop are just plain bonkers.

The ED was quite creepy. It looked like Sonico was animated using old school Thunderbirds puppet strings.

spoiler[I couldn't help notice, but were Sonico's 'Proportions' out of scale during the bath scene? I mean she's a 'big' girl, but that big?]

spoiler[They've also jumped on the Zombie bandwagon next week, but at least there are swimsuits involved. Laughing]

I looked up the ED, which I assume is this: http://youtu.be/5ixi7Rp1m5c

I wouldn't characterize it as you did; it doesn't remind me of Thunderbirds or by extension, Team America. What's likely going is that whoever is handling the CG used the straight mo-cap data, with very little if any clean up by an animator. I think it has to do with the amount of time the animators had, relative to whats going on in the ED, which is a long, continuous, full body dance sequence with no cutting.

I didn't watch the episode, but I find that once a character's boobs reach a certain size, are one of those things that are just terribly inconsistent in the vast majority of shows. I remember watching the first episode of Maken-Ki 2, and the main waifu's chest inflates and deflates from cut to cut-- even in the OP. Unless you have a very thorough animation director (or you're aiming for titillation), these things go unnoticed. You can even see it in the Gurren Lagaan groundworks books: without corrections, Yoko's chest would have been much bigger and pointier from scene to scene.
Bango

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:50 pm Reply with quote
Boob size is a common animation inconsistency (less so in still art but it happens there too. Even in figures) because, I believe, artistic license is the playground of horndogs. Basically, many people will draw the character for a show so tiny differences according to taste will be seen. This can also be caused by what I call "comparative boob adjustment." and even I'm guilty of it.

Let's say we know that character A is bigger than B, B is bigger than C, and D is a loli. If an artist decides he doesn't like flat chests so he gives D a bit more than usual, all other girls in the scene will scale up too. Depending on how big A is supposed to be, this can get hilarious.

One of my favourite examples of boob whatsa is my beloved Fate from the Nanoha franchise. There's a scene in Strikers where it shows a family photo and Fate's chest is exploding, made especially funny since she's wearing the same shirt in the photo as she is in the scene and isn't nearly that stacked in the rest of the scene. She's pretty healthy normally but this particular bit is hilarious.

Then of course there's enhancement for effect. If they're being pushed up, thrust out, shown at a favourable angle or otherwise centred for attention that can also effect it.

Sonico is inconsistently drawn herself, but she is always the biggest in the ep.
Shikiari

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:48 pm Reply with quote
Episode 6

Another nice little episode. spoiler[Well I say nice, but it involved zombies hungry for... Food. So I suppose it was different seeing as they weren't actually flesh hungering undead.]

The girls looked particulary cute in their swimsuits, so kudos to whoever designed them. Smile

I really liked this weeks ED. spoiler[Sonico + Swimsuit + Chainsaw + Zombies + Thriller = Success!]

Next week's episodes gave very little away apart from a glimpse of Sonico in a kimono. But as ever, looking forward to it. Razz
TehDarkPrince

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:00 am Reply with quote
I started watching the show after looking at the one ED. I was impressed with 6's ED, they've redone the textures on Sonico's face, added squash and stretch controls to the facial rig, there was some decent expressions this time, better animation overall, and they didn't try to mimic 2D anime with 3's and 4's.

I've noticed that there are subtle references to another mascot that Sonico's designer has drawn called Pochaco, who is basically chubby Sonico, as far I understand it. Look at the beginning of episodes 5, and the random character watching the cruiser from the port in episode 6, and you'll see her, albeit with black hair, no headphones and glasses.
Bango

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:28 pm Reply with quote
Best ED sequence ever!

The episode itself was hilarious too. Yay for more Ouka and I like how, even although Manager's face never changes you can still tell what he's thinking in that scene.

The overall suspense was good too. I like how, when they realized spoiler[the zombies were just after food] they still ran from them on the chance that the zombies might turn cannibal.

This show's got to have more body types in it than any anime I've seen in ages. I was a bit weirded out at how much the BGM during Suzu and Sonico's heart-to-heart sounds like the BGM in my funeral video. That kind of gives a weird feeling.

We needed a dab of craziness in our Sonico.
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:22 pm Reply with quote
Wow ummm i don't think you should trust a luxury boat that only has ONE freaking life boat Shocked . Those things usual have tons of those lol.
Bango

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:45 am Reply with quote
I thought Ouka said it was the last one, meaning there were others but they were already gone. Don't quote me on that, though. Memory is fuzzy on line-by-line stuff.
HeatLegs

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:20 pm Reply with quote
It's really standard moe affair as far as I've seen. But there's no denying that the manager is a really fun character.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 4:46 pm Reply with quote
So, are Ouka's screws on her neck or are they hair accessories?
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:25 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
So, are Ouka's screws on her neck or are they hair accessories?
Actually the result of a balloon animal related incident that also took her eye and permanently stunted her growth.

I assume they are just meant to look like Sonico's headphones.
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:12 pm Reply with quote
Ah, so much slice of feel...

Sonico is living the simple life tbh. I should probably do that sometimes this summer.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5