• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Pilot's Love Song (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bango

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:46 am Reply with quote
Ep 8 -

From the heckling gallery that randomly happened:

"I'll bring her back."
*Takes her away*
Well he's fired.
We need to stop hiring tsundere bodyguards. They never tell us what they're really doing.

*Claire sees the fallen enemy with rifle and helmet*
*takes rifle*
Take the helmet too you dumb, dumb girl!

Don't say "Show me your guts!" to the guy who's flying you into combat!

Could you picture when wind goes through those voice horns, like what would happen all the time in an open-air cockpit?

spoiler[Faust dies, but he was a dick so keep it together Kal!
Wolfgang!? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooooooooo!]

Having never seen the movie, I didn't know who the blue plane was or what it was about, so I assumed it was Claire's dad. This of course got debunked when it showed him at command. I guess I will have to watch that movie before finishing this show.

This is likely the first time I've seen the budget crap out on mouth movements. Everyone's dialogue expressions this episode were really weird. Though Ahri's expression when she took that shot was extremely badass.

While there was lots of death this episode I was kind of disappointed in how it was all handled. Superman's plane was clearly plot-protected. While I'm normally fine with that to some extent it went into the realms of stupid this episode.

However, the scene in the hospital room was extremely well done. Congrats for that.

spoiler[Looks like Claire's cat is out of the bag next episode. Looking forward to how that goes. If Superman were super dumb they could maybe use a Claire impersonator. That'd be funny.]
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:25 am Reply with quote
WhiteHairGirls wrote:
Why didn't the enemy attack them from the bottom when they were all foolishly grouped up in a circle?

Heh, I was thinking the opposite. It seemed suicidal to shoot directly upward at the planes, which then exploded just as they were falling right on top of them! But I agree I didn't see the strategic advantage of grouping in a circle, and even worse flying in single file! Have they never played Space Invaders?

I dunno, this seems like a huge season for spoiler[killing off characters at the mid-point. Aside from the death toll in this episode, I can think of at least 4 other series just this week and last where important characters died (or at least seem to have died).]
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:29 pm Reply with quote
Episode 9:

The first part felt kinda slow but then escalated quickly. A spoiler[kiss between Claire and Kal and then he suddenly realizes she's Nina? What?! Hell, even Ari realizes it too during Nina's after speech.] I kinda find that a bit poorly done imo.

I wonder exactly what spoiler[Ignacio has to say to Kal next time though. I might expect some flashbacks of Ignacio's past, maybe.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Merida

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:19 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, Kal realizing spoiler[that Claire was Nina all of a sudden seemed pretty random...] i was cheering for Ignacio there at the end, but i've got a feeling spoiler[he's probably gonna die and if we should get flashbacks of his past, he's definitely doomed. Don't die Ignacio, i'm gonna miss your silly previews! Laughing]
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:31 pm Reply with quote
Merida wrote:
Yeah, Kal realizing spoiler[that Claire was Nina all of a sudden seemed pretty random...]

I didn't see it as random. spoiler[She knew his real identity and kept reinforcing the idea that she can't see him anymore. She also said that she has been lying to everyone. Then she put on the same facial expression as Nina. It doesn't take a genius to put it all together.] Now Ari finding out was sort of random.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:29 pm Reply with quote
I was thinking Airi would have some permanent damage from the shot she received, spoiler[and it looks it is true as she is becoming a mechanic.] Only just figured out that Fausto's spoiler[father was the general guy when they cut to him when saying Fausto's name].
Bango

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:43 pm Reply with quote
I pinned down what my beef mentioned earlier is. It has nothing to do with animation itself, despite what I thought before. It's that every so often different angle cuts will show a person with a different expression or pose. That's what was jarring me. Normally it doesn't (in live movies too) because I just figure stuff changed when the camera wasn't on them but for some reason it gets me in this.

That was a pretty good ep. I loved how they did the scene where Kal spoiler[realized Claire was Nina from her realizing his identity and then seeing her expression while the flames raged in the distance (pretty well mimicking the image of her that he burned into his mind since childhood)]. I was worried she'd just spoiler[tell him], which would've likely made for a less appealing scene.

Add me to the camp that has no idea how Ari connected them, though. I can't shake the feeling that I'm just forgetting an earlier clue. Ari connects the dots spoiler[when Claire's refereed to as the daughter of Saint Aldista, but I can't remember any times that Claire brought that up in any meaningful way when Ari was around]. At least they were smart enough to make the distance enough that she didn't recognize Incognito right away or that the others wouldn't have heard what spoiler[Ari and Nina were talking about.]

The crowd was funny in that scene though.
*Nina gets back in the carriage*
*Nina gets back out of the carriage*
Crowd: "Oh, it's Nina!"

Yeah, I admit I spent most of the speech scene staring at Nina's tits but wouldn't it be hilarious if people cheered for a celeb as if they had just appeared every time they entered view rather than just when they actually address the audience. "Oh, look! It's Nina-sama!!!!!!" *she walks behind a pillar and passes on the other side* "Oh, look! It's Nina-sama!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Maybe now Fausto's dad will make some better decisions, since his stubborn prejudices basically got his son dead. Yeah, you think about what you've done, old man!

Looking forward to next week to see Kal get out of his rut. Also looking forward to Incognito beating the crap out of him. I don't hate Kal, I just hate overly mopey heroes, even when their emo streak is fairly well deserved like Kal's is.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:40 pm Reply with quote
Are you purposely calling him Incognito instead of Ignacio?
Bango

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:40 pm Reply with quote
Beltane70 wrote:
Are you purposely calling him Incognito instead of Ignacio?

This is true.

EDIT: For the record, I also purposely call Kal Superman (if I ever do call him Kal, it's because I outright forget to call him Superman). Charles Vi Brittania from Code Geass is usually Chuckles, Dante from Devil May Cry also gets a false name from me, but it's only when spoken, not written, as an in-joke with a friend of mine. So the Dante one will never apply here.
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:32 pm Reply with quote
Episode 10:

Decent episode and I liked how some of the supporting characters getting more spotlights in this war. I do smell some death flags so if anyone dies next episode, I wouldn't be surprised. I got a feeling spoiler[Benjamin] or spoiler[Noriaki] might be one of them. Just a speculation here though.

Igancio was also pretty badass imo. I wonder how he learned those skills. But at this rate, their partnership in combat reminds me a little of Dio/Aoba from Buddy Complex since neither have a good friendship but are able to fight at level that ensures their survival. spoiler[In any case, I also wonder if that blue jet fighter will make another cameo. If so, then maybe we won't see any more of Kal's friends die.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:10 pm Reply with quote
Ignacio's ability to spoiler[shoot down fighters without even pointing the gun in their general direction is amazing.]
Merida

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:29 pm Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
Ignacio's ability to spoiler[shoot down fighters without even pointing the gun in their general direction is amazing.]

That's because he's got a really big spoiler[gun], he explained it in the preview... Wink

And yes, my money is on spoiler[Benji to die next, Noriaki might be able to survive since he didn't actually get kissed by a girl...] it would be nice if they were raising all those death flags just to fool us for once, but the show doesn't really seem...subtle enough for that.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:59 pm Reply with quote
They could just get sex change operations, since women seem immune to death in this war.
starstriker197

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:22 pm Reply with quote
i think there will be more episodes after it or new anime in same universe and i want to see more of this and i can just let anime go from Starstriker197 and there was post to be 13 episodes in gaist crusher but got extended more episodes so and i am predicting the girls will come back to help them fight and i want to more and its sound like good series and i dont want it to end yet
Beltane70

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:21 pm Reply with quote
Just being a bit nitpicky, Stark700, but none of the planes in this series are jet powered.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 9 of 12