• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Pilot's Love Song (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:02 am Reply with quote
Beltane70 wrote:
Just being a bit nitpicky, Stark700, but none of the planes in this series are jet powered.

Oops, I meant just meant fighter.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:16 am Reply with quote
Episode 10

Death flags! (I kind of imagine saying it like Krieger saying "Jazz hands")

There is supposed to be only two episodes left, and I don't quite feel as invested as I should. Kind of like they got the pacing off with only getting close to some characters now.
Bango

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:24 pm Reply with quote
Some pretty epic visual screwups this ep. With special bonus points to the already-mentioned Incognito awesome gun skillz. It was still enjoyable though. I have absolutely no idea how they're going to pull a remotely decent ending in 2 episodes though. As far we we know they're still nowhere near their goal.

EDIT: I'm not going to use it but if anyone wants to use this awesome screenshot of background Ari for an avatar, go right ahead.
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:32 am Reply with quote
In episode #9, everyone continues to be such a drama queen, which is totally atypical in the times of conflict. In reality people get numb very quickly, they do not stop eating breakfasts, they do not go into hysterics. spoiler[In reality yellow-haired guy would be immediately healed of his depression, even if he had one, by being thrown to punishment cell and/or to forced labour penal battalion. No one would let him just stay in his room with the stupid "I hate everyone" attitude or whatever nonsense he entertains himself with.] Reactions of people in such conditions are different than in the times of peace. So this falsehood keeps cheapen storytelling.

getchman wrote:
right, I'm sure every single person in history who has ever been to war has never been terrified and hasn't made some sort of wish that everything will be ok.

Not at the time when every moment is absolutely critical.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:30 am Reply with quote
What the heck? Are you a war veteran? Or are you just basing this off from Call of Duty.......
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:46 am Reply with quote
My grandfathers were war veterans, and I also happen to know a lot on how things go from other memoirs and scientific researches.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:58 pm Reply with quote
the people in charge greatly underestimated the enemy strength, so I have no reason to believe that they thought far enough ahead to implement what you are suggesting they should do to Superman. that, and it's fiction so I'm not sure why you expect it to mirror real life procedures.
Bango

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:34 am Reply with quote
I was half sure Claire was going to spoiler[die by having her head pureed by a fighter's propeller] for a second there.

A song by Claire, eh?... so "Konya wa Hurricane"! Hellz yeah! Except not, of course. Sad but fair. I was actually surprised that they didn't use an insert song there but I'm really glad they didn't. I don't give this show much credit (I'm actually amazed I didn't drop it and Z/X) but pacing is one thing I think it's done fairly well. An insert song would've killed that for that scene. Though they could've gotten away with something quick like the transformation songs in Symphogear. Not necessary though.

Considering how much I drooled over Nina's design, I must say that while I prefer the wig, Claire looks very fine in the outfit without it. But man, is that wig superglued to her head or something? I also laughed how spoiler[removing the wig also removed the earrings and makeup]. I think I've said before how I find stuff like that more hilarious than I probably should.

Also, d'ayum the spoiler[El Bastel] looks freakin cool! I alwaysed loved those spoiler[reversed wings.]
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:40 pm Reply with quote
Episode 11:

So we see that spoiler[blue fighter] again.

But anyways, the spoiler[death flag was burned this week! Benjamin and Noriaki survived! I was somewhat surprised given the death flags especially for Benjamin. Anyways, decent episode although I find Claire/Nina's confession to be a little odd. Well, I do respect her power.]

One episode left. One major part in this series that I think might have a bit trouble resolving is Ignacio and Karl.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Merida

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:15 am Reply with quote
Is it bad that i snickered madly through most of the OMG, DRAMA! in this episode? I definitely lost it once that rainbow appeared...is this show trying to set a new record for cheesiness? It's still (or maybe because of this?) strangely entertaining.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:27 am Reply with quote
Episode 11

Ignacio: "spoiler[Why is he so lucky]?"
Umm Ignacio, his entire family was killed with the country cheering, he himself hated for no good reason, and had to save himself by changing his identity, and actually struggled quite a bit. And lets not forget that Ignacio apparently has amazing marksmen abilities and is Kal's biological half brother, so he is being a bit hypocritical.

Can you imagine how messed up those kids are going to be, not that anime usually shows PTSD.
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:34 am Reply with quote
It's about time we got the Wind Power "deus ex" out of the way. I think the fact that Claire didn't have it kind of served as her plot armor so to speak. It really wouldn't have made sense to kill her off yet.

That would be like saying "Hey I can use this amazing power that pretty much makes the laws of physics my slut but i guess that factor is completely irrelevant now". I originally thought she was going to get it back after seeing Karl get hurt or something generic like that but end result was somehow even more cheesy.

Good.
Cerceaux

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:15 pm Reply with quote
I like how when Claire pulled her wig off, her makeup and earrings magically disappeared as well. Laughing
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:28 am Reply with quote
Episode 12:

Well, that was worth it.
Merida

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:23 am Reply with quote
For some reason i thought this was the last ep. and the cheesiness level seemed to indicate this as well spoiler[with sakura petals, pointless screaming and" the end of the sky~" (even Ignacio got a bit sentimental!),] but well, i have enough faith in the show by now that i'm sure it's gonna be able to top this next week...

Short rant ahead: spoiler[was that odd swing scene supposed to mean that Ariel had more than sisterly feelings for Kal? Please tell me i misinterpreted it...if not: can't there be just one anime where two people not related by blood grow up with each other and none of them develops romantic feelings for the other?!Rolling Eyes]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 10 of 12