• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Nisekoi (TV) (both seasons).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
A Mystery

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:16 am Reply with quote
I never really liked Shaft works, but I adored this episode, despite not being that original in a lot of aspects (though the main characters didn't have a seat near the window Wink ). I guess it's just executed well. Also laughed at the Sayonara Zetsubou reference spoiler[(during the 'seventh' time with Kirisaki)].
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:39 pm Reply with quote
eh, this was ok. Not entirely sure what I was expecting, but I blame Neon Alley for making me expect anything
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:07 pm Reply with quote
I liked what I saw but as a Shaft fan, I believe it's mandatory for me to like it although everything's a lot more normal than usual. What's worrying me is the WSJ pedigree; I'm not a fan of their approach to managing stories.

Also, I don't expect things to play out according to what we were
shown. I have to say seeing reviewers in the Spotlight think it was "simple as that " was heartening in a way.

Good comedy, good acting, great direction, questionable source material ... can you spot the weak link? I see there are fans of the manga here but ever since Bakuman's "WSJ is your god and master" story, I stay away from all of their series. Personally, I'm expecting this title to pull a Medaka around episode 8 but just maybe people didn't vote for mindless, tedious excitement/comedy.

*looks at show where girl punched, kicked and almost punched again male lead*

Well, there's always the direction.
Bango

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:38 pm Reply with quote
<---SHAFT fan. Naturally I loved the visuals and directing style. I love the funky architecture, the quick scene cuts, the odd-angled close-ups of people turning their heads as the wind blows. Yeah, SHAFT fan.

The show itself wasn't bad, I guess. The big problem is that I'm already tired of the two leads. I'm hoping it builds well enough soon. I mentioned in the predictions topic but now that I know spoiler[everyone gets keys I'm not looking forward to being dragged around by the nose as it spends time with each girl and how they're all potential "girl from his past" no matter how much this episode made it look like it's totally the classmate.] The overall plot and characters have to be extremely interesting for me to put up with that again.

I'll give it 3 more eps because SHAFT gets special treatment and the episode wasn't exactly bad.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:53 pm Reply with quote
Bango wrote:

The show itself wasn't bad, I guess. The big problem is that I'm already tired of the two leads. I'm hoping it builds well enough soon. I mentioned in the predictions topic but now that I know spoiler[everyone gets keys I'm not looking forward to being dragged around by the nose as it spends time with each girl and how they're all potential "girl from his past" no matter how much this episode made it look like it's totally the classmate.] The overall plot and characters have to be extremely interesting for me to put up with that again.

Well to be fair, one of the reasons I liked reading the manga was because there is no clear-cut main girl. Most harems I have seen has a girl that is going to be the obvious winner from the first episode, even if it ended with a harem ending. Honestly any of the females have a good shot at winning.
Bango

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:54 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad to hear that. Three of my favourite plot twists are "it's NOT the half-sister!?", "it's NOT the violent tsundere loli?" or "it's NOT the childhood friend!?"

Seriously, spoiler[Shuffle may not have been amazing but when Rin said "Forget you, childhood friend. You're a $#%ing psycho. I'm going for the girl who's not even one of your two major rivals!"] it blew my mind. It morphed my soul. I knew... I knew that there was hope. That somewhere in Japan there were writers who say "let's spice this up!"
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:59 pm Reply with quote
Bango wrote:
I'm glad to hear that. Three of my favourite plot twists are "it's NOT the half-sister!?", "it's NOT the violent tsundere loli?" or "it's NOT the childhood friend!?"

Seriously, spoiler[Shuffle may not have been amazing but when Rin said "Forget you, childhood friend. You're a $#%ing psycho. I'm going for the girl who's not even one of your two major rivals!"] it blew my mind. It morphed my soul. I knew... I knew that there was hope. That somewhere in Japan there were writers who say "let's spice this up!"

I know that was exactly the reason why I loved that show and why I enjoyed spoiler[Mashiroiro Symphony]
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:10 am Reply with quote
Visual Novel Kaede is calm and boring. haven't finished her route yet, but I like her anime incarnation better
Bango

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:34 am Reply with quote
All that was anime-only? Wow. I'm super glad because that was fantastic but I'm still surprised. Now I'm wondering if spoiler[Gift] was the same because, while I barely remember it, I remember thinking one girl's breakdown seemed a little odd.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:54 am Reply with quote
The plot of this one so far is pretty standard fare but the characters so far are likeable, or at least interesting, which is always nice.

The definite selling point now is how good it looks. I didn't find it distracting at all and the obvious sign of effort increases my faith that the series will be wel handled. Definitely one of the ones I'm most interested in this season after episode 1.
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:38 pm Reply with quote

spoiler[Decided to give this one another chance.
The way those two fight, it's obvious they like each other.
Darn, those yakuza are scary.
They are totally stuck with being a couple lie.
Well, it's not like they completely dislike each other.
Their date was a joke.
Looks like those two have reversed the roles.
Poor Onodera got caught in the middle of their farce.
Well, I'm dropping this for good now.]
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:09 pm Reply with quote
Finally watched the first episode. Seemed decent but as soon as I saw spoiler[the two keys] in the ED I didn't feel like watching more. The premise was stupid enough and spoiler[the HanaKana girl not being able to say anything despite already knowing how much the lock and the promise meant to the dude] was already making me hate the show, but that was just too much.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 3:27 pm Reply with quote
I'm still kinda getting used to the Shaft style.

The latest episode was amusing though with the spoiler[pretend couple and darling talk.] Chitoge's face expressions were glorious especially when spoiler[she hates getting being hit on by other guys.]

The OP song is pretty nice as well and I'm liking most of the characters besides Raku so far. Hopefully they introduce more soon but looking forward to next week's episode!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:38 pm Reply with quote
Was he trying to feed a snake dog food?
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:34 pm Reply with quote
I can see the premise getting pretty old fast unless they throw something new into the mix. You have to pretend to be a couple to avert a gang war but supposedly you don't like each other. Got it. Next?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 24