• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Fractale Helmer Yamamoto Asks for Halt on Manga Version

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lightning Leo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:27 pm Reply with quote
Also gotta keep in mind (just occurred to me), that sometimes one of the valuable intangible assets of a company is its brand. Employees are often (whether on the clock or not) expected to be good stewards of the company reputation/image.

Ms. Akazaki is entitled to say what she wishes, but was it the right way of handling her problems? She wasn't doing right by the company that was paying her, and what she's done can hurt the series creators, her co-workers, and the company profits. It's embarrassing and shameful to have a paid employee announce to the world that your creative product sucks, especially in such a volatile and risky market. As a customer I was initially interested in this series, but now am going to pass on this, so that's a lost sale already, and that's felt by the entire project team.

There are many professional ways she could have vented her frustration constructively, like speaking with supervisors/co-workers, asking someone to help with the work, or leaving the project altogether. Openly disparaging one of the company products directly to the public while still on the company payroll probably wasn't one of them.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:35 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
As a customer I was initially interested in this series, but now am going to pass on this, so that's a lost sale already, and that's felt by the entire project team.

Odd this scandal has rekindled my interest in this series.

Quote:
There are many professional ways she could have vented her frustration constructively, like speaking with supervisors/co-workers, asking someone to help with the work, or leaving the project altogether.

Flat out quitting a contract is a lot more unprofessional than having a non-positive opinion.
Lightning Leo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:08 pm Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:

Quote:
There are many professional ways she could have vented her frustration constructively, like speaking with supervisors/co-workers, asking someone to help with the work, or leaving the project altogether.

Flat out quitting a contract is a lot more unprofessional than having a non-positive opinion.

Well, she didn't just have a non-positive opinion--- she expressed it publicly, while still in the company's employ. Leaving because of creative differences is honorable compared to biting the hand that feeds you.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:11 am Reply with quote
What creative differences? She thinks it is boring drawing Fractale, please stop it with the unneeded spin. Saying your work is boring is not biting the hand that feeds you. Quitting work because it is boring is juvenile, not honorable.
Lightning Leo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:24 am Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:
What creative differences? She thinks it is boring drawing Fractale, please stop it with the unneeded spin. Saying your work is boring is not biting the hand that feeds you. Quitting work because it is boring is juvenile, not honorable.

"Unneeded spin"...? Eesh! Razz Ha ha, well I get the feeling this repartee is heading nowhere fast, so I'm gonna respectfully leave my points where I made them. If you're still interested in understanding my opinion you can refer to my earlier posts for clarification, everything I intended to say on the matter is there.
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:48 am Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:

She should be at least grateful that she even has a job even if it is boring. The way she came out it was not the best way to approach the issue.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:20 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
"Unneeded spin"...? Eesh! Razz Ha ha, well I get the feeling this repartee is heading nowhere fast, so I'm gonna respectfully leave my points where I made them. If you're still interested in understanding my opinion you can refer to my earlier posts for clarification, everything I intended to say on the matter is there.

"Creative differences" is vague response to hide or cover-up the actual reasons for some more news worthy quittings and firings.

Quote:
She should be at least grateful that she even has a job even if it is boring. The way she came out it was not the best way to approach the issue.

Her blog entry looked fine and is one way people work out the daily frustration. What she said was didn't make a news article or even an interest thread. We only found out about this because of Yamamoto blowing his top yelling "Stop the presses!" to Squeenix.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4