• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: U.S. Appeals Court Strikes Down Net Neutrality Rules

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Catseyetiger

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:49 am Reply with quote
Due to court rulings allowing corporations to form mega monopolies and the freedom to curtail competing services, Freedom has been tossed aside by the courts in favor of slavery.

Prices will only climb as each Internet Service Provider screws those already paying to use a service while not allowing Hulu, You Tube, Crunchyroll, The Anime Net Work, NetFlix, and other services to compete with much higher cost internet services to be workable and released in the future to the masses.

The courts are ruled by greed and corruption and freedom was tossed along time ago same with ethics.
Polycell

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:39 am Reply with quote
Net neutrality regulation is a bandaid on a missing limb. The real issue is the lack of competition created by the rampant monopolies in the sector - real competition would not only provide the best incentive for treating traffic neutrally, but also to hurry the hell up with getting Americans first-world internet speeds.
marcos torres toledo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:14 am Reply with quote
This is just another way to control all access to what information we want. Unless you have a unlimited checking account forget about using Netflix ,Red Box, Blockbuster you can't use cash like you could at store. Even if you could afford a pay for view service your choices would be limited. No more uncensored sub, dub videos with extras it's back to overlords wet dream a banana republic third world society. Can't afford to pay on a fix income go to hell we don't need you as a customer. In fact drop dead as so as possible parasite. Mad
Kougeru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:17 am Reply with quote
Nayu wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
The cable companies would like to throttle Netflix and other web streamers. Why pay monthly fees for unrestricted service when you can rent a single film or show for a high cost from their PPV menu?

From the ISP's point of view: Because these streaming things are johnny-come-lately, costly bandwidth heavy streams that are causing undue load on the wires and networking devices which were not designed and implemented to deal with such heavy traffic. The "unrestricted" service you are paying for does not cover such things as they were not foreseen when the pricing points were created ten years ago when the worst someone could do was download shit from napster which would take days to download causing less constant load on the devices handling the delivery of internet to your home.

(See also: Why does the rental modem my cable provider suck so much compared to the ones I can buy from Best Buy?)

It would probably help if we would get with the freaking times. Our cable infrastructure is decades old and our companies/country are/is too cheap to upgrade them. This is why our average speed is a fraction of that of countries like Japan and South Korea. They would be able to handle so much more traffic if they would upgrade the system on their end.
Nayu

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:22 am Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
Nayu wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
The cable companies would like to throttle Netflix and other web streamers. Why pay monthly fees for unrestricted service when you can rent a single film or show for a high cost from their PPV menu?

From the ISP's point of view: Because these streaming things are johnny-come-lately, costly bandwidth heavy streams that are causing undue load on the wires and networking devices which were not designed and implemented to deal with such heavy traffic. The "unrestricted" service you are paying for does not cover such things as they were not foreseen when the pricing points were created ten years ago when the worst someone could do was download shit from napster which would take days to download causing less constant load on the devices handling the delivery of internet to your home.

(See also: Why does the rental modem my cable provider suck so much compared to the ones I can buy from Best Buy?)

It would probably help if we would get with the freaking times. Our cable infrastructure is decades old and our companies/country are/is too cheap to upgrade them. This is why our average speed is a fraction of that of countries like Japan and South Korea. They would be able to handle so much more traffic if they would upgrade the system on their end.

This is actually my point. Net neutrality is a bandaid on a technological/infrastructure problem which is being ignore. The infrastructure in the US is terribly out of date. We need an Eisenhower/FDR-like makeover and no one has the guts to do it. Even the worse corrupt politicians aren't actually having the money they're funnelling go to anything real or long lasting, just to more bandaid kick the can down the road half-ass projects.
unready

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:14 am Reply with quote
Nayu wrote:
It takes the decision making out of the hands of people in Washington who have no fricking clue how to even work their web-browsers and places it back into the hands of those who know wtf they are doing.

Quote:
The decision came after Comcast said it had the right to slow its users' access to the file-sharing service BitTorrent.

It also means that if you are a Comcast customer and you don't want to buy Comcast's video streams and if you go someplace else to get your video streams, Comcast can charge you extra for them, anyway.

It's anti-competitive.

(Although it's worth remembering that Comcast owns like 30% or so of Hulu now, too.)
zensunni

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:17 am Reply with quote
Damn! This could be a very bad precedent! I don't like the implications for my wallet or for the net as a whole.
Haterater

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:05 pm Reply with quote
Hate to see the internet end up like TV. With all these businesses controlling like they do.
The Mad Manga Massacre

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:12 pm Reply with quote
Question: What does this mean for people outside the U.S.?
unready

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:07 pm Reply with quote
The Mad Manga Massacre wrote:
Question: What does this mean for people outside the U.S.?

Probably nothing, unless other countries decide to use it as a precedent for setting their own communications regulations.
kanechin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:17 pm Reply with quote
So what does mean for someone using a isp from a cable company? Mediacom started up data caps around september 2013 and recently whenever I stream from youtube or ???? anime site everything loads around half the previous speed.
ajr

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:33 pm Reply with quote
If you're outside the USA, this probably won't affect you much, at least not directly. Enough traffic gets routed through the USA that there probably will be some kind impact, although I've no idea how much of one or if it would be positive or negative.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:51 pm Reply with quote
Not looking forward to what it is going to cost me in the end. And Internet services are nowhere near cheap now.
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:51 pm Reply with quote
ajr wrote:
If you're outside the USA, this probably won't affect you much, at least not directly. Enough traffic gets routed through the USA that there probably will be some kind impact, although I've no idea how much of one or if it would be positive or negative.

Chances are the top level providers aren't going to play this game [too much] or their dominance would get bypassed. And these days they probably don't need any more reasons for their international customers to go elsewhere. More likely this would impact those outside trying to access content hosted on US servers, depending on if the hosting company was providing enough tribute to the troll under their bridge for less-molested access to the internet.
Alexander55

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:51 pm Reply with quote
Well obviously this was bound to happen. Verizon, Time Warner and the likes have been long lobbying for this and have spent well over $350 million dollars to influence Congress and the courts to bend to their will. And it seems to have worked flawlessly. As usual of politics, money speaks louder than words.

The only way Net Neutrality can come be preserved now is if other mega-corporations who are equally as powerful as the Cable/Phone companies decide to repel the decision.

Companies such as Google, Amazon, Yahoo, Ebay, Microsoft, Netflix, Facebook and the likes can band together and form some kind of coalition against Verizon, Time Warner Cable, and AT&T by sending lobbyists to Washington to influence legislature like how all of them nice big corporations do it. After all, they wouldn't like the idea of having to pay cable/phone companies so that consumers have access to their site...

There's also the possibility of the aforementioned Internet companies aligning themselves with the big cable/phone companies to have bandwidth prioritized to their websites while slowing it down for lesser known websites/blogs/content sites, thereby eliminating all of their competition and cementing their dominance on the web. This is a very likely scenario to occur if Google, Facebook and the likes do not object to this new ruling. The Internet, despite being an innovative tool that has been a safe-haven for freedom of speech, press, the cultivation of a free market, artistic expression, and innovation for all long time, will become another mere extension of TV, exactly how the Cable/TV companies envisioned it to be.

Of course, this is all just speculation, we'll have to see what happens after this. I know for certain that I will be opting out of Time Warner, as they have already jacked up the prices of my basic Internet plan and move in with "Ultimate Internet Access" a relatively small internet business that is available in my area.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3