• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Nintendo Reports Weak Wii U Sales, Cuts Projections by 2/3rds

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:04 pm Reply with quote
Lavnovice9 wrote:

I am not so sure about that. Dumbing things down for a wider audience usually turns things into garbage. You cite the American comic industry, but I would cite the American cartoon industry. That industry had ruined itself by aiming for as many people as possible so it has to be as unoffensive and safe as possible, targeting as many viewers as it can. The shows might make profit but it is creatively dead so you will never see risky, unconventional shows like anime does.

Except that's pretty much a lie. Like it or not, the fact of the matter is that if an industry can't expand it is doomed to die. And if the cartoon industry "sucks" then I would dare say it's more due to a lack of talent rather than having to broaden their horizons

Quote:
I like the Tales series. It only sells 300-800K copies and while games which sell 10+ million make more money, like CoD or Battlefield, I'd still play Tales over those because I like them more. Catering to a core, dedicated audience is not bad, the problem with American comics is genre-limitation (superheroes) and continuity problems (they never end). Anime does a similar cater-to-a-small-dedicated-audience thing and it gets by just fine because it alleviates both those problems. A lot of games in Japan only sell less than 50K copies, like visual novels and otaku focused games on the PSP/Vita, but that is enough for them to make a profit and do sequels because they know their potential audience and expected sales so they plan and budget accordingly. On the other hand Sleeping Dogs and Tomb Raider sold millions but are considered financial failures because they spent so much money developing and trying to market them to the wider audience and not enough people bought them. Sometimes a core, dedicated audience is the best bet as otaku games and anime have shown us. Wider audiences are fickle and unreliable, but dedicated nerds are a sure fire bet and will always shell out money for something with a name brand on it.

The "dedicated nerds" are also minuscule in the grand scheme of things. They might by more per capita, but not enough of them exist to make a profit consistently. With Tomb Raider and Sleeping Dogs it wasn't because of being catered to a wider audience, it was because of their teams not properly budgeting themselves and wasting money. That is the ugly truth of any industry: you need to keep bringing in new customers because your old ones WILL leave even if you've done nothing wrong.
Lavnovice9

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:05 pm Reply with quote
Levitz9 wrote:
Besides, Japanese mentality is predisposed against online gaming. They'd much rather get together and play Monster Hunter in the same room. Think of it as Nintendo thinking of an over-all meta-game that still involves face-to-face socialization. Bopping your friend on the shoulder while your friend sits next to you during a River City Ransom playthrough isn't the same as talking to him over a microphone. When Street-passing works, it works.

Definitely. Japan is much more about local socialization multiplayer than anonymous online multiplayer games. I see so many people playing Monster Hunter together on their PSPs when I visit Japan and go to conventions. Japanese society with its transportation system and close living quarters proximity was made for handhelds.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:22 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Online servers only stay up so long. If you like the idea of the games you bought being useless in 10-20 years then okay,
So because of this one little negative(thats not at all absolute) they shouldn't have online modes, because thats' what you're implying. I rather have 10 years of a fantastic online mode then none thats for sure.

Quote:
but I can still play Mario 3 for NES just fine, co-op and all. And it depends on the game.
And I'll still be able to play the most important part of GTA5 20 years from now, so there's no problem.

Quote:
Why buy an older shooter game in the series when there's a newer one out? If its not for single player which is often never talked about, then its for the multiplayer. Everyone will be playing the newest installment of CoD so you have to get that one, making the older games useless.
If you don't like the genre, then maybe you shouldn't talk about it, because you just sound like someone talking out of their ass.

Why do people buy the older installments? Because they either just plain like those, have invested so much time into their character, or don't like the changes. Right now with the most recent CoD, Ghost. Many players have decided to stick with older installments because they do not like the changes with Ghost. Pretty much every CoD even back to 2 still has it's own sizable community with many games still going on. if you pick up 4 on either system, people still play it because thats the one they like.

This is true for Battlefield as well, where some just like BF2 more then the sequels. I myself still play three because I like the maps.

Many people have different opinions on each version of Counter Strike and they play which one accordingly.

Just because you don't understand the nuances, dosen't mean others don't.

Quote:
But that's the thing: so many people INSIST that Nintendo games are held back by a lack of online content. How? Why? No matter how much an industry may change, we've had plenty of games that don't have online content that are just as great today as they were in the Bush Sr. administration. Again: Fire Emblem Awakening and Luigi's Mansion 2: the most "online content" they have is DLC.
So....why can't we have both. Other companies have no problem doing both, so why does Nintendo get a free pass. Sony and MS put out quality single player and online games. Both have online systems that aren't total crap. Whats Nintendo's excuse? They want me to buy a their system, yet why should I when they are behind what other systems do. Maybe I want to play Smash Bros online with ease and the awesome functionality of PSn or XBL. Or maybe sometimes I just want to play at home with friends. If it was on a Sony or MS system both would happen and each options would be handled well. On a Nintendo system, oh boy they got the offline part working, gee I'm so thankful they did the easiest thing, but the online sure sucks.

I'm sorry, I don't live in Japan(thank go) and my country is different. We aren't all taking public transportation where something like street pass makes sense. I'm playing online with friends who are far away. If you want to make a system that is going to sell worldwide then you need to make a product that dosen't lag behind you're competitors.

And it's not even a worthwhile excuse that "oh they are Japanese". Sony is a Japanese company and they get it. PSN is pretty amazing and they were able to at least make online work on the PSP and then make it even better on the Vita. Nintendo has no excuse.

Quote:
Why on earth would you use multiplatform games as a positive for a system? A game is not a selling point for a system if I can just buy the rival system and play it on that. I hate it when companies use stuff like CoD or GTA to sell their system at E3. Why is GTA5 a selling point for Xbox when it's also on the PS3 and I can buy it for that instead?
Because those are the games people actually want. People mostly buy systems because of third party games, be they third party exclusives or multiplatform titles. Third parties are what have pushed the Playsation and Xbox since they came out.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:25 pm Reply with quote
Rahxephon91 wrote:
So....why can't we have both.

Because we live in the real world.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:29 pm Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:
Rahxephon91 wrote:
So....why can't we have both.

Because we live in the real world.

You mean the world where Rockstar has provided great online and single player games.

The real world where Sony and MS make consoles and games that cater to both areas of single player and online.

Sounds like the real world is fine, it's Nintendo that sucks.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
mdo7

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:34 pm Reply with quote
Well this is not good, then again I hope Nintendo can bounce back. I hope Nintendo got something in plan to get those sales going like crazy.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Galap

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:35 pm Reply with quote
That's kind of disappointing, since it's the new-gen console that I decided to adopt. Hopefully it doesn't completely crash out like the dreamcast.

I never had a Wii, so it functions as that for me as well.

Unfortunately, as a general statement, I'm finding myself much less interested in games than I have been previously. I think it's because I'm spending my time on other pursuits. It's good that my loss of interest (though it's not complete) coincides with games themselves going in general to a place that I don't particularly like compared to where they were in the past. That's better than them going south back when I was interested.
Guile

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:36 pm Reply with quote
se37 wrote:
3rd Parties will never fully support Nintendo again because they don't believe their games can compare to Nintendo games

The reason 3rd parties are hesitant to support Nintendo is because of their heavy licensing fees. If people wonder why companies still develop for the Vita despite the 3DS having a higher installation base, it is because of those fees. Rune Factory 4 was Neverland's fasted and highest grossing game yet, but they still filed for bankruptcy and shut down because Nintendo's licensing fees cut too much into their profits. Games will smaller fanbases and budgets find more profit on Sony systems.
Levitz9

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:41 pm Reply with quote
Rahxephon91 wrote:

And it's not even a worthwhile excuse that "oh they are Japanese". Sony is a Japanese company and they get it. PSN is pretty amazing and they were able to at least make online work on the PSP and then make it even better on the Vita. Nintendo has no excuse.

Nintendo... doesn't need one. They don't make their games with an online community in mind, they make them with functionality in mind. Again: round peg, square hole. I'd buy into the theory that Nintendo was held back by their lack of seamless, constantly-online synchronous multiplayer if Nintendo weren't constantly making great games that didn't use or need them.

That, and let's face it: we're not yet at the point where online can be made accessible for everyone. Not everyone benefits from an Internet connection that's strong enough for reliable online multiplayer. Scoff if you want, but it's true. I myself am an example: the only reason I'm typing this here right now is because I'm spending the weekend with some relatives who have an internet connection. I cannot get an Internet connection at home: no service reaches me there. Online may be complimentary, but I prefer a functional, cohesive whole.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:49 pm Reply with quote
Levitz9 wrote:

Nintendo... doesn't need one. They don't make their games with an online community in mind, they make them with functionality in mind. Again: round peg, square hole. I'd buy into the theory that Nintendo was held back by their lack of seamless, constantly-online synchronous multiplayer if Nintendo weren't constantly making great games that didn't use or need them.

That, and let's face it: we're not yet at the point where online can be made accessible for everyone. Not everyone benefits from an Internet connection that's strong enough for reliable online multiplayer. Scoff if you want, but it's true. I myself am an example: the only reason I'm typing this here right now is because I'm spending the weekend with some relatives who have an internet connection. I cannot get an Internet connection at home: no service reaches me there. Online may be complimentary, but I prefer a functional, cohesive whole.

That is a major problem with gaming companies; they seem to think that we're further along in technology than we really are. Of course that underlies a fundamental problem: the kind of people who make games are tech junkies and of COURSE they're going to make stuff for other tech junkies. Not exactly a great plan for longevity
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:54 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Nintendo... doesn't need one. They don't make their games with an online community in mind, they make them with functionality in mind.

I never said they were held back, I said I see nothing wrong with them also providing better options. But maybe they are since they are the one's with the console doing horrible. I see nothing wrong with them actually developing online systems that aren't crap and giving gamers who want to use that option, something that is worthwhile. Other companies do it, Nintendo has no real excuse.

Quote:
And there are those that do. So you're point is really quite pointless. Many gamers do use online and many don't. A company like Sony has been able to cater to both. Nintendo hasn't and that's pathetic.
Levitz9

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:59 pm Reply with quote
Rahxephon91 wrote:

I never said they were held back, I said I see nothing wrong with them also providing better options. But maybe they are since they are the one's with the console doing horrible. I see nothing wrong with them actually developing online systems that aren't crap and giving gamers who want to use that option, something that is worthwhile. Other companies do it, Nintendo has no real excuse.

And there are those that do. So you're point is really quite pointless. Many gamers do use online and many don't. A company like Sony has been able to cater to both. Nintendo hasn't and that's pathetic.

I may have put words in your mouth with the "Nintendo held back" thing, but your very dialogue suggests that Nintendo is in the wrong somehow by not catering to Online-savvy purchasers, just because other companies did it. We're at an impasse here.
se37

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:00 pm Reply with quote
Guile wrote:
se37 wrote:
3rd Parties will never fully support Nintendo again because they don't believe their games can compare to Nintendo games

The reason 3rd parties are hesitant to support Nintendo is because of their heavy licensing fees. If people wonder why companies still develop for the Vita despite the 3DS having a higher installation base, it is because of those fees. Rune Factory 4 was Neverland's fasted and highest grossing game yet, but they still filed for bankruptcy and shut down because Nintendo's licensing fees cut too much into their profits. Games will smaller fanbases and budgets find more profit on Sony systems.

I haven't seen anything about CURRENT licensing fees being an issue for Nintendo. Back in the 80s and 90s that was true but in 2000s they lowered the fees to around the same as Microsoft & Sony (however, I could be wrong yet I find no evidence this is the case since I've been Googling it). Plus I saw no mention of licensing fees being a reason for Neverland failing but read that the reason was due to too much heavy debt they already had and how the environment has changed too much .

Last edited by se37 on Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:00 pm Reply with quote
This is disappointing news, though not exactly shocking. Honestly the only current console I'm interested in is a Wii U, because of the usual first-party lineup, but I haven't even picked one up myself. (If I wanted cross-platform titles, I'd pick them up for the PC, where such games are best played anyway.) The marketing is definitely an issue, though as someone who does know what's what, it irks me that so many out there apparently don't. Nintendo's continuing bizarre reluctance to fully embrace modern online models, shown in such outdated concepts as having digital purchases be tied to one individual console, isn't helping matters either. It's the year 2014...some things need to change.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:06 pm Reply with quote
se37 wrote:
Guile wrote:
se37 wrote:

I haven't seen anything about CURRENT licensing fees being an issue for Nintendo. Back in the 80s and 90s that was true but in 2000s they lowered the fees to around the same as Microsoft & Sony (however, I could be wrong yet I find no evidence this is the case since I've been Googling it). Plus I saw no mention of licensing fees being a reason for Neverland failing but read that the reason was due to too much heavy debt they already had and how the environment has changed too much .
Plus wouldn't the publisher be the one to worry about that part. Never land was just the paid developer for the RF games.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 11