• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Nintendo Reports Weak Wii U Sales, Cuts Projections by 2/3rds

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lavnovice9

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:13 pm Reply with quote
Rahxephon91 wrote:
And it's not even a worthwhile excuse that "oh they are Japanese". Sony is a Japanese company and they get it. PSN is pretty amazing and they were able to at least make online work on the PSP and then make it even better on the Vita. Nintendo has no excuse.

Sony starting to care what Americans do is something I've been cautious about for awhile now. I'm waiting for it to come back and bite them in the ass in the end The Playstation 4 launching in America before Japan is already a warning flag for me.

I think Sony and Nintendo are dealing with the shrink console market in Japan in different ways. Sony is shifting more towards the American market, while Nintendo is relying more and more on Nintendo fans. You can argue the Playstation 4 outselling the WiiU is 'proof' that Sony's idea is 'better', and if we're going off pure numbers alone then maybe it is, but I can say I have zero interest in the PS4 right now until it gets some Japanese games so any success it claims means nothing to me as a gamer. The WiiU has a lot more games I enjoy playing at the moment and will continue to do so until the PS4 launches in Japan.

I'm worried this generation of gaming is going to become stale and lifeless with the desire to appeal to mass market with a possible market crash because of the increased cost to develop games with shiny new graphics and needing more and more sales to break even , but I will wait until the system launches in Japan before I preach any kind of doom and gloom for it.

se37 wrote:
I haven't seen anything about CURRENT licensing fees being an issue for Nintendo. Back in the 80s and 90s that was true but in 2000s they lowered the fees to around the same as Microsoft & Sony (however, I could be wrong yet I find no evidence this is the case since I've been Googling it).

IIRC some people form XSEED did an AMA on 4chan's /v/ and they cited heavy licensing fees being a problem they found with working with Nintendo.
Polycell

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:18 pm Reply with quote
Lavnovice9 wrote:
I'm worried this generation of gaming is going to become stale and lifeless with the desire to appeal to mass market with a possible market crash because of the increased cost to develop games with shiny new graphics and needing more and more sales to break even , but I will wait until the system launches in Japan before I preach any kind of doom and gloom for it.
Better indie support is one of the PS4's selling points, so Sony's not entirely unprepared for that eventuality.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:21 pm Reply with quote
Well I see nothing wrong with Sony also making things for people who aren't Japanese. Why that's a problem I have no idea.

Either way I just don't like Japanese games, so I nothing with the variety that Sony provides. The WiiU provides nothing for me.

Last edited by Rahxephon91 on Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
GrilledEelHamatsu

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:23 pm Reply with quote
se37 wrote:
Yeah, this is not surprise to me that the Wii U is failing due to the piss poor marking the thing has. From what I've gathered, most people still think it is an add-on for the Wii. This came full circle when my sister (who isn't huge in gaming so she doesn't look at gaming sites) thought the Wii U was an add-on. However, as of yet I haven't seen ANYTHING the PS4 or Xbox One have to offer that will make me go and buy the system, this includes future games too since I've given up hope on the Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts series for example.

Plus, I don't think Nintendo can go the route and release a system on par with Microsoft or Sony. They have done that with both the Gamecube and N64 and that didn't help them at all. 3rd Parties will never fully support Nintendo again because they don't believe their games can compare to Nintendo games (let us be honest, some of the best games ever made are done by Nintendo and Nintendo's games can normally stay on the sales charts far longer than most other big budget games). Plus the third parties have been pissing on the Wii U and giving us poor versions of their games (when compared to the 360 & PS3) at full retail price and surprise, it doesn't sell well enough.

However, I can also see that this generation could be the last of console gaming but I also predict that a crash will happen soon starting with the fall of Capcom. Imagine this if you will. What would have happened to Rockstar if GTAV did NOT sell as well as Rockstar had hoped?

Nintendo brought this all on themselves and no this is not the last of console generations. Certainly may in fact be the last for Sony but not for everyone else.

Nintendo can't go back to being the old Nintendo until the Yamaguchi family takes ownership or demotes Iwata like I think they will.
GrilledEelHamatsu

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:29 pm Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
Lavnovice9 wrote:
Better indie support is one of the PS4's selling points, so Sony's not entirely unprepared for that eventuality.
PS4's holiday rush honeymoon could be over already. It's been having yield problems,shortages(not the good kind) and lackluster post launch software sales.

Also, Sony is NOT in the best shape financially. PS4 alone can't save them. You do know that, right?

It's different form the PS2 days. Sony no longer has capital worth $70 billion. A successful console launch like PS4 is no longer enough for them. Their other divisions are losing money and bleeding massive amounts of debt. PS4 is barely able to increase their revenue.
GrilledEelHamatsu

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:31 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
This is disappointing news, though not exactly shocking. Honestly the only current console I'm interested in is a Wii U, because of the usual first-party lineup, but I haven't even picked one up myself. (If I wanted cross-platform titles, I'd pick them up for the PC, where such games are best played anyway.) The marketing is definitely an issue, though as someone who does know what's what, it irks me that so many out there apparently don't. Nintendo's continuing bizarre reluctance to fully embrace modern online models, shown in such outdated concepts as having digital purchases be tied to one individual console, isn't helping matters either. It's the year 2014...some things need to change.

The Yamaguchi clan needs to take over.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:36 pm Reply with quote
GrilledEelHamatsu wrote:

The Yamaguchi clan needs to take over.

The Yamauchi family no longer has any say in the goings on at Nintendo as they have no power. The late Hiroshi Yamauchi WAS the biggest shareholder but even he didn't really bother Nintendo as he was long-retired. Iwata isn't going anywhere. It's about time people get over that
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:47 pm Reply with quote
GrilledEelHamatsu wrote:
PS4's holiday rush honeymoon could be over already. It's been having yield problems,shortages(not the good kind)

It's not good that the PS4 is flying off shelves so fast that Sony cannot possibly meet the demand? Well shucks, you sure seem like a wise investor. Instead I should go with the Wii U which had to take a price cut less than a year after being released just to amount to a pittance in sales, right?
GrilledEelHamatsu

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:50 pm Reply with quote
Levitz9 wrote:
Rahxephon91 wrote:

And it's not even a worthwhile excuse that "oh they are Japanese". Sony is a Japanese company and they get it. PSN is pretty amazing and they were able to at least make online work on the PSP and then make it even better on the Vita. Nintendo has no excuse.

That, and let's face it: we're not yet at the point where online can be made accessible for everyone. Not everyone benefits from an Internet connection that's strong enough for reliable online multiplayer. Scoff if you want, but it's true. I myself am an example: the only reason I'm typing this here right now is because I'm spending the weekend with some relatives who have an internet connection. I cannot get an Internet connection at home: no service reaches me there. Online may be complimentary, but I prefer a functional, cohesive whole.

While I agree with this point and the fact that Sony doesn't have enough resources or financial backing to build a full online steaming only Network worldwide, I disagree about the point made about Nintendo. That type of ideology is why Wii is failing.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:55 pm Reply with quote
But they are building a Streaming service. That's why they bought Gaiki. Playstation Now is happening.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:58 pm Reply with quote
I haven't felt a need to play any of the titles they've released so far on any of the next gens.

I have been waiting for Mario Kart 8 and Smash Bros. I will buy the system then. Same with the other two consoles; when titles I want come out (Kingdom Hearts 3) I will pick one of them up.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
aoi yuuki fanboy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:01 pm Reply with quote
Mario Kart 8, SSB4, Hyrule Warriors... The Wii U will do just fine. If only they made a path of radiance sequel... Very Happy
GrilledEelHamatsu

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:04 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
GrilledEelHamatsu wrote:
PS4's holiday rush honeymoon could be over already. It's been having yield problems,shortages(not the good kind)

It's not good that the PS4 is flying off shelves so fast that Sony cannot possibly meet the demand? Well shucks, you sure seem like a wise investor. Instead I should go with the Wii U which had to take a price cut less than a year after being released just to amount to a pittance in sales, right?

It's less about Demand and more about being stretched thin. Especially the fact that PS4's budget and funding came from expenditures and LOANS they are going to have to pay back and therefore take an Operating Loss on, Hello?

That certainly must explain why Sony's stock keeps tumbling and is on a freefall, despite PS4's successful launches.

http://www.bloomberg.com/quote/SON1:GR/chart

Investors are getting sick of SCEI, they want the rest of the company to become profitable. You don't LOSE $30 Billion worth of capital in a decades time and expect to be in good shape.

And look at that? SEGA seems to being doing great and is GAINING capital and pulling larger ROE and EPS than Sony as well as higher cash Flow.

http://www.bloomberg.com/quote/SGAMF:US
GrilledEelHamatsu

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:05 pm Reply with quote
Rahxephon91 wrote:
But they are building a Streaming service. That's why they bought Gaiki. Playstation Now is happening.

We know that. But there aren't enough resources for a Full service global streaming network.
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:13 pm Reply with quote
To me, I think one of the biggest problems with the Wii U is its library. Other than a few games, there's nothing really that great out for the system.

They need more games that people want, like the new Smash Bros or a new Animal Crossing. The series that really sell for Nintendo; I think those would help push sales in a more positive direction.

It's because of a lack of games that both my fiancee and I are interested in is why we haven't bothered to try and get a Wii U. There's nothing I want to play, and he only wants to play ZombieU. That's honestly not enough to spend $300 on a system. Plus, I have no idea if they make the Wii U compatible with Wii games out of the box or not now, as we don't have the ability to link our systems up to the internet to update it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 11