• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Blue Exorcist: The Movie [Limited Edition] Blu-Ray

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:27 am Reply with quote
I meant purely electronic digital versus physical dichotomy, hence I talk about digital media stores, by which I mean Internet media stores. Physical carriers also can be digital, but I mean formats where you but nothing but right to playback digits.

It is too bad that companies want you to overpay for Blu-Ray. But I still wonder about quality of media in:
1) Apple iTunes Store;
2) Amazon Store;
3) Google Play Market;
4) Sony store;
5) Microsoft store;
6) maybe lesser stores.

Where video is better, has less compression artifacts?

I understand that not all anime films are distributed electronically, but some are. If so, where is better to buy? I do not want to deal physical formats any more.
Echo_City

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:58 am Reply with quote
Buying a digital copy?! That's absurd as it gives you MORE DRM, less flexibility and much lower quality than bluray can.

Buying the bluray is buying the physical copy: just rip the bluray, transcode it and you've got a higher-quality, DRM-free digital copy that you can tailor for optimal playback on all your media devices. Instead of buying the digital copy, you should buy the blurays, rip the blurays into your own digital copy and then send the blurays on to someone who has few qualms about collecting them...someone like me Cool

That said, didn't this week's Answerman touch upon why anime wasn't going to really embrace paid digital downloads?
truanifan678

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:50 am Reply with quote
I'm not even going to get started on the unreliable nature of digital-only content that one day will be there then months or years later it's pulled for what ever reason. I gave up on digital-only when my "purchased" content was pulled and became inaccessible more than once.

Edit: Echo_City mentioned DRM and I've found that to be a huge pain too. I downloaded something from iTunes long ago and saved the actual file, tried to transfer it to a new computer for playback only to get an error that I wasn't allowed to play the content I purchased. :/

To be honest I doubt that each individual store encodes their own videos. I also don't see how a digital video would be better than a disc release since it's probably the same video encode that's on the discs that's provided by the distributor to the online store.

Although I can't say for sure, but that's my assumption. I would be interested in knowing more about where internet media stores get their videos. I doubt I'll turn digital-only though. Give me a good physical release that won't go anywhere unless somebody comes into my room and breaks all my discs.

spoiler[Truth be told I wrote a long rant, but decided not to post it since I wrote way too much on releases between Japan and America and prices. XP]
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:41 pm Reply with quote
What you buy is what you own. Your iTunes Store film will not go away.
truanifan678

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:41 am Reply with quote
MaxSouth wrote:
What you buy is what you own. Your iTunes Store film will not go away.

Not a strong enough argument for me. I "bought" a video from iTunes and the company who uploaded it decided to pull it for what ever reason. Granted this was a while ago, HOWEVER experience speaks louder than anything else and lasts longer too. Thanks for the input though.

Last I'll say on the topic. I have my opinion and others have theirs. That's all there is to it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2