• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kodansha USA to Print Attack on Titan in Omnibus Edition

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yurihellsing

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:23 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
yurihellsing wrote:
Gyt Kaliba wrote:
yurihellsing wrote:
Where as i hate them with a passion they just cheapen the whole experience.

Er...exactly how do you figure that one?

"cheapen" doesn't always have monetary connotations.

So you don't mean cheapen as in monetary, but cheapen as in putting the manga with more chapters in the same volume (and, IIUC larger pages) somehow devalues the experience of reading the manga.

Which kind of leaves the question standing ... exactly how do you figure it does that?

Because for one it messes up the pacing it's nice to have a story be resolved within one volume or to get that wonderful feeling of a cliff hanger while you wait for the next volume or until your next reading session. I also hate hearing of colourisations seriously it just sounds so tacky that someone has coloured it in for almost no real reason also LARGER pages what am i three???
Chrno2

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:26 pm Reply with quote
I can get behind this. BIG TIME! Wink Wink
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:34 pm Reply with quote
yurihellsing wrote:
Rahxephon91 wrote:
I wish everything was in Omnibus editions.

What how?

The paper quality? It's not that different, hell is it? I can't tell you, because it's not that noticeable.

Because of some strange idea of pacing. Well then I don't stop yourself.

I really don't see the problem. It's cheaper and easier to collect. The one thing I hate about manga is how long series are. I don't need 20+ $10 books to jump into when I want to read a series.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
partially

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:31 pm Reply with quote
xScar wrote:
$60 list price... is it worth it? Is pretty bad art on larger pages really worth it?

Viz puts three volumes into one for the list price of $20, and there, I get art from Takehiko Inoue. So there, it's worth it. But this Colossal edition is even bigger than the VIZBIGs; I think it should be similar to Viz's Nausicaa re-release. Sorry, but Isayama's art really doesn't need that big of a page size.

When I first read the headline, I thought I might finally grab the series, but the list price and the fact that it's -five- volumes in one seems quite ridiculous. I can't even imagine trying to hold that book.

Guess it's more of a collector's item than anything, and another way to put the series out there to rake in the money.

I have the ultimate editions of things like Sandman and Watchmen. Let me tell you those things are HUGE. Despite that they are still perfectly read-a-ble. I certainly wouldn't lug them around, and they would probably be awkward to read in bed; but at home, in the comfy chair, it isn't a bad way to read them. Very Happy

In this case, certainly for only 5-volumes the $60 price tag is stupid. Unless they do this as a premium hardcover release. Also as you say, I am also not really sure the art here warrants a larger release showing off more flaws than it already does. Standard size omnibus seems more logical to me in this case.
truanifan678

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:12 pm Reply with quote
Somebody asked on their tumblr about the hardcover vs. paperpack they confirmed that the omnibus will be paperback.

In regards to damaging the binding and such to read it they said to compare it to the Walking Dead Compendium editions. Anybody out there have one of those who can share with that's like? How does the binding hold up when it's opened to the middle of the book?

My little opinion on the price is it seems like recently people mark things up just to mark them down. :/ I'm hoping they print so many of them that they mark them down during a RightStuf sale or something. They also might be milking the Titan craze for all it's worth too. Who knows. I just hope the quality matches their boasting and descriptions for a $60 price range.
agila61

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:37 pm Reply with quote
truanifan678 wrote:
My little opinion on the price is it seems like recently people mark things up just to mark them down.

Yeah, people seem to mark them up for brick and mortar distribution even if almost all of a title is going to be sold at an online distribution discount.

According to Rightstuf, the MSRP of the individual volumes is $10.99, so the five would be $54.95. But they sell them for $8.24, so the real price if five are ordered would be $41.20. The same discount would put the Omnibus at an actual regular Rightstuf price of $44.99.

Which if its larger sized paper, I'd pay an extra $3.79 for.
bs3311

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:42 am Reply with quote
trueanifan678 wrote:
Somebody asked on their tumblr about the hardcover vs. paperpack they confirmed that the omnibus will be paperback.

Then thats a no buy for me. This comment also goes to the whole debacle with omnibus vs single volumes.

I'm okay with omnibus volumes UNLESS their Hardcover like the H.O.T.D full color editions. Though the color is slightly different from the japanese releases, the quality of the pages and the book itself is great so far. And with the great care I give them, they still stay good as new even with the paper cover on them. It even comes with director interviews and additional art pages.

And why does a fan service show like that get a better treatment than the so called most epic anime/manga ever and hands down is forcefully considered to be a masterpiece? Unless I underestimated the popularity of H.O.T.D, then I take this paragraph back.

Paperback omnibus just feels too cheap and dangerous to open IMO given the spine is more resistant to open yet some panelists have small text bubbles somewhere in the closest left or right panels by the spine. Plus no matter how much good care I give, overtime the edges wear off and the spine comes loose.

I do love a good bargain like omnibus editions, but If I wanna buy them as my first time looking or collecting the series. Or I can double dip not only for the love of the series but for shelf space as well. Then the product should at least be as good or better quality than the single volumes.

And since AOT is supposedly the biggest series on the market so far, I thought Kodansha U.S.A would gladly go the premium route on this due to its popularity and of course guaranteed possibility of getting more money. I still have not bought the singles yet, and I was thinking this would satisfy me along with getting a good product that is more worth it than the single volume books. Guess not.

Now I'm not saying its overall bad for everybody, its just bad for me.
Buy away if you want.

Now to pray on a behlit for DH and the japanese publishers to give Berserk a hardcover treatment of their volumes, thats a series worth doing IMO. But Dark Horse, at least make your spine above decent compared to your hyrule histora release! Mad
gedata

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 1:46 pm Reply with quote
yurihellsing wrote:
agila61 wrote:
yurihellsing wrote:
Gyt Kaliba wrote:
yurihellsing wrote:

Er...exactly how do you figure that one?

"cheapen" doesn't always have monetary connotations.

So you don't mean cheapen as in monetary, but cheapen as in putting the manga with more chapters in the same volume (and, IIUC larger pages) somehow devalues the experience of reading the manga.

Which kind of leaves the question standing ... exactly how do you figure it does that?

Because for one it messes up the pacing it's nice to have a story be resolved within one volume or to get that wonderful feeling of a cliff hanger while you wait for the next volume or until your next reading session. I also hate hearing of colourisations seriously it just sounds so tacky that someone has coloured it in for almost no real reason also LARGER pages what am i three???

you can just read a volume and stop for the day
Sailor S

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:12 pm Reply with quote
Rahxephon91 wrote:

I really don't see the problem. It's cheaper and easier to collect. The one thing I hate about manga is how long series are. I don't need 20+ $10 books to jump into when I want to read a series.

Other than it being cheaper, I don't see how it's any easier to collect. Manga isn't like anime, you can't cram more manga onto fewer pages like you can with anime and discs, so you're not saving much space. Sure, there's a tiny bit since there's only one cover, but generally speaking that omnibus is going to be nearly the same size as the 3 or however many volumes it's made up of.

To each their own of course, I just am not terribly keen on how bulky the omnibuses are. They don't rest comfortably in my hand like the single volumes do.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2