• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Nature Always Wears the Colors of the Spirit

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nom De Plume De Fanboy
Subscriber
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 4:44 am Reply with quote
My dream for my small manga collection ( and my family photo albums ) is to get a used refrigerator and put it in my garage, unplugged in the winter. If it is cleaned once in a while with ordinary household cleaners, there is no danger of mold or crud. I've seen small automotive shops keep air filters and other car parts clean this way.

Of course, that's less money I'd have for anime and manga. And I'd have to clean out the garage... someday. Smile
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:30 am Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:

...Watanabe might be the only Japanese guest to have a legible signature. TBH, that's a more legible English-language signature than I've gotten from many US VAs.

I have Yoko Kanno's autograph and it is also completely legible. But yeah I couldn't tell you what any of my other Japanese autographs say. But then since I was physically there when they signed it, I know it's theirs. And well I am not planning on selling them. Of course when I die, no one else will know what they are. lol

I also have Mamoru Hosoda's autograph, I can't read his signature itself, but then he drew Makoto from Girl Who Leapt Through Time for me.

Anyways all the talk about manga yellowing has me worried. I keep mine on the shelf but not in plastic wrap. I haven't had any problems yet (and I've been collecting for 14 years) but one of my artbooks did suddenly have pages sticking together.

edit: some of my Japanese autograph pictures (photo quality is not the best)

Yoko Kanno and Seki Tomokazu on Escaflowne. Yoko Kanno is towards the top, Seki at the bottom.

http://kimalysong.tumblr.com/post/58631818329/otakon-2013-great-con-with-probably-the-best

Gen Urobuchi and Tetsuya Kakihara (easy to tell what is what bc of what they signed)
http://kimalysong.tumblr.com/image/28452930865

Mamoru Hosoda
http://kimalysong.tumblr.com/image/45027017906
configspace

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:45 am Reply with quote
The yellowing may also depend on how it's kept prior to purchase, like conditions at the warehouse. Also for stores, I've seen new manga in B&N and previously at Borders in poor condition, like with bent spines and bent pages. People leafing through manga also adds to future deterioration with added oils and acids from hands. Plus one of my local BNs has its manga section next to the cafeteria, so the added steam and humidity and likelihood of pastry-fat works against it.

It's the reason why except for a couple things, I now order manga online and I still download the scans. Having DRM-free digital manga like some of DMP's title helps too. For wrapping or bagging, I think it would need to be vacuum packed to be effective, otherwise I'd just avoid handling them and stick them in a box instead of a shelf.
phia_one

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:18 am Reply with quote
I've only been buying manga since 2005 and some of the earlier books in different series (all Viz) have already started turning yellow. It's a shame because I take very good care of my books.
Covnam

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:09 pm Reply with quote
I just cleaned up/organized a good portion of my manga collection tonight coincidentally and most of my books looked fine going by the top of the spines. I did see some that were yellower than others though, but it wasn't consistent by publisher or series. Just a random book every once in a while.
ColonelYao47

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:15 pm Reply with quote
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
some of my Japanese autograph pictures (photo quality is not the best)

Yoko Kanno and Seki Tomokazu on Escaflowne. Yoko Kanno is towards the top, Seki at the bottom.

http://kimalysong.tumblr.com/post/58631818329/otakon-2013-great-con-with-probably-the-best

Gen Urobuchi and Tetsuya Kakihara (easy to tell what is what bc of what they signed)

Mamoru Hosoda

I see you did the last two Otakons as well. At the time, I didn't have a special item for Gen Urobuchi. I also admit envying your Hosoda autograph. I met him when he did his Wolf Children tour but he was too tired to do autographs by the time I got to him. It's doubly disappointing when people from an earlier screening got sketches and autographs.
Sailor S

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:04 am Reply with quote
I was at Otakon this year, but I didn't even attempt to get Yoko Kanno's autograph. Considering what a madhouse it was just getting tickets to her concert, I wasn't willing to put in the effort it likely would have taken to get a ticket to her autograph session. I was quite happy getting the autographs of Tsukasa Fushimi (author of Oreimo) and Hiroyuki Kanbe (director of the anime), plus you know, getting to see Yoko Kanno's concert. While I am a big fan of getting autographs and have about a dozen of them from various Japanese guests at conventions, I also am fine with passing on them if I view the hassle of obtaining one to be too much of a cost in time and effort.

Personally, I like what Aniplex did for cons where they were at where if you bought a certain item, you'd get a ticket for an autograph session provided you were one of the first 100 or so people to buy it. If I can use money to save me time spent sitting in line with no guarantees of an autograph to actually guarantee an autograph, I'll do it in a heartbeat.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:30 am Reply with quote
I would like to take care of my manga and much older anime magazines. But it makes no sense to have books on a shelf in plastic. If you want to protect them for the long haul, buy one for the shelves and one to be sealed for storage.

Sadly for space concerns, I have too much in boxes in the garage. Which is no where ideal. You can't control humidity in the garage, and there is the ever present danger of insects.
bones2039

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:44 am Reply with quote
I just looked at some of my older volumes of manga(which are only 9-10 years old), and while comparing them to newer volumes I can see some yellowing, Its not to a point that it really bothers me. My Ranma 1/2 collection is more bothersome because its flipped than because its sort of yellow.
EnigmaticSky

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:12 am Reply with quote
[quote="Maidenoftheredhand"]
Echo_City wrote:

I also have Mamoru Hosoda's autograph, I can't read his signature itself, but then he drew Makoto from Girl Who Leapt Through Time for me.

edit: some of my Japanese autograph pictures (photo quality is not the best)

Mamoru Hosoda

I... i... WHAT. I am so incredibly jealous...

________

Answerman, awesome on your new setup. If anyone tells you that a 1080p projector isn't enough, depending on how close you plan on sitting, you can pretty much just call bullocks. Unless you're projecting in an entire movie theater, it's really unnecessary. http://i.i.cbsi.com/cnwk.1d/i/tim/2013/01/27/resolution_chart.jpg I really look forward to getting a legit home-theater set up. Until then I'll be happy sitting like 3 feet away from my 50 inch tv in my tiny dorm room darting from the bottom of the screen to read subs to the full thing.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:21 am Reply with quote
EnigmaticSky wrote:
Answerman, awesome on your new setup. If anyone tells you that a 1080p projector isn't enough, depending on how close you plan on sitting, you can pretty much just call bullocks. Unless you're projecting in an entire movie theater, it's really unnecessary. http://i.i.cbsi.com/cnwk.1d/i/tim/2013/01/27/resolution_chart.jpg

Not to mention that there's not much 4K source material available to consumers.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:36 am Reply with quote
EnigmaticSky wrote:

Answerman, awesome on your new setup. If anyone tells you that a 1080p projector isn't enough, depending on how close you plan on sitting, you can pretty much just call bullocks. Unless you're projecting in an entire movie theater, it's really unnecessary. http://i.i.cbsi.com/cnwk.1d/i/tim/2013/01/27/resolution_chart.jpg I really look forward to getting a legit home-theater set up. Until then I'll be happy sitting like 3 feet away from my 50 inch tv in my tiny dorm room darting from the bottom of the screen to read subs to the full thing.

I've met people who set up a projection screen on their backyard from their 2nd floor window. A theater in the backyard. Laughing

fuuma_monou wrote:

Whatacowinkidink. I just talked today with a guy who has a Sony 4K TV. Apparently he gets his 4K sources from Sony that's only available to subscribers. Seems Sony is encoding some films into 4K.

(Oh, we're trying out some movies on a new curved LG 55" OLED Cinema 3D Smart TV...... thin as a glass for sale for a low low price of $9999........ Looks nice though...... Wonder how anime would look........ Laughing )
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:57 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
fuuma_monou wrote:

Whatacowinkidink. I just talked today with a guy who has a Sony 4K TV. Apparently he gets his 4K sources from Sony that's only available to subscribers. Seems Sony is encoding some films into 4K.

Heard about that from David Pogue's column in Scientific American. Apparently Sony ships the files on hard drives. I'm guessing the portable kind that can be powered by a USB port.

IIRC Warner Brothers had its entire film catalog encoded in 4K or even 8K for archival purposes. If so, I'm still waiting for Blu-rays of The Iron Giant and Batman: Mask of the Phantasm.

When I bought my Samsung HDTV and Blu-ray player, the package included a six-month subscription for Blu-ray rentals.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:28 am Reply with quote
ColonelYao47 wrote:
I also admit envying your Hosoda autograph. I met him when he did his Wolf Children tour but he was too tired to do autographs by the time I got to him. It's doubly disappointing when people from an earlier screening got sketches and autographs.

I got mine at the NY Int'l Children's film festival. I wasn't expecting autographs but I bought my DVD just in case and then some little girl asked during audience questions...I was quite grateful to that little girl. Where did you meet him?

Sailor S wrote:

I was at Otakon this year, but I didn't even attempt to get Yoko Kanno's autograph. Considering what a madhouse it was just getting tickets to her concert, I wasn't willing to put in the effort it likely would have taken to get a ticket to her autograph session.

I admit if I was on my own I might not have tried either but I was with another friend who is a huge Yoko Kanno fan who flew in from California to get her autograph who was so determined and well that kind of encouraged me to not give up.

I was one of the last few people who got in the line but I have to say how they handled Yoko Kanno was way more organized than Otakon's usual autograph policy. They left the line open outside and the first 100 people to get in got their tickets. As long as you lined up early you were good, there was no the usual shoving and stampede to get in the autograph line (although that one I've kind of mastered after doing it for so many years, it's never pleasant).
ColonelYao47

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:02 am Reply with quote
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
I got mine at the NY Int'l Children's film festival. I wasn't expecting autographs but I bought my DVD just in case and then some little girl asked during audience questions...I was quite grateful to that little girl. Where did you meet him?

Oh my goodness, were you at that 4:00 screening on 23rd Street? I got the 6:30 one. Oh well, that's the way it goes sometimes. Watching Wolf Children for the first time with him there was an absolutely amazing experience. Not bad for my first festival...hope there will be more good times this year with Patema Inverted.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3