• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 20 Anime Compete for Tokyo Anime Awards' Fan Prize

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:01 pm Reply with quote
The 3rd movie was really controversial. I can see people not voting for it.
Mister Ryan Andrews

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:04 pm Reply with quote
Zatheyll wrote:
Happy with Psycho-Pass being so high, but is it even possible for the best selling anime of the 21st century to be on the bottom?

You keep calling Madoka the best selling anime franchise, but a few other anime have sold more than Madoka has. Regardless, it's nomination is for one of the movies, not the TV series. Madoka's TV series aired before the cut off date. While you may be trying to piggyback the entire show onto the third movie, perhaps the Madoka fans who voted in this poll are able to judge the third movie as a standalone piece and are not just voting for it for the sole reason it has Madoka's name attached to it. And in that regard, they favored other anime over the third movie. While you may be highly obsessed with Madoka, the anime fandom as a whole doesn't just obsess over one show exclusively. They have since moved on to other franchises. It is possible to like more than one show.

Also, sales don't automatically determine popularity, because series like Danball Senki, Pretty Rhythm, and Gintama are on the list. Since you specifically said 'franchise', if you include actual franchises into the mix rather than just home video sales, then Madoka falls off the popularity list even more because you're now including children franchises into the mix which make more profit from merchandise than they do anime disk sales.

Quote:
Madoka Magica has been extremely popular ever since it aired in 2011 and continues to be more and more popular, like it or not. The 3rd movie was even listed for a nomination for an Oscar, nothing any of these others could even dream about.

Being nominated for an American award doesn't mean anything so don't use that as any kind of qualification. What Americans say about an anime means nothing to the Japanese market. I doubt very many Japanese fans have a dream of a show they like being nominated for a random American award.
kotomikun

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:18 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
The 3rd movie was really controversial. I can see people not voting for it.

This is probably the explanation, unfortunately. That and fascination with idol groups.

It's not a totally horrible list, overall, but I'm rooting for Senyuu. Seen far too many cop shows and 1984 wannabes to care about Psycho-Pass.
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:19 pm Reply with quote
Zatheyll wrote:
dan9999 wrote:
Zatheyll wrote:
Happy with Psycho-Pass being so high, but is it even possible for the best selling anime of the 21st century to be on the bottom?

Once the stupid hype passes you can see things for their real worth, even more with otaku short-time memory decease, this is nothing new.

That's the worst possible thing you could say about this list.

#1 is pure hype.

Madoka Magica has been extremely popular ever since it aired in 2011 and continues to be more and more popular, like it or not. The 3rd movie was even listed for a nomination for an Oscar, nothing any of these others could even dream about.

You can expect Madoka to be popular for years to come as everything else on this list falls into obscurity.

The 3rd movies BD isn't even out yet and it's already gone well over 100k preorders as of a few weeks ago.

It's impossible to just "forget" the best selling anime franchise of the past 14 years. Getting up there with Evangelion.

Though with this just being a prelim it's easy to forsee Madoka easily getting first when the poll gets popular in it's proper voting stage. 10k people isn't a lot by any means.

The Madoka Magica franchise (can we call it one yet?) is just as hyped up as the Love Live franchise if not moreso so I'm really not sure what it is you're complaining about here. Especially since the things you're going on about are precisely the things one would associate with hype and statistics as opposed to qualitative and subjective individual appreciation.

Gundam Seed/Destiny (2003-2005) has the edge on Madoka Magica in terms of overall disc media sales too and that's before we go into the matter of other merchandise, it bearing the Gundam label and all. Also Madoka Magica isn't even remotely close to Evangelion either in terms of popularity worldwide or profitability of the franchise. I don't know why so many hardcore fans of the franchise seem to think this...like yes it is quite profitable, but not in that league. It's like some people really do think that the Madoka Magica franchise is the absolute be all end all when there are in fact other mega-popular franchises out there with devoted fanbases.

Also it's worth clarifying since a lot of people seem very confused about it, but Madoka Magica was simply submitted for consideration by the Academy on the short list of Oscar nominations for best animated feature (lots of stuff falls under this distinction like for example Summer Wars in 2013 as well as Ponyo in 2009 and The Sky Crawlers in 2008) and was promptly tossed out along with several other titles while The Wind Rises was the only one to actually make the nominee list proper. It doesn't really mean anything in this case since it's slot could have been taken by just about anything else that would get thrown out by the academy though it would have meant something had it actually made the nominee list of course.
kotomikun

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:41 pm Reply with quote
Kaioshin_Sama wrote:
It doesn't really mean anything in this case since it's slot could have been taken by just about anything else that would get thrown out by the academy though it would have meant something had it actually made the nominee list of course.

Specifically, it would have meant that it was sponsored by Disney.

Madoka's not as popular as Eva because it isn't as old, and has insufficiently moe girls and/or not enough giant robots (see rest of the list in the article). It's not as popular as One Piece or Gintama; and it can't be, because it doesn't have the same type of mass appeal. I think the level of popularity it does have is pretty impressive (though less than it deserves) given how weird and brutal and artsy it is.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:45 pm Reply with quote
This is what happens when ya leave awards to the populace mob. Very Happy

Mister Ryan Andrews wrote:
Zatheyll wrote:

Being nominated for an American award doesn't mean anything so don't use that as any kind of qualification. What Americans say about an anime means nothing to the Japanese market. I doubt very many Japanese fans have a dream of a show they like being nominated for a random American award.

It wasn't even nominated - it was just eligible.
And yes, Japan does care about the Oscars. Hollywood is popular in Japan.
dan9999

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:45 pm Reply with quote
Kaioshin_Sama wrote:
Zatheyll wrote:
dan9999 wrote:
Zatheyll wrote:

Once the stupid hype passes you can see things for their real worth, even more with otaku short-time memory decease, this is nothing new.

That's the worst possible thing you could say about this list.

#1 is pure hype.

You can expect Madoka to be popular for years to come as everything else on this list falls into obscurity.

The 3rd movies BD isn't even out yet and it's already gone well over 100k preorders as of a few weeks ago.

It's impossible to just "forget" the best selling anime franchise of the past 14 years. Getting up there with Evangelion.

Though with this just being a prelim it's easy to forsee Madoka easily getting first when the poll gets popular in it's proper voting stage. 10k people isn't a lot by any means.

The Madoka Magica franchise (can we call it one yet?) is just as hyped up as the Love Live franchise if not moreso so I'm really not sure what it is you're complaining about here. Especially since the things you're going on about are precisely the things one would associate with hype and statistics as opposed to qualitative and subjective individual appreciation.

Gundam Seed/Destiny (2003-2005) has the edge on Madoka Magica in terms of overall disc media sales too and that's before we go into the matter of other merchandise, it bearing the Gundam label and all. Also Madoka Magica isn't even remotely close to Evangelion either in terms of popularity worldwide or profitability of the franchise. I don't know why so many hardcore fans of the franchise seem to think this...like yes it is quite profitable, but not in that league. It's like some people really do think that the Madoka Magica franchise is the absolute be all end all when there are in fact other mega-popular franchises out there with devoted fanbases.

Also it's worth clarifying since a lot of people seem very confused about it, but Madoka Magica was simply submitted for consideration by the Academy on the short list of Oscar nominations for best animated feature (lots of stuff falls under this distinction like for example Summer Wars in 2013 as well as Ponyo in 2009 and The Sky Crawlers in 2008) and was promptly tossed out along with several other titles while The Wind Rises was the only one to actually make the nominee list proper. It doesn't really mean anything in this case since it's slot could have been taken by just about anything else that would get thrown out by the academy though it would have meant something had it actually made the nominee list of course.

Indeed, thats otaku for you, typical mindset, they know no reason only their blindness exist, its a total waste of time to argue and reason with unbiased facts with them.
Rederoin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:55 pm Reply with quote
MadMan400096 wrote:
Hoppy800 wrote:
How in the world Fantasista Doll get into the Tokyo Anime Awards?

Considering sales were shit, no clue. But I don't care. The real crime is that the generic, overly silly, and at times insufferably saccharine thing got more votes than Girls und Panzer!

Seeing as its not the only series with 3k sales or less on that list, its not that surprising.

You keep calling Madoka the best selling anime franchise, but a few other anime have sold more than Madoka has.

In the 21st century? Only Bakamonogatari has outsold Madoka.

Hell, even if we include the pre-2000's, only 2 tv series have outsold the Madoka tv series.

Quote:
sales don't automatically determine popularity, because series like Danball Senki, Pretty Rhythm, and Gintama are on the list.

I agree, but you really shoulden't include Gintama in the list. The movie, that is listed on that list, actually had really good sales. The tv series itself is also doing really good in terms of sales, especially for a long runner.

dan9999 wrote:
Zatheyll wrote:

Sadly, for you(and not for us), Madoka had the biggest box office out of any late-nigth anime, and the movie BD are estimated to sell a ton.

I can't see this so called 'hype' passing any time soon.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:49 pm Reply with quote
rederoin wrote:
MadMan400096 wrote:
Hoppy800 wrote:
How in the world Fantasista Doll get into the Tokyo Anime Awards?

Considering sales were shit, no clue. But I don't care. The real crime is that the generic, overly silly, and at times insufferably saccharine thing got more votes than Girls und Panzer!

Seeing as its not the only series with 3k sales or less on that list, its not that surprising.

You keep calling Madoka the best selling anime franchise, but a few other anime have sold more than Madoka has.

In the 21st century? Only Bakamonogatari has outsold Madoka.

Hell, even if we include the pre-2000's, only 2 tv series have outsold the Madoka tv series.

Quote:
sales don't automatically determine popularity, because series like Danball Senki, Pretty Rhythm, and Gintama are on the list.

I agree, but you really shoulden't include Gintama in the list. The movie, that is listed on that list, actually had really good sales. The tv series itself is also doing really good in terms of sales, especially for a long runner.

dan9999 wrote:
Zatheyll wrote:

Sadly, for you(and not for us), Madoka had the biggest box office out of any late-nigth anime, and the movie BD are estimated to sell a ton.

I can't see this so called 'hype' passing any time soon.

I can't see anything outselling Dragon Ball Z, I am speaking on a world wide scale though not just Japan. I would also wager One Piece, Naruto, and a few other shonen works would be up there in addition long running works by the likes of Takahashi who had 100 plus episode runs, so even if they sold less per volume the number of volumes they had probably would also eclipse it.
Rederoin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:02 pm Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:

I can't see anything outselling Dragon Ball Z, I am speaking on a world wide scale though not just Japan. I would also wager One Piece, Naruto, and a few other shonen works would be up there in addition long running works by the likes of Takahashi who had 100 plus episode runs, so even if they sold less per volume the number of volumes they had probably would also eclipse it.

I'm talking about the average p/volume sales. Which is topped by, going by the first release, NGE(111k), Bakamonogatari(78k) and Madoka(71k). Those are not the full numbers, but thats the most we have access too.

When people are talking about anime sales, they tend to refer to the average p/volume sales. And to know whether dragonball outsold them on a worldwide scale, we need numbers.
But since this entire discussion is about a Japanese award, I think we should just keep it too the Japanese sales.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:21 pm Reply with quote
I was gonna say some things about this but It seems everyone in this thread just ignores everyone else's opinions anyway. Im just glad PP is on there
electricpatriot

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:27 pm Reply with quote
Yay! Love Live's on top!
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:35 pm Reply with quote
I voted for Free!. At least, that was my intent. The voting is all in "moon language", but I'm pretty confident I clicked through the right sequence of things for my vote to register. I could at least read "cancel" to know that's the option not to choose.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Rivailloli

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:52 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
I voted for Free!. At least, that was my intent. The voting is all in "moon language", but I'm pretty confident I clicked through the right sequence of things for my vote to register. I could at least read "cancel" to know that's the option not to choose.

I voted for Free! as well. It's really all I cared about in 2013 outside of Attack on Titan. I was considering Love Live! as well, but I liked Free! quite a bit more than that series. I would have maybe chosen Psycho-Pass, but I had already voted before I watched it these past few days. I'm surprised Project K is up there that high, I didn't even think it was that popular.

Anyway, it's an interesting list to see, last time I saw it Free! was in the top ten and Yuyushiki wasn't even on the list.

Last edited by Rivailloli on Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Nemui_Nezumi

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:54 pm Reply with quote
voted for Senyuu lol

I liked PP, Free and also K, but Senyuu is my absolute favorite of all of them
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3