• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Aya Hirano Briefly Returns to Twitter

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ashuraou

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:39 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
But I don't think those people should be banned for voicing their opinions, even if they "Make up" stuff to help their arguments

How could you ever think willfully making up "facts" to help your argument is OK in any kind of conversation, civil or otherwise?

If you have to make up things to help your point of view... your point of view is probably wrong.
Rextyn

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:48 pm Reply with quote
TrailOfDead wrote:
i don't have any financial interests in the Japanese entertainment sector, and i suspect nobody else here does either, so i'm not sure why anyone should care about the business point of view, unless they're going for the "the invisible hand of the market says it's okay for me to be an asshole" gambit.

It's that gambit, and it gives that crowd of media consumers some illusory yet overblown sense of power. Just look at the events surrounding the Free! anime. When that PV came out and there was speculation that a show might follow, that crowd was running around crowing about how KyoAni would never DARE make a show like that because "we are the fans and we own them." Then it did get made and the resulting shitstorm of entitlement was glorious. It's all the same thing with idol purity, gives some creepy segment of consumers the illusion that they own another (female) human being.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:05 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
But I don't think those people should be banned for voicing their opinions, even if they "Make up" stuff to help their arguments

"Lying to people is fine because it's just me helping my arguments, I shouldn't be banned for lying"

I like how you put "make up" in quotes like that isn't at all what you did. You lied. You said "okay I was wrong" and then proceeded to tell me that you think it's totally cool to lie to people if it helps your argument, apparently not realizing that basing your argument on stuff you lied about invalidates your argument.

I was considering letting you stay since you admitted to being wrong, which is all I initially asked for, but if your attitude is, sincerely, that it's OK to straight-up lie to people's faces over and over again to make your point, then we don't need you in this community.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:12 pm Reply with quote
I admit I was wrong for saying something without researching it first to make sure it was actually true. I'll apologize for that and will make sure what I say is true in the future. But what I won't do is change my opinions simply because people may think they're wrong. If thats not enough for you, then I guess I'll be gone. It was fun, guys.
Galap

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:12 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:

So basically, you're intellectually dishonest and any conversation with you is pointless because you don't care about whether what you say actually lines up with reality.

Zac wrote:

"Lying to people is fine because it's just me helping my arguments, I shouldn't be banned for lying"

I like how you put "make up" in quotes like that isn't at all what you did. You lied. You said "okay I was wrong" and then proceeded to tell me that you think it's totally cool to lie to people if it helps your argument, apparently not realizing that basing your argument on stuff you lied about invalidates your argument.

I was considering letting you stay since you admitted to being wrong, which is all I initially asked for, but if your attitude is, sincerely, that it's OK to straight-up lie to people's faces over and over again to make your point, then we don't need you in this community.

Is this it? Have we now finally seen the end of Ryan Saotome?
danilo07

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:16 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome lied,distorted and manipulated information A LOT.And he did all of that with the goal of putting everything inside his narrow and one-sided worldview.I will be happy to see him get banned.
jl07045

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:27 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
It was fun, guys.

It sure was. Unintentional flamebaits generate the best net drama.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:08 pm Reply with quote
After reading 8 pages of this drivel and crap I have just 1 question...who the hell cares? Seriously, who the hell cares if she comes back to twitter? How does this even matter to you? A random once popular celebrity you'll never meet came back briefly to twitter and now all this craziness restarts. People need to get a life. Sure I thought she was a decent VA. Sure she was attractive. Still is. So what? The level of craziness and tabloid crap posts allover the net this woman generates just boggles my mind. Who cares if she had sex. Who cares if she had a kid. Who cares if she changed her image. Who cares if she eats goats or flaming aardvarks or dresses up like Michael Jackson in a sailor outfit. Any of you this worried about her and her life need to put down the keyboard and go outside and play with a rock or pet a tree.
Ignatz

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:32 pm Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
Who cares if she had sex.

Brain-dead fans care.

Last edited by Ignatz on Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:36 pm; edited 2 times in total
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:34 pm Reply with quote
danilo07 wrote:
HitokiriShadow wrote:
"How dare that woman act like a human being, she's an *idol*"

This thread is disgusting.

Oh please,I am pretty sure people complaining about her never had sex and they are human beings too.
And winners of a Darwin award. Wink Now we know why otaku prefer 2D women. Laughing
LUNI_TUNZ

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:47 pm Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
or dresses up like Michael Jackson in a sailor outfit. A

Actually, that'd be awesome.
MacAttack270

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:18 pm Reply with quote
David F Smith wrote:
Nobody is saying that Ms. Hirano did not perhaps act counter to some obligation of her employment or another. What we're all saying is that such obligations and the system that produced them -- which she had to buy into if she wanted to make a living off her considerable talents as a singer and actress -- is effed up and bullshit and built on the deranged expectations of people whose attitudes toward women need to be torn down and rebuilt from jump street.

Well said Mr. Smith.

Having only jumped into the anime community within the past year, it's still a little surprising to me seeing some of the mindless drivel that's been spewed in this thread. Manchildren indeed.
phoenixalia

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:43 am Reply with quote
I'm shocked at how horrible some people can be. I'm shocked at this whole thread.

And Ryan, I don't personally have anything against you but some of the things you said in this topic were not very nice at all.
504NOSON2
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:17 am Reply with quote
The whole notion of forcing RyanSaotome to admit he was wrong -- not him doing it of his own commitment, especially when all he had to do was type a few words to save his account -- seems almost as pointless as when parents force their children to apologize for lying, when the kids are only sorry they got caught: it's completely pointless because he isn't sorry, and hopelessly ironic, because you're just making him lie, again.

The corporate world of the idol industry can really only merit these claims of being "effed up" and "wrong", if it were a coercive system (i.e. slavery, working animals, military conscription, etc). However, these females join the industry, of their own volition, which only last for a few years at most, knowing full well the expectations, and choose to take the idol route, as apposed to the alternatives. Perhaps we can stand on a point between completely tolerant and detached cultural relativism and arrogant, chauvinistic ethnocentrism, where we can, rationally, say: Hirano, and these women, have the right and liberty to have intimate relations or perform polyandry for all I care, if she wills. However, the masses of Wota who financially supported her have the right to criticize her, and stop giving her their money.

Just a few words on the whole "misogyny" issue. The word appears to have been highjacked in recent times. "Misogyny" is defined by Webster, Oxford, and numerous sociologists, as a "hatred or dislike of women/girls". Aristotle saying that "the courage of a man lies in commanding, a woman's lies in obeying" or Schopenhauer saying "woman is by nature meant to obey", are clear examples of hatred or dislike for women. A man, validly, pointing out the privileges of females, in the U.S. in particular, at the expense of males, and questioning the legitimacy of feminist claims in a misogynistic, patriarchal society, in which males are privileged at the expense of females, is said to hate women. This is dishonest, emotive talk, which shows a disinterest in both actual gender equality and honestly discussing the veracity of their arguments.

I enjoy this forum, even though it's sometimes controlled like a totalitarian state. So, I'd appreciate not getting banned for appropriately expressing my views.
Mister Ryan Andrews

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:52 am Reply with quote
504NOSON2 wrote:
The corporate world of the idol industry can really only merit these claims of being "effed up" and "wrong", if it were a coercive system (i.e. slavery, working animals, military conscription, etc). However, these females join the industry, of their own volition, which only last for a few years at most, knowing full well the expectations, and choose to take the idol route, as apposed to the alternatives.

Well said. It's part of the job title. Don't be an idol if you don't want to rules and regulations that come with it. If you find it 'effed up' then, well.. don't do it? Idols are groomed and pampered by their companies, so there's a contract and expectation out of all the money these companies put into you. It's just a job.

People can call it 'effed up' or 'bullshit' all they want. You can say that about a lot of jobs or industries you don't like. More power to you, I guess? That's the nice thing about opinions, everyone's got one and doesn't think their stinks.

CrowLia wrote:
I seriously doubt many people -if any- involved in the industry can be considered "normal people". I mean, remember that AKB48 girl that shaved all of her hair and made an apology video for having a boyfriend. When I brought the subject up with my Japanese teacher and asked why she had to do that he said "because they can't do that stuff", and as I tried to press the matter further he just kept saying "because it's wrong and they can't". The whole thing is horribly sick

Uh, you were in the wrong in that case because there was no issue to 'press'. He was right: they simply can't do that. As an idol, that is against the rules. ...There's nothing really else that needs to be said, I don't think. Your instructor's answer should have sufficed.

Rextyn wrote:
It's that gambit, and it gives that crowd of media consumers some illusory yet overblown sense of power. Just look at the events surrounding the Free! anime. When that PV came out and there was speculation that a show might follow, that crowd was running around crowing about how KyoAni would never DARE make a show like that because "we are the fans and we own them."

Wait, when the hell did this happen, again?
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 8 of 11