• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Aya Hirano Briefly Returns to Twitter

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yause

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:12 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Liking or dating doesn't implicitly mean sex though.

HIrano was specifically discussing sex and multiple partners, hence the firestorm. One thing she complained about was guys using condoms that are too thick; in fact, she had a numerical specification for appropriate thickness, so it was completely intentional.

It was a bold move for any up-and-coming entertainer, let alone a star within otaku fandom.

Again, Hirano's goal was to tap into the NANA market, a mainstream audience that embraces modernity, sexual freedom, and independence. By playing up edginess and youthful rebellion (and I'll add that it's image manipulation in the same way as purity for otaku; we don't know how true it is either), she hoped that teenage girls would look up to her. The plan didn't work, and appealing to the otaku base for continued support (to reduce ill will, she wrote up a blog post to request understanding and call them out as her "lifeline") only made it worse.

Lesson of the day: Don't take success for granted, assuming that otaku popularity guarantees a transition to mainstream popularity. If you want to sell edginess, capture the right market first. Otherwise, keep quiet about controversial matters.
TrailOfDead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:29 pm Reply with quote
i can understand her label firing her for conduct unbecoming. they're selling an image and she didn't fit that image. business is business, and nobody owes her a career.

but if her broken-brain weirdo fans decided that buying concert tickets/CDs/merch means she owes them something, and her not behaving to their standards is a personal slight against them, that's their problem.
EspressoTibbs

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:51 pm Reply with quote
Just because she pissed off a bunch of pathetic lonely man-children by not being the "pure" fantasy girlfriend that they desired doesn't mean she deserved to be harassed. These weirdos can't handle the fact that she's an actual human being and not some god damn creepy robot idol that exist purely for their own twisted fantasies.

Anyway, the new album sounds pretty great, can't wait to hear her as Lucy again when Fairy Tail comes back.
dan9999

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:08 pm Reply with quote
EspressoTibbs wrote:
Just because she pissed off a bunch of pathetic lonely man-children by not being the "pure" fantasy girlfriend that they desired doesn't mean she deserved to be harassed. These weirdos can't handle the fact that she's an actual human being and not some god damn creepy robot idol that exist purely for their own twisted fantasies.

Anyway, the new album sounds pretty great, can't wait to hear her as Lucy again when Fairy Tail comes back.

If she wanted to be a normal human being she could chose another line of work and noone but her boyfriend in turn, multiple sexual partners or family would have minded if her sexual looseness Laughing was discovered at some point, and even in the medium she could chose to be merely a voice actress and focus merely on hwr work, she did not and went the extra mile to actually piss off fans, of course back then fans would kiss the dirty floor she stepped on without a second thought.

Like or not, she happily entered this unhealthy virginal image selling market for the fame and money and while daring making it clear her disgust towards her supporters at the same time.

Its those fan that took her to such popularity that also HAVE ALL THE RIGHT to destroy her career and stop supporting her for whatever reason they wish as well. EVEN IF YOU PERSONALLY LIKE IT OR NOT.
TrailOfDead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:06 pm Reply with quote
"she shoulda known otaku are shitheads" doesn't absolve the otaku in question of being shitheads, though. instead of insisting that the rest of the world accommodate them, they should try not to be shitheads.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:11 pm Reply with quote
TrailOfDead wrote:
"she shoulda known otaku are shitheads" doesn't absolve the otaku in question of being shitheads, though. instead of insisting that the rest of the world accommodate them, they should try not to be shitheads.

don't bite the hand that feeds you, etc.
feuerwerke

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:34 pm Reply with quote
lol all of the pathetic otaku manchildren in this thread.
dan9999

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:43 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
TrailOfDead wrote:

don't bite the hand that feeds you, etc.

Absolutely.

i have lot of differences with hardcore otaku but I know better to know when they are in the right, this one is such example. Its people like Hirano and her agency that happily take advantage of otaku here, they are the real scum here not otaku even with all their obsessions that I dont like.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:17 pm Reply with quote
"How dare that woman act like a human being, she's an *idol*"

This thread is disgusting.
Kaisos Erranon

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:20 pm Reply with quote
dan9999 wrote:

i have lot of differences with hardcore otaku but I know better to know when they are in the right, this one is such example. Its people like Hirano and her agency that happily take advantage of otaku here, they are the real scum here not otaku even with all their obsessions that I don't like.

Congratumalations! You are an awful person.
*blows party horn*
danilo07

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:22 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:

Oh please,I am pretty sure people complaining about her never had sex and they are human beings too.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:28 pm Reply with quote
danilo07 wrote:
HitokiriShadow wrote:

Oh please,I am pretty sure people complaining about her never had sex and they are human beings too.

This makes precisely zero sense.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:30 pm Reply with quote
dan9999 wrote:
terrifying misogyny

That's enough out of you.

Reasonable people can really only handle so much nasty hate like this. That you're posting 3 times on every page with this crap makes it even worse, flooding the conversation with your particularly toxic brand of sexism.

I don't really understand why we're all expected to tolerate this level of obvious misogyny. Insofar as I have the ability to kick it out of these forums, however, I will.
danilo07

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:34 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
danilo07 wrote:
HitokiriShadow wrote:

It is a joke,because you linked her having having sexual relationship with another person as normal and human.And any asshole that expects woman to behave "purely" and are angered to see their idol be an actual human being,probably never had sex(because of their assholishness). But they are still human...yeah it is not a good joke.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:40 pm Reply with quote
danilo07 wrote:
HitokiriShadow wrote:

It is a joke,because you linked her having having sexual relationship with another person as normal and human.And any asshole that expects woman to behave "purely" and are angered to see their idol be an actual human being,probably never had sex(because of their assholishness). But they are still human...yeah it is not a good joke.

Oh, okay. I thought you were trying to make a serious counter-argument.

Last edited by HitokiriShadow on Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 11