• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Un-happy Endings

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Greed1914

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:56 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
TarsTarkas wrote:
Really looks like those who bought the two Funimation Hellsing Ultimate volumes are going to be screwed.

I won't regret getting those first 8 episodes even if the other two don't get released, just because the dub is so damned good. What I would regret is never getting to hear a dub for the last two. I think my biggest fear is that Funi will eventually license it, but will have waited so long that by then all the original cast will be unavailable and we'll end up with Michael J. Tatum as Alucard and Vic Mignogna as the Major. (both fine VAs, but not for those roles)

I wouldn't regret having to get the last two volumes as part of a full set. Heck, I've already double dipped on the first four since I have both the Geneon DVDs and then I wanted the blu-rays. The more support it gets, the more likely we'll get the rest of it, after all. But, like you said, I'm concerned that we won't get the cast back. Somehow it really feels like all the good luck in that regard has been spent since the cast was reassembled once for the first four volumes and again for the next four. It's not like the actors can afford to just twiddle their thumbs hoping to get called in again. I suppose we'll just have to wait and see.
Echo_City

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:28 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
Gina Szanboti wrote:
TarsTarkas wrote:
Really looks like those who bought the two Funimation Hellsing Ultimate volumes are going to be screwed.

I won't regret getting those first 8 episodes even if the other two don't get released, just because the dub is so damned good. What I would regret is never getting to hear a dub for the last two. I think my biggest fear is that Funi will eventually license it, but will have waited so long that by then all the original cast will be unavailable and we'll end up with Michael J. Tatum as Alucard and Vic Mignogna as the Major. (both fine VAs, but not for those roles)

I wouldn't regret having to get the last two volumes as part of a full set. Heck, I've already double dipped on the first four since I have both the Geneon DVDs and then I wanted the blu-rays. The more support it gets, the more likely we'll get the rest of it, after all. But, like you said, I'm concerned that we won't get the cast back. Somehow it really feels like all the good luck in that regard has been spent since the cast was reassembled once for the first four volumes and again for the next four. It's not like the actors can afford to just twiddle their thumbs hoping to get called in again. I suppose we'll just have to wait and see.

As long as they're still acting, and Funimation is willing to pay them an amount that they find sufficient to reprise their roles, when Funi finally gets clearance to release these, no matter how long from now that may be, what's the problem? Crispin Freeman and his Hellsing bros weren't just piddling around for all those years between Volume 1 and Volume 8 of HS:U, were they?

...We know that Funimation has made Micah Solusod their "poor man's" Jonny Yong Bosh. I think that it would be hilarious if they made J. Michael Tatum their "poor man's" Crispin Freeman, though Tatum's trademark debonair and effete voicing doesn't quite jibe with Crispin's trademark "upper-crust", "Juilliard" cheesiness. I'd prefer Jason Douglas, the "prodigal actor" who has returned to anime, as he's always been a favorite of mine.
Melanchthon

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:32 pm Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
Okay I have a question, when you are talking about the one disc releases, are you referring to a dvd or blu ray release, because clearly they are not the same.

I don't work on anime for a living, but have a decent collection, and several series including Utena have 6 or 7 episodes on one DVD disc. With that said and my rudimentary knowledge that Blu Rays are somewhere around 4 or more times bigger than DVDs, I don't see how its an issue to fit 12 episodes on one Blu Ray. Obviously 12 episodes on one DVD is another matter.

No expert here, but the standard DVD resolution is 720x480 -- 345,600 pixels per frame. A random grab of a Sentai BlueRay from my collection shows a resolution of 1080p, which is 1920x1080 -- 2,073,600 pixels per frame, or almost six times the number of pixels. Now, there are ways to compress the size without loss of quality, but that still adds up to quite a lot more space over time.

Just ignorant speculation, but if the OP and ED are the same for each episode, couldn't Sentai just encode them once and then repeat that same area each time? That could save ~30 minutes. Or they could do what Funi did with Slayers and encode the audio in Mono.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:53 pm Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:
As long as they're still acting, and Funimation is willing to pay them an amount that they find sufficient to reprise their roles, when Funi finally gets clearance to release these, no matter how long from now that may be, what's the problem? Crispin Freeman and his Hellsing bros weren't just piddling around for all those years between Volume 1 and Volume 8 of HS:U, were they?

That they weren't just sitting around waiting for the call is the point. They may be tied up in other projects when that call comes. And K.T. Gray did quit voice acting, and might not be up for however they arranged for her to do it last go. Some of the other actors might decide to move back to England or retire or something. You never know. As Greed said, I worry that the luck will run out. Because they were dead lucky to pull off what they did last time.

On a side question about eps/disk, why do they so often cram 8-9 episodes on one BD and only 3-4 plus some piddly extras (if that) on the 2nd disk, instead of splitting what all they have to encode more evenly? I don't have a lot of BD yet, but that's how Natsume and Michiko & Hatchin were divided, and some others.

Last edited by Gina Szanboti on Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:56 pm Reply with quote
Not a DVD/BR tech expert either, but my Adventure Time BRs have 26 episodes each (each episode is 11-12 minutes long, so that adds up to 13 anime episodes length) and the video quality is top notch. So it certainly can be done, the question is if Sentai can pull it off.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:03 pm Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
Okay I have a question, when you are talking about the one disc releases, are you referring to a dvd or blu ray release, because clearly they are not the same.

I don't work on anime for a living, but have a decent collection, and several series including Utena have 6 or 7 episodes on one DVD disc. With that said and my rudimentary knowledge that Blu Rays are somewhere around 4 or more times bigger than DVDs, I don't see how its an issue to fit 12 episodes on one Blu Ray. Obviously 12 episodes on one DVD is another matter.

Again, you're ignoring that the HD bitrates increase the filesize per episode. You're not simply taking the SD DVD episodes and putting them on a bigger disc, you're taking HD episodes that require more space. Like, a compressed-for-BD episode would basically fill a dual-layer DVD (6-8GB) with little room for anything else.

BDs are either 25 or 50 GB, and a dual-layer DVD is 8.5GB.

doctordoom85 wrote:
Not a DVD/BR tech expert either, but my Adventure Time BRs have 26 episodes each (each episode is 11-12 minutes long, so that adds up to 13 anime episodes length) and the video quality is top notch. So it certainly can be done, the question is if Sentai can pull it off.

I'd hazard a guess that Adventure Time's simple art and flat colors makes it easier to compress than anime with fine detailing and gradients.
varmintx

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:29 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

doctordoom85 wrote:

I'd hazard a guess that Adventure Time's simple art and flat colors makes it easier to compress than anime with fine detailing and gradients.
The audio is a meager DD 2.0 @ 192kbps.
Covnam

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:40 pm Reply with quote
I bought Geneon's original LE run for the first 4 Hellsing OVAs, but I'm waiting to see when, or even if, Funi will be releasing the last two eps. I'll gladly rebuy the whole thing in a 10 ep set since I'll then have it all on BD, but I'm not going to buy what's out currently and end up with owning only part of the same series again.
If Funi does eventually release it, I imagine that they'll release the last two eps together as a stand alone and an LE boxed version to hold the previous two releases. After that we could probably expect a complete 10 ep set if they don't just release one along with the last two ep set.

TarsTarkas wrote:

But they should have waited before releasing those two volumes last year, until they had the final episodes locked down. Their promotion for the series made it seem like there was no problems. As it stands now, those who bought 80% of the series thinking this was a done deal are not going to be happy campers, and they will be right in pointing their fingers at Funimation.

It costs money to license something. If they just sat on it without releasing it then that becomes nothing but a loss.
You definitely have the right to be upset with Funi for still not finishing the release, but I'm sure they'd love to finish releasing it as well. When did they say that there would be no issues with the remaining eps btw? Did they say that they had it all or did people just presume that would happen?
Unfortunately it's the nature of the industry that any release may be left unfinished for one reason or another.

Gina Szanboti wrote:
On a side question about eps/disk, why do they so often cram 8-9 episodes on one BD and only 3-4 plus some piddly extras (if that) on the 2nd disk, instead of splitting what all they have to encode more evenly? I don't have a lot of BD yet, but that's how Natsume and Michiko & Hatchin were divided, and some others.

I believe that normally the first disc is BD50 (a dual layer BD with 50GBs of space) and the second is BD25 (a single layer BD with 25GBs of space). Single layer BDs are cheaper then dual layers, but presumably 3 single layers are more expensive then one single and one dual layer, so most of the content gets put on the first larger disc, and the remainder gets put on the smaller second disc instead of spreading it out equally.
Sakura Shinguji

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:42 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:

Because the first disc is a BD50 and the second disc is a BD25. So, in terms of available space, the content *is* distributed evenly. And the studio gets to save money by not using two BD50s.

At any rate, the concern folks should have with Sentai's latest move really has to do with two things Justin notes in his article which shouldn't be downplayed or overlooked:

1) Sentai has a history of various problems with their Blu-ray releases, including video quality. They've said they're addressing by stepping up their quality controls, but ongoing glitches show that those actions either haven't been implemented yet, have been implemented to little effect, or (ideally) have been implemented but just haven't affected new releases due to the lag in scheduling between production and release.

2) Video quality isn't just about whether or not space is technically available, or whether or not other companies have put other sorts of content of equivalent or greater length on the same size discs, but the level of competence involved in the actual authoring and encoding process. Your neighbor might have less stuff to store in his garage than you do, but if he just throws it all randomly in boxes and then piles those boxes up haphazardly along the walls, the result is less than desirable.
yamiangie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:09 pm Reply with quote
With Hellsing Ultimate I've been worried that since it took so long for them to release it the sales for the box set of episodes 5-8 wasn't as strong as they'd like it to be.
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:53 pm Reply with quote
I waited awhile to buy Hellsing Ultimate 5-8 because I wanted a price drop.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:20 pm Reply with quote
@Covnam and Sakura Shinguji: See, I didn't even know blu-ray had dual layer disks like dvds. Smile That makes sense now. Thanks!
rinmackie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:24 pm Reply with quote
It would be nice if someone from Funimation would tell us something about Hellsing. I know they can't say anything definite but it would be nice if they could give some reassurance that the series will be finished.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:32 pm Reply with quote
I really can't blame publishers for not wanting to pony up the cash for more than the usual 13 episodes. Why would they want to commit any more money if they get a boost in circulation after 13? Kodansha surprised me with the amount of Chihayafuru episodes they green-lit (especially after the show's first two cours didn't really sell all that well). I figure that this is an exception rather than a rule these days. Sure Chihayauru got a nice sales boost for the manga, but I really doubt we will ever see any more anime for that title.

And then there are all those light novel 1 cour shows. I have to wonder if their animes boost sales at all. There seems to be an approved character design for so many of the light novel adaptations. The finished products all end up looking too much alike.
ultimatemegax

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:37 pm Reply with quote
tuxedocat wrote:
I really can't blame publishers for not wanting to pony up the cash for more than the usual 13 episodes. Why would they want to commit any more money if they get a boost in circulation after 13? Kodansha surprised me with the amount of Chihayafuru episodes they green-lit (especially after the show's first two cours didn't really sell all that well). I figure that this is an exception rather than a rule these days. Sure Chihayauru got a nice sales boost for the manga, but I really doubt we will ever see any more anime for that title.

Production credits for Chihayafuru for both seasons were:
Nippon Television
VAP

The top producer for the show is a big executive at NTV as well. The anime has nothing to do with Kodansha outside of paying royalties. If he wanted to greenlight more, more would be made.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4